GEOS32 - when...if....or.... (was: No Post in days)

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:06:03

>i wonder if PM GEOS, (32-bit GEOS), or whatever will when...if....or....

I also wonder... Will GEOS32 be GEOS at all? Or wil it be a completely
new system? Will the programmers need a new SDK? Will it still run
smooth on my 386? Will it still (need to) run on top of DOS?  Will it
be compatible with the apps we use today? I think some of the newest
apps already need GEOS ver. 4 to run - is it possible to make a 32 bit
(or PM?) version and still maintain backward compability? And when
will we get peace in the world?

--
Thomas L. Christensen - Svendborg, Denmark

GEOS32 - when...if....or.... (was: No Post in days)

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:48:15

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:06:03 +0100, Thomas L. Christensen

>I also wonder... Will GEOS32 be GEOS at all? Or wil it be a completely
>new system? Will the programmers need a new SDK? Will it still run

Is everybody reading this group beta-testers, and therefore forbidden
to talk about what they know? Isn't there anyone here who can come up
with a guess about how a future GEOS could be? Or discuss possible
ways to get GEOS32 and still maintain those smart things that makes
GEOS smart? I know it has been discussed before, but ...

--

Post by Douglas A. Tayl » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:30:41

>On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:06:03 +0100, Thomas L. Christensen

>>I also wonder... Will GEOS32 be GEOS at all? Or wil it be a completely
>>new system? Will the programmers need a new SDK? Will it still run

>Is everybody reading this group beta-testers, and therefore forbidden
>to talk about what they know? Isn't there anyone here who can come up
>with a guess about how a future GEOS could be? Or discuss possible
>ways to get GEOS32 and still maintain those smart things that makes
>GEOS smart? I know it has been discussed before, but ...

I thought they were just going to change the memory-handling routines to
allow flat 32-bit addressing.  Of course, that might require recompiling
everything if you want it to run.  I dunno.

I was checking out an interesting app yesterday at Sourceforge.net.
It was called bochs (pronounced 'box').  It's an effort to completely
virtualize an x86 machine that'll run under Linux or Solaris or
MacOS or whatever.  I was able to boot up a FreeDOS machine on my
Redhat Linux box at home with little effort.  There's apparently
no easy way to get stuff into or out of the virtual hard drive yet,
at least not that I saw, but it would be interesting to try to get
GEOS to work on that.

Unlike DOSEmu, there's no requirement that your physical hardware
be x86-based.  Theoretically I could compile bochs on the Linux
partition of our soon-to-be-installed IBM mainframe.  Wouldn't it be
cool to run Breadbox Ensemble on a Big Iron?
--
   Doug Taylor                         |   Nothing real can be threatened.
   The Ohio State University           |   Nothing unreal exists.

GEOS32 - when...if....or.... (was: No Post in days)

what would possibly be in beta?

Post by Bob » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 09:01:17

> > Is everybody reading this group beta-testers, and therefore forbidden
> > to talk about what they know? Isn't there anyone here who can come up
> > with a guess about how a future GEOS could be? Or discuss possible
> > ways to get GEOS32 and still maintain those smart things that makes
> > GEOS smart? I know it has been discussed before, but ...
> > --
> > Thomas L. Christensen - Svendborg, Denmark

> what would possibly be in beta?

I should add that it seems to me that for all the "talk", BBX seems quite
happy to do exactly what ND did. Sit on an old and tired real-mode DOS based
GUI, put as little effort as possible into fixes or any type of R&D, and
squeeze whatever marginal life, (profit), they can outta it. I and possibly
all of us expected more but in reality how could we? BBX is two guys and a
fishing boat. No cash flow. No R&D. Just a republisher.

GEOS32 - when...if....or.... (was: No Post in days)

Post by John Howar » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 04:56:04

ROFL!!!!  Bob, where'd you get that copy of our business plan?  And
how'd you know about the fishing boat?  But I don't do fishing, maybe a
little golf now and then...

Just to set the record straight, Breadbox has put more programming,
*, sweat & tears into Geos desktop software than any other group,
and we're still around.  We think there's still some life in this OS and
we're working hard to meet our business plan.

I'll let y'all know if we ever decide to pack it in!

John ;-)

> I should add that it seems to me that for all the "talk", BBX seems quite
> happy to do exactly what ND did. Sit on an old and tired real-mode DOS based
> GUI, put as little effort as possible into fixes or any type of R&D, and
> squeeze whatever marginal life, (profit), they can outta it. I and possibly
> all of us expected more but in reality how could we? BBX is two guys and a
> fishing boat. No cash flow. No R&D. Just a republisher.

GEOS32 - when...if....or.... (was: No Post in days)

Post by Bob » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:46:45

Quote:> Just to set the record straight, Breadbox has put more programming,
> *, sweat & tears into Geos desktop software than any other group,
> and we're still around.  We think there's still some life in this OS and
> we're working hard to meet our business plan.

Ah Commander, but the *, sweat & tears has been put into the same old
GEOS. It's like spackling and old house's walls instead of gutting it and
reframing and sheetrocking.

It is 32-bit PM GEOS or nothing. The old 16-bit real-mode DOS-based GUI is a
nothin'. I really feel that BBX or whomever is doing zippo if all they is
doin' is patchin' up and old beat up real-mode GUI.

Quote:> John ;-)

Post by Hans Voge » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:40:33

> Ah Commander, but the *, sweat & tears has been put into the same old
> GEOS. It's like spackling and old house's walls instead of gutting it and
> reframing and sheetrocking.

> It is 32-bit PM GEOS or nothing. The old 16-bit real-mode DOS-based GUI is
> a nothin'. I really feel that BBX or whomever is doing zippo if all they
> is doin' is patchin' up and old beat up real-mode GUI

I fully acknowledge your point, Bob.

But - Does the world really need another 32-bit OS? I mean, there's
Windows, there's Linux, there are some more Unix-based ones (lacking
importance, though), there's even some sort of OS/2 community left...

What would a 32-bit Geos be good for, besides of the ump*th re-invention
of the wheel?

Well, a few days ago I really had nothing to do, so I went to Hannover
which is only an hour from my place, and spent a whole day at the CeBit
computer show.
I haven't seen everything, of course, -that's almost impossible within 8
hours- but my strong impression was that the market is fed well with
operating systems.

OK, if a new star were born, it would have to be cheaper than other
commercial ones, more stable, more user-friendly, etc.etc.etc....

The niche Geos resides in will probably not expand, maybe shrink. But this
niche is at least a place to live in. What would happen to Geos if it
crawls out of it?

Hmm, for BBx, there would be still the fishing boat option ;-)

Reg's,

Hans.

Post by Roge » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:47:04

> > Ah Commander, but the *, sweat & tears has been put into the same
old
> > GEOS. It's like spackling and old house's walls instead of gutting it
and
> > reframing and sheetrocking.

> > It is 32-bit PM GEOS or nothing. The old 16-bit real-mode DOS-based GUI
is
> > a nothin'. I really feel that BBX or whomever is doing zippo if all they
> > is doin' is patchin' up and old beat up real-mode GUI

> I fully acknowledge your point, Bob.

> But - Does the world really need another 32-bit OS? I mean, there's
> Windows, there's Linux, there are some more Unix-based ones (lacking
> importance, though), there's even some sort of OS/2 community left...

> What would a 32-bit Geos be good for, besides of the ump*th
re-invention
> of the wheel?

Less memory errors, that i get all the time.  Less software is software is
having diffuculty please restart?  I thought someone said that those would
be fixed.  maybe I am wrong.

Quote:

Post by Bob » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 01:03:23

> > Ah Commander, but the *, sweat & tears has been put into the same
old
> > GEOS. It's like spackling and old house's walls instead of gutting it
and
> > reframing and sheetrocking.

> > It is 32-bit PM GEOS or nothing. The old 16-bit real-mode DOS-based GUI
is
> > a nothin'. I really feel that BBX or whomever is doing zippo if all they
> > is doin' is patchin' up and old beat up real-mode GUI

> I fully acknowledge your point, Bob.

> But - Does the world really need another 32-bit OS? I mean, there's
> Windows, there's Linux, there are some more Unix-based ones (lacking
> importance, though), there's even some sort of OS/2 community left...

Sure! GEOS or any 16-bit real-mode GUI/OS is too constrained by the 640K
barrier!

Quote:> What would a 32-bit Geos be good for, besides of the ump*th
re-invention
> of the wheel?

The same "things" any 32-bit PM is capable of. 4.3 gig's of addressable
memory address space. I'd love to see GEOS have its' own real-mode loaders
also.

Quote:>> Reg's,

> Hans.

GEOS32 - when...if....or.... (was: No Post in days)

Post by hyubs » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 03:37:39

yes, the world needs another OS, preferrably a free one that is as easy
to use as windows but costs less in licensing and support, electricity
used, and landfills fille dwith obsolete PC hardware..

there is no competition in the low resource full featured OS market..
everything else is bloatware.. as bloated as windows or worse.

only geos improves on this bloat problem without sacrificing features.

teh world realy does need geos developement to continue.

Post by Edward Di Geronimo Jr » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:55:07

> But - Does the world really need another 32-bit OS? I mean, there's
> Windows, there's Linux, there are some more Unix-based ones (lacking
> importance, though), there's even some sort of OS/2 community left...

> What would a 32-bit Geos be good for, besides of the ump*th re-invention
> of the wheel?

Well, 16 bit GEOS barely works anymore these days. Most of the time
spent on GEOS development is spent making things fit into memory. Yeah
small apps aren't a problem, but I'd say for each feature added to the
browser, at least 50% of the time spent on it is optimizing its memory
usage. And lets not forget that the more the core of the OS is expanded,
the less memory available for apps to use.

There's no point in attempting any serious new development on 16 bit GEOS.

Ed