Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Bob » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:07:54

do a mem /c /p and insure your loading via config.sys, autoexec.bat in
descending order of memory usage. it could just be the order your loading
that isn't allowing this device to go into the UMB's?

> Hi Bob,

> I have HIMEM & EMM386 loader and some drivers are allready loaded high. I
> have enough space in the upper memory, but the driver wont load high. He
> allways use the conventional memory. LSL does it. Maybe I can try it with
> DRDOS.

> Andreas

> > > 3COM 3C905C-TX:
> > > 3c90x.com MLID w/DME v5.23
> > > loaded high : not possible in the DOS of Win98
> > > uses 34'272 bytes

> > > Andreas

> > Why not possible? Just load HIMEM.SYS & EMM386.EXE, then either LH= or
> > DEVICEHIGH. Why won't it load high?

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:54:26

Hi Andreas,

It might the driver itself, it won't allow to be loaded high, or there is
no memory chunck available that will fit. Check the manufacturer's homepage
to see if there are alternate or newer drivers. Maybe you should try Central
Points RAMBoost, if you can get that nowadays. It is part of IBM PC DOS 7
and up, I think. RAMBoost will calculate the best memory configuration and
execute it.

Best Regards,
Hans

> Hi Bob,

> I have HIMEM & EMM386 loader and some drivers are allready loaded high.
> have enough space in the upper memory, but the driver wont load high.
He
> allways use the conventional memory. LSL does it. Maybe I can try it with
> DRDOS.

> Andreas

> > > 3COM 3C905C-TX:
> > > 3c90x.com MLID w/DME v5.23
> > > loaded high : not possible in the DOS of Win98
> > > uses 34'272 bytes

> > > Andreas

> > Why not possible? Just load HIMEM.SYS & EMM386.EXE, then either LH=
or
> > DEVICEHIGH. Why won't it load high?

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:17:45

I will try your advices. Thanks to all.

Andreas

Post by Bent Nielse » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 02:39:56

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:53:28 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder"

>>I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most less
>>memory and which are capable to get loaded high.

> I have 3 NICs

> Realtek 8029:
> pciodi.com MLID v6.00
> loaded high
> uses 8,512 bytes

I have some troble when I try to use this netcard on a AMD 2000+ on a
chaintech motherbord.
before I laod the driver:

mem:
D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem

     654336 bytes total memory
     654336 bytes available for DOS
     633696 largest executable program size

    4571136 bytes total EMS memory
    4194304 bytes free EMS memory

    2031616 bytes total XMS memory
    2031616 bytes available XMS memory
          0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
            DOS resident in High Memory Area
            High Memory Area in use

After I have load the driver:

D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>geosnet

D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>loadhigh D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\LSL
Novell Link Support Layer for DOS ODI  v2.20 (960401)
(c) Copyright 1990 - 1996, by Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.

The configuration file used was "D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\NET.CFG".
Max Boards 4, Max Stacks 4

D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>loadhigh D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\pciodi.com
Realtek 8029 PCI Ethernet MLID v6.00 (960117)
(C) Copyright 1993 - 1996 Realtek Semiconductor Co., LTD. All Rights
Reserved.

IRQ 10, Port E000, Node Address 403353CCC4 L
Max Frame 1514 bytes, Line Speed 10 Mbps, Bus ID 0
Board 1, Frame ETHERNET_II, LSB Mode
Board 2, Frame ETHERNET_802.2, LSB Mode
Board 3, Frame ETHERNET_802.3, LSB Mode
Board 4, Frame ETHERNET_SNAP, LSB Mode

D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem

     654336 bytes total memory
     654336 bytes available for DOS
     633696 largest executable program size

    4571136 bytes total EMS memory
    4194304 bytes free EMS memory

    2031616 bytes total XMS memory
    2031616 bytes available XMS memory
          0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
            DOS resident in High Memory Area
            High Memory Area in use

when I have run  on internet a time  then I get a bad  connect

The web browser on tell "wating for data"

I can se on the switch the netcard go = bad.

The net.cfg

PROTOCOL ODINSUP
         BIND PCIODI
         NO BUFFERED
LINK DRIVER PCIODI
         FRAME ETHERNET_II
         FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
         FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
         FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
         PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
         PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

Post by Hans Lindgre » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 05:57:19

> > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:53:28 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder"

> >>I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most
less
> >>memory and which are capable to get loaded high.

> > I have 3 NICs

> > Realtek 8029:
> > pciodi.com MLID v6.00
> > loaded high
> > uses 8,512 bytes

> I have some troble when I try to use this netcard on a AMD 2000+ on a
> chaintech motherbord.
> before I laod the driver:

> mem:
> D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem

>      654336 bytes total memory
>      654336 bytes available for DOS
>      633696 largest executable program size

>     4571136 bytes total EMS memory
>     4194304 bytes free EMS memory

>     2031616 bytes total XMS memory
>     2031616 bytes available XMS memory
>           0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
>             DOS resident in High Memory Area
>             High Memory Area in use

> After I have load the driver:

> D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>geosnet

> D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>loadhigh D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\LSL
> Novell Link Support Layer for DOS ODI  v2.20 (960401)
> (c) Copyright 1990 - 1996, by Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.

> The configuration file used was "D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\NET.CFG".
> Max Boards 4, Max Stacks 4

> D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>loadhigh D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET\pciodi.com
> Realtek 8029 PCI Ethernet MLID v6.00 (960117)
> (C) Copyright 1993 - 1996 Realtek Semiconductor Co., LTD. All Rights
> Reserved.

> IRQ 10, Port E000, Node Address 403353CCC4 L
> Max Frame 1514 bytes, Line Speed 10 Mbps, Bus ID 0
> Board 1, Frame ETHERNET_II, LSB Mode
> Board 2, Frame ETHERNET_802.2, LSB Mode
> Board 3, Frame ETHERNET_802.3, LSB Mode
> Board 4, Frame ETHERNET_SNAP, LSB Mode

> D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem

>      654336 bytes total memory
>      654336 bytes available for DOS
>      633696 largest executable program size

>     4571136 bytes total EMS memory
>     4194304 bytes free EMS memory

>     2031616 bytes total XMS memory
>     2031616 bytes available XMS memory
>           0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
>             DOS resident in High Memory Area
>             High Memory Area in use

> when I have run  on internet a time  then I get a bad  connect

> The web browser on tell "wating for data"

> I can se on the switch the netcard go = bad.

> The net.cfg

> PROTOCOL ODINSUP
>          BIND PCIODI
>          NO BUFFERED
> LINK DRIVER PCIODI
>          FRAME ETHERNET_II
>          FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
>          FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
>          FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
>          PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
>          PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

First,, do you use this for more than GEOS?

If not, edit NET.CFG this way, and try again:

;PROTOCOL ODINSUP
;          BIND PCIODI
;          NO BUFFERED
LINK DRIVER PCIODI
          FRAME ETHERNET_II
;          FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
;          FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
;          FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
          PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
          PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

BR,
Hans

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:19:12

Hi Bent,
You have an unusual net.cfg file. Can you try that one ?

Link Support
    Buffers 4 1514
Link Driver PCIODI
    Frame Ethernet_II
    Protocol IP   800  Ethernet_II
    Protocol ARP  806  Ethernet_II
    Protocol RARP 8035 Ethernet_II

The value 1514 means the maximum packet size over the network. Maybe your
driver will send packets which are too large for the net.

Andreas

> [...]

> >     4194304 bytes free EMS memory

> >     2031616 bytes total XMS memory
> >     2031616 bytes available XMS memory
> >           0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
> >             DOS resident in High Memory Area
> >             High Memory Area in use

> > when I have run  on internet a time  then I get a bad  connect

> > The web browser on tell "wating for data"

> > I can se on the switch the netcard go = bad.

> > The net.cfg

> > PROTOCOL ODINSUP
> >          BIND PCIODI
> >          NO BUFFERED
> > LINK DRIVER PCIODI
> >          FRAME ETHERNET_II
> >          FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
> >          FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
> >          FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
> >          PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
> >          PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

> First,, do you use this for more than GEOS?

> If not, edit NET.CFG this way, and try again:

Post by Bent Nielse » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:10:03

Quote:>>If not, edit NET.CFG this way, and try again:

>>;PROTOCOL ODINSUP
>>;          BIND PCIODI
>>;          NO BUFFERED
>>LINK DRIVER PCIODI
>>          FRAME ETHERNET_II
>>;          FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
>>;          FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
>>;          FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
>>          PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
>>          PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

Bad to but if I use a  other ISA card  when it a 8019chips them it run,
but the PCI 8029chips then it = bad.

Found Card 0: EtherID=C026CAB82D,IO=300,IRQ=A on 16-bit slot.
Driver is attached to card 0. It is configurated as:
IRQ 10, Port 300, Node Address C026CAB82D L
Max Frame 1514 bytes, Line Speed 10 Mbps, Bus ID 0
Board 1, Frame ETHERNET_II, LSB Mode

D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>
D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem

     654336 bytes total memory
     654336 bytes available for DOS
     633696 largest executable program size

    2473984 bytes total EMS memory
    2097152 bytes free EMS memory

    2031616 bytes total XMS memory
    2031616 bytes available XMS memory
          0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
            DOS resident in High Memory Area
            High Memory Area in use

D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:19:27

Hi Bent,
To me it seems that you have a problem with the network interface card,
it is something wrong with your driver AND/OR PCI hardware.
Have you tried this NIC in OS/2 or Windows? Does it work correctly, there?
Maybe something is wrong with the ODI driver or the ODI hardware support
(card)?

BR,
Hans

> >>If not, edit NET.CFG this way, and try again:

> >>;PROTOCOL ODINSUP
> >>;          BIND PCIODI
> >>;          NO BUFFERED
> >>LINK DRIVER PCIODI
> >>          FRAME ETHERNET_II
> >>;          FRAME ETHERNET_802.2
> >>;          FRAME ETHERNET_802.3
> >>;          FRAME ETHERNET_SNAP
> >>          PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
> >>          PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

> Bad to but if I use a  other ISA card  when it a 8019chips them it run,
> but the PCI 8029chips then it = bad.

> Found Card 0: EtherID=C026CAB82D,IO=300,IRQ=A on 16-bit slot.
> Driver is attached to card 0. It is configurated as:
> IRQ 10, Port 300, Node Address C026CAB82D L
> Max Frame 1514 bytes, Line Speed 10 Mbps, Bus ID 0
> Board 1, Frame ETHERNET_II, LSB Mode

> D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>
> D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>mem

>      654336 bytes total memory
>      654336 bytes available for DOS
>      633696 largest executable program size

>     2473984 bytes total EMS memory
>     2097152 bytes free EMS memory

>     2031616 bytes total XMS memory
>     2031616 bytes available XMS memory
>           0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
>             DOS resident in High Memory Area
>             High Memory Area in use

> D:\ENSEMBLE.422\GEOSNET>

> .

Comments: This message did not originate from the Sender address above.
        It was remailed automatically by anonymizing remailer software.
        Please report problems or inappropriate use to the

Newsgroups:      alt.fan.dune,alt.bigfoot.research,alt.music.mp3.winmx,alt.fan.tolkien
Subject: Christian Love!

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:13:22 +0200

On the same page as Ananova's "rerouted 666" news item,
there was this delightful example of standard xian love.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_800678.html

It's sort of like the nonsense I heard spewed by a cultholic
paedo^H^H^H^Hriest at parents *in church* when I was a kid:

"If your children don't grow up catholic, you'll go to hell."

Bob Dog

Dead man's family sue priest for Hell remark

A Catholic priest in New Mexico is being sued by the family of a
dead man he said would be going straight to Hell.

Relatives of Ben Martinez claim that, during his funeral, the
Rev Scott Mansfield said: "The Lord vomited people like Ben out
of his mouth to Hell."

According to the lawsuit, the priest was angry at Martinez for
not attending church during the last year of his life.

The suit, filed by his widow, three sons, a daughter and their
spouses, claims they were devastated and humiliated by the
priest's statements.

It also claims his comments at the funeral in Chama caused
relatives of Martinez to have nightmares, depression, anxiety
attacks and need therapy.

Mr Martinez's family say he wasn't able to attend Mass because
he had emphysema and suffered severe bouts of coughing.

He died at the age of 80 and about 200 people attended his
funeral.

The priest was subsequently transferred to another parish,
reports the Santa Fe New Mexican.

Story filed: 10:23 Thursday 17th July 2003

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:59:00

Bob schrieb:

Quote:

> In a nutshell, if the hardware works with DOS, the hardware works with GEOS.
> Simple enough?

Every hardware sold today is meant to be working with a standard windoze
PC.
Strange that there are so many incompatibilities and so many different
products with different prices if everything is the same?

Andreas was askign for the memory requirements in conjuction with
different hardware. And while all might work, some might work better or
at least leave more RAM free.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:01:56

"Thomas L. Christensen" schrieb:

Quote:> >Your driver really only resides in the high memory ?

> Oh yes! But it is only a 10 Mbit card.

Well, once the DSL and cable modems are above 10 MBit, we can look for
something better :)

Grossibaer