Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:57:21

Bob schrieb:

Quote:

> DOS partition is only the legacy term for a FAT16 volume. It just happens
> that NT can also use FAT16 as an FS. Don't dance Jens. Your wrong.

'DOS partition' can also mean 'FAT12', while Extended DOS partition does
not even mean a real partition and even lass a partition with any FS on
it. And since Win95B, DOS partition can also mean FAT32.
As I already stated: repeating the errors (in naming partition types)
others made, does not make them correct.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:06:42

Bob schrieb:

Quote:

> No. Technically, (I don't care about common usage), there are partitions.
> Your talking about a volume name. A partition is created with a partitioning
> app, be it FDISK, DURID etc. You can only create "real" partitions, such a
> primary DOS, Extended, Logical..etc., depending on the OS and other
> variables.

So tell me what an 'extended partition' is. Never seen one (physically).
It's just a nice name for a complex process for creating something
virtual that the nomal fdisk user wouldn't understand anyway.
Again, you stepped into your own traps. An extended partition is
definitely not a REAL partition.

Quote:> You can then create a file system on those partitions. No where,
> no how can you create a GEOS partition, any more then you can create a
> Windows 3.1x, or 9x partition.

Before you put a file system onto a partition, ALL partition types are
100% identical. Except for the 'intended partition type and file system'
marker.
And the volume names (if the partition is treated as a volume at all) is
part of the file system you put onto this partition. Partitions don't
have a name. They have a start and a length. And a byte for noting down
the intended purpose (which does not necessarily match the real
purpose).

I created, changed and rescued enough partitions without any tool but a
plain disk sector editor to exactly know what I'm talking about.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:00:16

Quote:

> LOL!  You're losing it sir!  It's just pixels on the screen! You're the
one
> attaching the definition to it - not me. And since it is simply letters on
the
> screen, it is as valid a screen name as any "random generated" series of
> letters and/or numbers...

> Ray

Why? Because u say so? I'm not the one that can't let go of the past. You
only keep the GWRep because it "reminds" you of back when. It is not a
problem to change your email address, notify those in your address book, and
have your email forwarded. You don't because you still find some ludicrous
value to GWRep.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:01:59

Yes if 32MB or under. Not too common eh? Extended partitions do not exist
for any use unless they have logical partitions. So when one uses the term
DOS partition, one only means a partition created with FDISK. But you know
that.

Quote:> Bob schrieb:

> > DOS partition is only the legacy term for a FAT16 volume. It just
happens
> > that NT can also use FAT16 as an FS. Don't dance Jens. Your wrong.

> 'DOS partition' can also mean 'FAT12', while Extended DOS partition does
> not even mean a real partition and even lass a partition with any FS on
> it. And since Win95B, DOS partition can also mean FAT32.
> As I already stated: repeating the errors (in naming partition types)
> others made, does not make them correct.

> Grossibaer

> --
> Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
> they are not.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:04:09

Quote:> Bob schrieb:

> So tell me what an 'extended partition' is. Never seen one (physically).
> It's just a nice name for a complex process for creating something
> virtual that the nomal fdisk user wouldn't understand anyway.
> Again, you stepped into your own traps. An extended partition is
> definitely not a REAL partition.

Nope. It is really of no value except to place logical partitions in. But
you knew that.

Quote:> I created, changed and rescued enough partitions without any tool but a
> plain disk sector editor to exactly know what I'm talking about.

Many times have I also. It really is quite simple. Perhaps not to you :)

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:44:42

Bob schrieb:

> > Bob schrieb:

> > So tell me what an 'extended partition' is. Never seen one (physically).
> > It's just a nice name for a complex process for creating something
> > virtual that the nomal fdisk user wouldn't understand anyway.
> > Again, you stepped into your own traps. An extended partition is
> > definitely not a REAL partition.

> Nope. It is really of no value except to place logical partitions in. But
> you knew that.

Well, it's more than that. The purpose of an extended patition is to
place a maximum of one physical partition into the virtual drive formed
by the extended partition, and to hold the information of maybe another
extended partition inside this virtual drive which then can hold another
physical partition and an extended partition and so on. You won't see
this in FDISK, but this is how it really works.

Quote:> > I created, changed and rescued enough partitions without any tool but a
> > plain disk sector editor to exactly know what I'm talking about.

> Many times have I also. It really is quite simple. Perhaps not to you :)

It's not as simple as it looks. if all is okay, well, then all is
simple. If not, it can become very complex and difficult.
Or why do you think that professionals can still make an awful lot of
money with rescuing data from drives where just the partition table has
been damaged? If it would be so simple, I wonder why the people don't
help themselves.

Grossibaer

--

Post by Raymond Anco » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:56:28

>What has a random computer generated email to do with using such an ancient
>preface as GWRep, (GeoWorks Representative)? That hasn't been around since
>when, 95? There ARE NO GEOWORKS Rep's!

In that case, why keep the name "Peking Man" for Homo erectus when
Peking is now officialy Beijing? (A little paleontology thrown in.)

The one Ray is entitled to name himself whatever he wants. Juat as I,
the other Ray, am entitled to call that partition a Geos partition. :-P

--
Ravin' Ray
your friendly neighborhood paleontologist

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:18:26

Quote:>If it would be so simple, I wonder why the people don't
> help themselves.

> Grossibaer

Because they don't even know the difference between a secondary mouse click
and a "regular" mouse click. End-users are just that. Asking why people
don't help themselves is a naive question. You know as well as I "people",
(average PC users), would not have a clue using a disk editor to "fix" a
partition table. Why do some of our students pay $10K to "learn" MS-Office?
Because they are stupid.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:19:07

Just because a million people do a stupid thing, that thing is still stupid.

> >What has a random computer generated email to do with using such an
ancient
> >preface as GWRep, (GeoWorks Representative)? That hasn't been around
since
> >when, 95? There ARE NO GEOWORKS Rep's!

> In that case, why keep the name "Peking Man" for Homo erectus when
> Peking is now officialy Beijing? (A little paleontology thrown in.)

> The one Ray is entitled to name himself whatever he wants. Juat as I,
> the other Ray, am entitled to call that partition a Geos partition. :-P

> --
> Ravin' Ray
> your friendly neighborhood paleontologist
> http://www.geocities.com/originalravinray
> "I'm a geologist who uses Geos and has a Geocities website!"

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Hans Lindgre » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 05:27:53

Is nostalgia a ludicrus value?

BR,
Hans

Newsgroups: clari.web.world.europe.northern,clari.web.world.europe
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:20:09 PDT

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:54:46

<<...you still find some ludicrous value to GWRep...>>

Hmmm....  I have about 5 different email addresses I use on a regular basis in
different forums and venues - not including my business email.  Since this ng
is related to all thing "geos," I think my continuing to use a moniker I was/am
quite proud of -- fits just fine thank you...

Ray

>Subject: Re: Ensemble 1.2 disks

>Date: 6/17/03 1:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>> LOL!  You're losing it sir!  It's just pixels on the screen! You're the
>one
>> attaching the definition to it - not me. And since it is simply letters on
>the
>> screen, it is as valid a screen name as any "random generated" series of
>> letters and/or numbers...

>> Ray

>Why? Because u say so? I'm not the one that can't let go of the past. You
>only keep the GWRep because it "reminds" you of back when. It is not a
>problem to change your email address, notify those in your address book, and
>have your email forwarded. You don't because you still find some ludicrous
>value to GWRep.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by C BLANK » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:44:24

> Hi y'all.

> I have Ensemble 1.2 on 5.25" disks. I am transferring them to 3.5"
> disks, but disks 6, 7, and 10 have been hit by fungus (comes from
> living in the tropics, huh). Does anyone have disk images of these, or
> at the very least the files? (Only those seriously willing to help me
> need reply.) Thanks.

> (I'm installing all my versions of Geos in a Geos partition, from
> Ensemble 1.0 up, including the emulators.)

***

Ray, did you try EBAY or some such place? You might be able to get a 1.2 set.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by C BLANK » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:54:21

***I have also Ensemble Desktop and 1.2D in french. And WebSuite 3 ! And
the Nokia emulators !
And you don't count the Zoomer, Omnigo and Nokia instances :-)

Philippe.
***

I'm just a user so I can't come close to you all, but on one system I run GEOS
Personal Office 1.2(for clipart conversion mostly), Ensemble 2.01, NDO School
Suite, GeoPublish, Ensemble Lite, and my workhorse NDO '98 Rel3.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:58:55

Bob schrieb:

Quote:

> Just because a million people do a stupid thing, that thing is still stupid.

Including your praise of Windoze. Glad you finally recognized this. :)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:16:31

You have almost never heard me "praise" Windows. So again, you is wrong.
What I have said is the Windows blows GEOS outta the water for a million
reasons. But I've also said COUNTLESS times that if a better OS comes along,
I'd use it in a heartbeat. I've no alliance with Windows, and I don't much
care for Microsoft. It is simply that it and they happen to be the best
there is. So, I use the best. If some company makes a better, I'll use that.
Simple hey Jens.