I'm back, I thought this group was dead

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Wayne S Garm » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:18:27



Wow, go away for 2 and a half years, and see what happens to the
group?  Hi folks, assuming anyone here remembers me.  I was very
active here from 1995 to just after 01/01/00.  I left because I was
forced to move to Win95 for support of my cable modem (required so I
could connect to work at acceptable speed to work from home).  Now
that my old P166 is about to be retired from the cable modem, I want
to put NDO back on it.

I know NDO2000 was released around the time I dropped using NDO, so I
trie dto go to the NewDealInc website to see what the latest version
was.  Surprise, the website doesn't exist anymore.

Could someone fill me in on what happened, and what the current status
of NDO/PCGeos is?  If this is an FAQ (it proably is), please point me
to it.

Thanks!

Wayne

--
   _     __  _      __                 |  I see the girls walk by dressed in
  ' )   /   //   / /  )            /   |  their summer clothes; I have to turn
   / / / o // __/ /    __.  __  __/    |  my head until my darkness goes...
  (_(_/ <_</_(_/ (__/ (_/|_/ (_(_/_    |  -Rolling Stones, "Paint It Black"

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Holger La » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:05:17




>Could someone fill me in on what happened, and what the current status
>of NDO/PCGeos is?  If this is an FAQ (it proably is), please point me
>to it.

Let's see who can aswer this first. :-)

The release of NDO2000 dragged on until spring 2001, when MyTurn (New
Deal's "sister" company) went bacrupt and took New Deal Inc. and all
its operations with it.

Officially, New Deal only "suspended operations", but for what it's
worth, it's gone.

However, just before, they managed to complete the beta testing of
NDO2000 and ship a couple of copies out. These are now referred to as
Beta 420.

Breadbox (whom you will remember as the great third party developer)
managed to buy their bancupt stock and keep on selling it (now
referred to as Beta 416, as some of the very last New Deal
improvements were missing).

Beside that, they cobbled together their own interim release called
Breadbox Ensemble. This was necessary because of copyright issues.

There are also neither confirmed nor denied rumours, that Breadbox is
working on a GEOS32 or protected mode version. Their resources are
limited, so it may take some time before we see a result.

Earlier this year, Geoworks also went belly-up and Breadbox managed to
secure the valuable (at least to us!) licensing and copyrights.

Please check www.breadbox.com for their latest news.

Another great Web site to check out is www.tvakatter.org, it hosts the
complete shareware collection and technical help section for GEOS.

Finally, as you may have noticed, there is the usual bickering going
on here in comp.os.geos.misc, whether GEOS is dead and how dead it is
and how stupid GEOS users are to want to "live in the past".

If that does not deter you, welcome back to the group. :-)

Holger

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Bob » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:21:08




Quote:>    _     __  _      __                 |  I see the girls walk by dressed
in
>   ' )   /   //   / /  )            /   |  their summer clothes; I have to
turn
>    / / / o // __/ /    __.  __  __/    |  my head until my darkness
goes...
>   (_(_/ <_</_(_/ (__/ (_/|_/ (_(_/_    |  -Rolling Stones, "Paint It

Black"

Shouldn't there be a period there instead of semi-colon? I know on my music
sheets it is a period. I think there are complete and separate sentences.

BTW, I hadn't noticed you were gone.

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Hans Lindgre » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:38:18



> Earlier this year, Geoworks also went belly-up and Breadbox managed to
> secure the valuable (at least to us!) licensing and copyrights.

Nope, Geoworks didn't go belly-up. Their assets were sold and the company
was sold to a investment group, which moved Geoworks toTexas. What Geoworks
will do, only the future can tell......a hint is to look at Geoworks homepage:
http://www.geoworks.com

BR,
Hans

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Pat » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:34:18


Geeeeeeez, Windows 95 brings back memories. I once owned a 486/100, with
64MB, that ran Windows 95, upgraded it to Windows 98 and then Windows 98SE.
My only problem was that new versions of Real Audio would not work on less
than a Pentium PC, but good old Windows Meida player was fine with stream
audio/video. I gave it to a 10 year old so she could use it as an Internet
PC. It has IE 6, Office Pro 97, and more. That dispels the mean spirited
rumor that Windows is not an option at the low end. However, I must admit
that I had good quality motherboard, memory, and disk drives. A good house
needs a solid fondation!




> >    _     __  _      __                 |  I see the girls walk by
dressed
> in
> >   ' )   /   //   / /  )            /   |  their summer clothes; I have
to
> turn
> >    / / / o // __/ /    __.  __  __/    |  my head until my darkness
> goes...
> >   (_(_/ <_</_(_/ (__/ (_/|_/ (_(_/_    |  -Rolling Stones, "Paint It
> Black"

> Shouldn't there be a period there instead of semi-colon? I know on my
music
> sheets it is a period. I think there are complete and separate sentences.

> BTW, I hadn't noticed you were gone.

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Tom Accuost » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:06:21



| Geeeeeeez, Windows 95 brings back memories. I once owned a 486/100,
| with 64MB, that ran Windows 95, upgraded it to Windows 98 and then
| Windows 98SE. My only problem was that new versions of Real Audio
| would not work on less than a Pentium PC, but good old Windows Meida
| player was fine with stream audio/video. I gave it to a 10 year old
| so she could use it as an Internet PC. It has IE 6, Office Pro 97,
| and more. That dispels the mean spirited rumor that Windows is not an
| option at the low end. However, I must admit that I had good quality
| motherboard, memory, and disk drives. A good house needs a solid
| fondation!

I setup a box for my parents - a higher end 486 with 16m RAM and Win95.
MS Works, AOL3(4?), and a shortcut to Mom's Wordperfect DOS. They used
if for a few years, and it suited their needs perfectly. I actually
tried setting them up with a GeoWorks machine, but they needed to boot
up WIn95 to use AOHell anyway, since GW at the time didn't do Web, and
AOHell had dropped the GW client support. Oh, and GW didn't do the
CD-ROM, either, and I didn't want them bouncing back and forth, since
yours truly ended up with the support phone calls.

When they were dont with that pc, I gave it 32 mg RAM and let my
daughter use it. Then I switched her to GW, and she was happy. Until she
wanted to play CD games...

Tom

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Pat » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:18:14


You're a parents have their own PC guru. <g> What more do you want from a
kid!




> | Geeeeeeez, Windows 95 brings back memories. I once owned a 486/100,
> | with 64MB, that ran Windows 95, upgraded it to Windows 98 and then
> | Windows 98SE. My only problem was that new versions of Real Audio
> | would not work on less than a Pentium PC, but good old Windows Meida
> | player was fine with stream audio/video. I gave it to a 10 year old
> | so she could use it as an Internet PC. It has IE 6, Office Pro 97,
> | and more. That dispels the mean spirited rumor that Windows is not an
> | option at the low end. However, I must admit that I had good quality
> | motherboard, memory, and disk drives. A good house needs a solid
> | fondation!

> I setup a box for my parents - a higher end 486 with 16m RAM and Win95.
> MS Works, AOL3(4?), and a shortcut to Mom's Wordperfect DOS. They used
> if for a few years, and it suited their needs perfectly. I actually
> tried setting them up with a GeoWorks machine, but they needed to boot
> up WIn95 to use AOHell anyway, since GW at the time didn't do Web, and
> AOHell had dropped the GW client support. Oh, and GW didn't do the
> CD-ROM, either, and I didn't want them bouncing back and forth, since
> yours truly ended up with the support phone calls.

> When they were dont with that pc, I gave it 32 mg RAM and let my
> daughter use it. Then I switched her to GW, and she was happy. Until she
> wanted to play CD games...

> Tom

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:23:24


IF the GPC had a simm slot or two, users not satisfied with the geos
software could have installed w98SE on it, just like you did on your
486/100, and then the GPC hardware would have been more marketable,would
have had a much longer life.. and maybe Myturn the company would have
survived???

> Geeeeeeez, Windows 95 brings back memories. I once owned a 486/100, with
> 64MB, that ran Windows 95, upgraded it to Windows 98 and then Windows 98SE.
> My only problem was that new versions of Real Audio would not work on less
> than a Pentium PC, but good old Windows Meida player was fine with stream
> audio/video. I gave it to a 10 year old so she could use it as an Internet
> PC. It has IE 6, Office Pro 97, and more. That dispels the mean spirited
> rumor that Windows is not an option at the low end. However, I must admit
> that I had good quality motherboard, memory, and disk drives. A good house
> needs a solid fondation!

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Bob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:58:54



Quote:> IF the GPC had a simm slot or two, users not satisfied with the geos
> software could have installed w98SE on it, just like you did on your
> 486/100, and then the GPC hardware would have been more marketable,would
> have had a much longer life.. and maybe Myturn the company would have
> survived???

MyTurn was only going to make any money if the buyers of the GPC bought the
ISP plan MyTurn was doing. That was their whole source of revenue. That was,
(and being in on the ground level I know), their entire source of money.
They couldn't give two flying leaps about the rest of it. The LAST thing
they wanted was for folks to buy the GPC and then not use GEOS and the
MyTurn ISP setup! God, how naive are you!
 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Pat » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:00:57


A friend always went for deals where he would get the computer for free if
he signed up for a service that obviously made money on high subscription
fees. Isn't that partially the revenue model for these Cellular companies
that give away a phone for one or two year contracts?




> > IF the GPC had a simm slot or two, users not satisfied with the geos
> > software could have installed w98SE on it, just like you did on your
> > 486/100, and then the GPC hardware would have been more marketable,would
> > have had a much longer life.. and maybe Myturn the company would have
> > survived???

> MyTurn was only going to make any money if the buyers of the GPC bought
the
> ISP plan MyTurn was doing. That was their whole source of revenue. That
was,
> (and being in on the ground level I know), their entire source of money.
> They couldn't give two flying leaps about the rest of it. The LAST thing
> they wanted was for folks to buy the GPC and then not use GEOS and the
> MyTurn ISP setup! God, how naive are you!

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Bob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:33:55



Quote:> A friend always went for deals where he would get the computer for free if
> he signed up for a service that obviously made money on high subscription
> fees. Isn't that partially the revenue model for these Cellular companies
> that give away a phone for one or two year contracts?

Sure. MyTurn's plan was to make its' money off its' ISP plan. The GPC was
configured to automate that process for the buyer. They made next to nothing
off the PC as IIRC, the only way to talk a retailer into actually taking a
shot at selling the GPC was to give them $100, (or so), per unit. Why else
would a retailer bother with a product like that? When one thinks of the
millions invested by MyTurn on the GPC and what a complete and utter failure
it was, it is plain and cold fact that again, anything GEOS is doomed. Has
been since 1990. Hasn't changed since. Never will. If a company with the
cash flow MyTurn had couldn't make it happen, BBX is a grain of sand of the
beach. Two guys, and a garage in FLA. A hobby for both of 'em. I'm sure one
has his retirement all set from the US Government, so he don't have nothin'
to lose.
 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Pat » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:01:36


Sort of like Gillette giving away the razors to sell you the razor blades.
;-)




> > A friend always went for deals where he would get the computer for free
if
> > he signed up for a service that obviously made money on high
subscription
> > fees. Isn't that partially the revenue model for these Cellular
companies
> > that give away a phone for one or two year contracts?

> Sure. MyTurn's plan was to make its' money off its' ISP plan. The GPC was
> configured to automate that process for the buyer. They made next to
nothing
> off the PC as IIRC, the only way to talk a retailer into actually taking a
> shot at selling the GPC was to give them $100, (or so), per unit. Why else
> would a retailer bother with a product like that? When one thinks of the
> millions invested by MyTurn on the GPC and what a complete and utter
failure
> it was, it is plain and cold fact that again, anything GEOS is doomed. Has
> been since 1990. Hasn't changed since. Never will. If a company with the
> cash flow MyTurn had couldn't make it happen, BBX is a grain of sand of
the
> beach. Two guys, and a garage in FLA. A hobby for both of 'em. I'm sure
one
> has his retirement all set from the US Government, so he don't have
nothin'
> to lose.

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:21:37


if you are using geos to build an isp, then send out geos on a compact
disk like aol did, and send a hardware modem with it if the enduser  is
stuck with an awful winmodem...  this would ahve been a lot cheaper than
sending out a perfectly good, powerful enough but ridiculed in the press
whole computer that ended up not selling.

a geos based product selling for under $100 would ahve been fine  tied
ot Myturns ISP only.. just like a web tv..  but for a much more
expensive  pc, myturn should have partnered with all the major pure
internet isps -- prodigy, earthlink, netzero , etc (but of course not
MSN)..  and taken a cut of any isp subscription revenue from GPC based
internet users.  going it alone against microsoft is suicidal

and the LAST thing MYTurN should have wanted was peopel NOT BUYING the
GPC at all, leaving it on store shelves and in warehouses, ridiculed for
its perceived high price (when compared to ISP subsidized PCs) and its
supposedly (but not really) out of date hardware  which even pat of all
people admits you can put win98se on .

build the GPC into a keyboard coputer nowadays with usb2.0  ports, a
32mb USB drive with geos preloaded,  no hard drive, no floppy, no CDROM,
but with ethernet adn the 56k modem ,  sell it as cheaply as possible..
  won't go over in america but it just might overseas in all those
countries considering using linux to get out from under microsoft's
oppressive and expensive licensing schemes...


> MyTurn was only going to make any money if the buyers of the GPC bought the
> ISP plan MyTurn was doing. That was their whole source of revenue. That was,
> (and being in on the ground level I know), their entire source of money.
> They couldn't give two flying leaps about the rest of it. The LAST thing
> they wanted was for folks to buy the GPC and then not use GEOS and the
> MyTurn ISP setup! God, how naive are you!

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:41:01



> Sure. MyTurn's plan was to make its' money off its' ISP plan. The GPC was
> configured to automate that process for the buyer. They made next to nothing
> off the PC as IIRC, the only way to talk a retailer into actually taking a
> shot at selling the GPC was to give them $100, (or so), per unit. Why else
> would a retailer bother with a product like that? When one thinks of the
> millions invested by MyTurn on the GPC and what a complete and utter failure
> it was, it is plain and cold fact that again, anything GEOS is doomed.

nothing with geos is doomed..  geos is a very useful, high quality
software product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
competitive offerings.  GEOS has been marginalized by unethical
competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
THE insurmountable  obstacle to selling geos.

maybe one day someone will figure a way to sell or distribute geos
cheaply or freely, so customers might say hey, lets try it, .. not much
of a loss  in money or time if it doesn't fulfill our needs, adn much to
gain if it does..

and when a geos user base begins to grow, programmers will have
something ot program for and hopefully sell to....

  Has

Quote:> been since 1990. Hasn't changed since. Never will. If a company with the
> cash flow MyTurn had couldn't make it happen, BBX is a grain of sand of the
> beach. Two guys, and a garage in FLA. A hobby for both of 'em. I'm sure one
> has his retirement all set from the US Government, so he don't have nothin'
> to lose.

 
 
 

I'm back, I thought this group was dead

Post by Tom Accuost » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:21:17



|
| nothing with geos is doomed..  geos is a very useful, high quality
| software product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
| competitive offerings.  GEOS has been marginalized by unethical
| competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
| too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
| THE insurmountable  obstacle to selling geos.
|
|
|
| maybe one day someone will figure a way to sell or distribute geos
| cheaply or freely, so customers might say hey, lets try it, .. not
| much of a loss  in money or time if it doesn't fulfill our needs, adn
| much to gain if it does..
|
| and when a geos user base begins to grow, programmers will have
| something ot program for and hopefully sell to....

I like to play word games. Just for fun, I substituted references to
GEOS with "buggy whips" in this post:

"nothing with buggy whips are doomed..  buggy whips are a very useful,
high quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects
to competitive offerings.  Buggy whips have been marginalized by
unethical competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a
perceived too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which
became THE insurmountable  obstacle to selling buggy whips."

Okay, maybe that was unfair. Let's try this:

"nothing with Amigas are doomed..  Amigas are a very useful, high
quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
competitive offerings.  Amigas have been marginalized by unethical
competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
THE insurmountable  obstacle to selling Amigas."

Hmm, that seems a bit harsh. Let's try another:

"nothing with Betamax is doomed..  Betamax is a very useful, high
quality product every bit as good adn even better in many respects to
competitive offerings.  Betamax has been marginalized by unethical
competition adn poor makreting/managemnt decisions and by a perceived
too high of a price, relative ot other marekt offerings, which became
THE insurmountable  obstacle to selling Betamax."

My point is that you could apply the same reasoning to any number of
products that were very good when introduced, even those considered to
be "ahead of their time". Unfortunately, marketing pressures, licensing
issues, and yes, technological changes (I was going to say "advances",
but didn't want to sound cruel) all contribute to the "success" of a
product.

I *still* hear friends swear that Beta was better, and it's been 20
years since VHS has overwhelmingly taken over the market (at least in
the US). I've seen the Amigas. Really nice machines, and a hell of a lot
more useful as a "home computer" than the Commodore 64 that I had. Buggy
whips? Umm, I have some friends with eclectic * tastes, so
apparently there's still a market for them, albeit not for their
originally intended usage. <weg>

You know, for a (virtually) dead piece of software, this group generates
more discussion than would be considered sane for most non-GEOS involved
people.

Just an observation.

Tom

--
 -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GSS/O d-(+) s: a+ C++ L> W++ N++ w+(--) O?>+ M PS (++)
PE (+++) Y+(-) PGP X+ t+ 5-(+) X R-
tv---(-) b++(+++) DI++++ D++ e++>+++ h---->+ r++++>* y++++**
   ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------