Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:53:28

Hi again...

I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most less
memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.

Used memory : 44'096 Bytes

The LSL.COM version 2.20:
Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

Any other data ?

I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too (like
the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is a
hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set especially
for this information.

Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files on
my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).

Sincerly

Andreas

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Bob » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:07:29

These "lists" have been done over and over again.

Quote:> Hi again...

> I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most
less
> memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
> For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.

> Used memory : 44'096 Bytes

> The LSL.COM version 2.20:
> Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

> Any other data ?

> I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too (like
> the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is a
> hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set especially
> for this information.

> Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files
on
> my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).

> Sincerly

> Andreas

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Bob » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:08:39

In a nutshell, if the hardware works with DOS, the hardware works with GEOS.
Simple enough?

> These "lists" have been done over and over again.

> > Hi again...

> > I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most
> less
> > memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
> > For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.

> > Used memory : 44'096 Bytes

> > The LSL.COM version 2.20:
> > Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

> > Any other data ?

> > I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too
(like
> > the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is
> > hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set
especially
> > for this information.

> > Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files
> on
> > my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).

> > Sincerly

> > Andreas

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Hans Lindgre » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:45:23

Hi Andreas,

Here is my report:

NIC: CNET Pro 200 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Driver: DM9PCI.COM
Used memory : 34'000 Bytes

The LSL.COM version 2.20:
Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

BR,
Hans

> Hi again...

> I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most
less
> memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
> For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.

> Used memory : 44'096 Bytes

> The LSL.COM version 2.20:
> Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

> Any other data ?

> I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too (like
> the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is
> hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set especially
> for this information.

> Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files
on
> my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).

> Sincerly

> Andreas

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:25:52

Hi Bob,

I asked about the memory requirement and not if it works with GEOS or not.

Andreas

PS: I like film "The fight club". And your name remember me at a guy
there... is that real ?

> In a nutshell, if the hardware works with DOS, the hardware works with
GEOS.
> Simple enough?

> > These "lists" have been done over and over again.

> > > Hi again...

> > > I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most
> > less
> > > memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
> > > For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.

> > > Used memory : 44'096 Bytes

> > > The LSL.COM version 2.20:
> > > Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

> > > Any other data ?

> > > I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too
> (like
> > > the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there
is
> > > hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set
> especially
> > > for this information.

> > > Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the
files
> > on
> > > my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).

> > > Sincerly

> > > Andreas

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:30:31

Hi Hans,

thank you very much for this information. I'm asking me how great the
difference can be between the drivers. You are the number one now !! Will
see what others reports.

To all,

there is one point I forgot to mention:

The count of the network buffers. Are there other settings (DOS-ODI) which
affect the memory usage of the ODI driver ?

Andreas

> Hi Andreas,

> Here is my report:

> NIC: CNET Pro 200 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
> Driver: DM9PCI.COM
> Used memory : 34'000 Bytes

> The LSL.COM version 2.20:
> Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

> BR,
> Hans

> > Hi again...

> > I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most
> less
> > memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
> > For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.

> > Used memory : 44'096 Bytes

> > The LSL.COM version 2.20:
> > Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

> > Any other data ?

> > I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too
(like
> > the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is
> > hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set
especially
> > for this information.

> > Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files
> on
> > my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).

> > Sincerly

> > Andreas

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:33:21

Ok, I forgot the driver name.
Driver: CPQNF3.COM version 2.43 (Compaq Netelligent NetFlex-3 MLID)

Andreas

Quote:> Hi again...

> I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most
less
> memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
> For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.

> Used memory : 44'096 Bytes

> The LSL.COM version 2.20:
> Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

> Any other data ?

> I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too (like
> the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there is a
> hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set especially
> for this information.

> Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the files
on
> my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).

> Sincerly

> Andreas

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Hans Lindgre » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:46:53

Hi Andreas,

Well, one thing I can think of is like for example the legacy ISA SMC8000
series NICs, which wants to utilize an upper memory area. I am not sure,
but I *think* it there was several areas available. That memory was used
by the NIC, and therefore not available to DOS nor GEOS through the EMS driver.

BR,
Hans

> Hi Hans,

> thank you very much for this information. I'm asking me how great the
> difference can be between the drivers. You are the number one now !! Will
> see what others reports.

> To all,

> there is one point I forgot to mention:

> The count of the network buffers. Are there other settings (DOS-ODI) which
> affect the memory usage of the ODI driver ?

> Andreas

> > Hi Andreas,

> > Here is my report:

> > NIC: CNET Pro 200 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
> > Driver: DM9PCI.COM
> > Used memory : 34'000 Bytes

> > The LSL.COM version 2.20:
> > Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

> > BR,
> > Hans

> > > Hi again...

> > > I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the
most
> > less
> > > memory and which are capable to get loaded high.
> > > For example, my Compaq DeskPro 4000 has an onboard ThunderLAN chipset.

> > > Used memory : 44'096 Bytes

> > > The LSL.COM version 2.20:
> > > Used memory : 5'376 Bytes

> > > Any other data ?

> > > I think we also could make a list about it and about sound cards too
> (like
> > > the fine SB16 or ESS18xx, which don't need any driver). I know there
is
> > > hardware compatibillity site for GEOS, but there is no data set
> especially
> > > for this information.

> > > Who like to help ? I will collect the data and present it with the
files
> > on
> > > my website (maybe Breadbox will it too).

> > > Sincerly

> > > Andreas

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:47:36

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:53:28 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder"

>I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most less
>memory and which are capable to get loaded high.

I have 3 NICs

Realtek 8029:
pciodi.com MLID v6.00
loaded high
uses 8,512 bytes

3COM Etherlink III PCMCIA:
3c589.com MLID w/DME v2.20
loaded high
C000-C3FF is excluded in emm386
uses 22.384 bytes

SMC8013WP/A:
smc8000.com v5.06
loaded high
DC00-DFFF is excluded in emm386
uses 15.008 bytes

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:24:25

Hi Thomas,

Unbelievable 8512 bytes for the ODI driver !! I hope that I will get one
too. This are 35584 Bytes less than my one. Or only 25% for the same
purpose. Your driver really only resides in the high memory ?

Andreas

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:53:28 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder"

> >I'm interested in a list about which NIC DOS-ODI driver needs the most
less
> >memory and which are capable to get loaded high.

> I have 3 NICs

> Realtek 8029:
> pciodi.com MLID v6.00
> loaded high
> uses 8,512 bytes

> 3COM Etherlink III PCMCIA:
> 3c589.com MLID w/DME v2.20
> loaded high
> C000-C3FF is excluded in emm386
> uses 22.384 bytes

> SMC8013WP/A:
> smc8000.com v5.06
> loaded high
> DC00-DFFF is excluded in emm386
> uses 15.008 bytes

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:20:50

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:24:25 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder"

>Your driver really only resides in the high memory ?

Oh yes! But it is only a 10 Mbit card. I used to have a Realtek 8139
NIC also, which is a 10/100 card, and it uses a driver called
rtsodi.com (v3.10), but I can't find it, so I cannot tell you how much
memory it uses. But it is a very good and cheap card. 10$ or so. Well,
I think I will go and buy a new one, just to test how much memory it
uses. I'll be back with more info soon...

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:34:52

3COM 3C905C-TX:
3c90x.com MLID w/DME v5.23
loaded high : not possible in the DOS of Win98
uses 34'272 bytes

Andreas

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Bob » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:37:22

Quote:> 3COM 3C905C-TX:
> 3c90x.com MLID w/DME v5.23
> loaded high : not possible in the DOS of Win98
> uses 34'272 bytes

> Andreas

Why not possible? Just load HIMEM.SYS & EMM386.EXE, then either LH= or
DEVICEHIGH. Why won't it load high?

Best Network Interface Card for GEOS

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:02:48

Hi Bob,

I have HIMEM & EMM386 loader and some drivers are allready loaded high. I
have enough space in the upper memory, but the driver wont load high. He
allways use the conventional memory. LSL does it. Maybe I can try it with
DRDOS.

Andreas

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:36:42

<< I have HIMEM & EMM386 loader and some drivers are allready loaded high. I
have enough space in the upper memory, but the driver wont load high. >>

Sometimes it is critical for the order in which the drivers are loaded -- you
may have to play with the configuration a tad to manually "tweak" it....  The
"automatic" loaders (DRDOS, IBM, MS, etc., sometimes simply take the quick/easy
way to load the drivers -- and that may not be the most efficient. IMO.

Ray

1. Interface Change from C= GEOS to PC GEOS.

I used GEOS on the Commodore 64/128 for a long time. It lead me to using
the Mac, and until a couple years ago I have not paid much attention to the
PC version of GEOS.

I am curious about why the interface was changed for the PC version. I
thought when I first came across PC GEOS, I would see a more robust version
of the Commodore GEOS, and was a little surprised to see something so
totally different. Was the interface change do to hardware differences? Was
it decided that the Commodore GEOS interface was flawed?

William Ove

2. Reporting MRTG

3. Network cards, which are the best?

4. CalComp DrawingBoard III-->OpalVision

5. PCI card with Controller Area Network Interface

6. Thanks for help with uemacs, 1 more question.

7. Compatibility of 3COM Etherlink III 3C509 Network Interface Card **ISA**

8. network interface card

9. help me with Network Interface Card

10. QNX4 Network Interface Cards

11. Network interface card installation

12. PCI card with Controller Area Network Interface