Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:49:29

DOS partition is only the legacy term for a FAT16 volume. It just happens
that NT can also use FAT16 as an FS. Don't dance Jens. Your wrong.

Quote:> Bob schrieb:

> > Nope. Simple. Partitioning is done with FDISK, DURID, etc. I've never
seen
> > the ability to create a GEOS partition listed with any partitioning
> > application.

> Never seen a DOS partition type anywhere, while indeed some FDISK
> verison wrongly have a menu ntry 'create DO Spartition'. But this will
> also create a valid NT partition with no DOS at all :)
> SO either you call a partition by partition type (then there is no DOS
> partition as well as no GEO Spartition) or you call them by purpose.
> Then the name GEOS pis a valid partition description, as well as DOS,
> independent of the file system of this partition.

> > You can dance with semantics all you want Jens' but you is 100%
> > wrong and you know it, or you should trade in your Computer Science
degree.

> Repeating the mistakes others made (such as calling a FAT16 partition or
> a FAT12 partition a DOS partition) does not make it true or correct.
> YOU should know it.
> So either allow the term 'GEOS partition' or don't talk about 'DOS'
> partitions. Either-or and not each time different as you like it.
> Period.

> Grossibaer

> --
> Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
> they are not.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Raymond Anco » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 05:35:24

Sinulat ni Jens-Michael Gross:

Quote:>Well, currently, maybe I'm the winner :)

>Geoworks pro 1.2 German (for converting old clipart if I need them)
>Ensemble 2.01 German
>NC GEOS 2.0 (from DOS SDK)
>NC GEOS 2.1 (from OmniGo SDK)
>GeoPublish
>NDO98
>NDO3.x (don't remember the version)

>This one one machine, the other one has

>NDO2000 V4.21EC NT
>NDO2000 V4.21NC NT
>NDO2000 V4.21NC DOS

Ok...

for Geos 2.x/3.x, I'm installing Ensemble 2.0, 2.01, PalmConnect, NDO 98
and the various demo versions like GeoPublish and NewDeal Publish

And for the emulators/SDK's, I have the Geos 2.0 SDK, OmniGo SDK, and
Nokia 9000i/9100 SDK, which I've tricked into running under DOS.

--
Ravin' Ray
your friendly neighborhood paleontologist

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Raymond Anco » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 05:36:31

To all who offered to help, thanks. GWRepRay kindly helped me out. From
one Ray to onther, thanks.

--
Ravin' Ray
your friendly neighborhood paleontologist
http://www.geocities.com/originalravinray
"I'm a geologist who uses Geos and has a Geocities website!"

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Hans Lindgre » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:32:54

No Bob, I think you are confusing yourself. A partition is just a logical
part of a physical disk. No less, no more.It could be the whole disk, or
just a part of it. It does not, in theory, have anything to do with the OS
or the filesystem, even if it is not crisp clear. In most OS:es  partitioning
tool comes with the OS, but you can also use a third party one, too. You
can use the FreeDOS partitioning tool to make a Ext3 partition, but you can't
run DOS apps on it. You can remove Unix partitions with the Fdisk in MS-DOS
6.20 and up. FAT16, FAT32 NTS, HPFS and Ext3 is filesystems residing on the
partition. The operating systems is also residing on the partitions, just
as softwares are, the partition can be called anything, even spaghetti, parmaggio,
or Parma_ham, no problem. In one course I went to, they were called Dallas,
Washington and NewYork.

BR,
Hans

Newsgroups: comp.parallel.mpi
Subject: Re: MPI help on Solaris Arch.
Date: 16 Jun 2003 14:32:55 -0700

> Hi,

> Thanks for your information. I don't know how I can bypass password on
> ssh. I use Windows Xp and windows based SSH to remotely login to my
> UNIX servers. Let me know the procedure or any other encrypteted shell
> to log in to UNIX.

Dude what are you talking about? How you connect to where you are
running your code on makes no difference. I was talking about ssh/rsh
between sun machines, the machines that you are running parallel code
on. When I said .rhosts in your home directory, that means your home
directory on the sun.
Khan

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:46:00

Can you imagine still using GWRep?

Quote:> To all who offered to help, thanks. GWRepRay kindly helped me out. From
> one Ray to onther, thanks.

> --
> Ravin' Ray
> your friendly neighborhood paleontologist
> http://www.geocities.com/originalravinray
> "I'm a geologist who uses Geos and has a Geocities website!"

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:47:08

Yup. Using any "tool" you wish you cannot create a GEOS partition, not a
Windows partition, nor a Linux partition. You can create a partition.

> No Bob, I think you are confusing yourself. A partition is just a logical
> part of a physical disk. No less, no more.It could be the whole disk, or
> just a part of it. It does not, in theory, have anything to do with the OS
> or the filesystem, even if it is not crisp clear. In most OS:es
partitioning
> tool comes with the OS, but you can also use a third party one, too. You
> can use the FreeDOS partitioning tool to make a Ext3 partition, but you
can't
> run DOS apps on it. You can remove Unix partitions with the Fdisk in
MS-DOS
> 6.20 and up. FAT16, FAT32 NTS, HPFS and Ext3 is filesystems residing on
the
> partition. The operating systems is also residing on the partitions, just
> as softwares are, the partition can be called anything, even spaghetti,
parmaggio,
> or Parma_ham, no problem. In one course I went to, they were called
Dallas,
> Washington and NewYork.

> BR,
> Hans

> > Nope. Simple. Partitioning is done with FDISK, DURID, etc. I've never
> seen
> > the ability to create a GEOS partition listed with any partitioning
> > application. You can dance with semantics all you want Jens' but you is
> 100%
> > wrong and you know it, or you should trade in your Computer Science
degree.

> would
> > be
> system

> > > Sorry, Bob, but you're wrong - or at least not consistent.

> > > Either you say a partition can be FAT, FAT32, NTFS, HPFS, ReiserFS
etc.
> > > but NOT a DOS partiton. Then you're talking about the partition
format.
> > > Or you say a partition can be a DOS or Windows or OS/2 or NT or Linux
> > > partition. Then you're naming it by purpose or content. Then a GEOS
> > > partition is a completely valid name.

> > > On my computer, I have a GEOS partition, a partition with just GEOS
> on
> > > it (no bootable OS at all), as well as I have a games partition.

> > > Now re-read you sentence above an shake your head over yourself. :)

> > > Grossibaer

> > > --
> > > Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple,
because
> > > they are not.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Hans Lindgre » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:39:58

Actually I KNOW I am right and you are wrong as you are mixing things up.
Partition is just a logical part of a disk, nothing more. I will not wasting
time convincing you about that.....

BR,
Hans

> No. Technically, (I don't care about common usage), there are partitions.
> Your talking about a volume name. A partition is created with a partitioning
> app, be it FDISK, DURID etc. You can only create "real" partitions, such
> primary DOS, Extended, Logical..etc., depending on the OS and other
> variables. You can then create a file system on those partitions. No where,
> no how can you create a GEOS partition, any more then you can create a
> Windows 3.1x, or 9x partition.

> > Well, many people calls their partitions after what resides on them
and
> > they care less weather they it is a FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS4, NTFS5,
> HPFS,
> > Ext3 as this is the filesystems, which resides on the partition. A
> partition
> > is just a logical part of a physical device, with no connection to the
> filesystem
> > or the OS, so naming it after what's on it or your grandmother can never
> > be wrong, it is just a matter of taste. Remeber in DOS we have
> Label.......

> > BR,
> > Hans

> > > Well technically, there is no such thing as GEOS is not an OS. It
would
> > be
> > > perhaps at best called a DOS partition, or a FAT or whatever file
system
> > > partition, but it cannot be a GEOS partition.

> > job,

> > GEOS

Geos
> > > partition,
> > a good

NTFS
> > but

> href="http://www.geocities.com/originalravinray">http://www.geocities.com/or
> > > iginalravinray</a>

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Hans Lindgre » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:44:45

Ah, you got it right......but still you can call your partition anything.......

BR,
Hans

> Yup. Using any "tool" you wish you cannot create a GEOS partition, not
> Windows partition, nor a Linux partition. You can create a partition.

> > No Bob, I think you are confusing yourself. A partition is just a logical
> > part of a physical disk. No less, no more.It could be the whole disk,
or
> > just a part of it. It does not, in theory, have anything to do with
the OS
> > or the filesystem, even if it is not crisp clear. In most OS:es
> partitioning
> > tool comes with the OS, but you can also use a third party one, too.
You
> > can use the FreeDOS partitioning tool to make a Ext3 partition, but
you
> can't
> > run DOS apps on it. You can remove Unix partitions with the Fdisk in
> MS-DOS
> > 6.20 and up. FAT16, FAT32 NTS, HPFS and Ext3 is filesystems residing
on
> the
> > partition. The operating systems is also residing on the partitions,
just
> > as softwares are, the partition can be called anything, even spaghetti,
> parmaggio,
> > or Parma_ham, no problem. In one course I went to, they were called
> Dallas,
> > Washington and NewYork.

> > BR,
> > Hans

> > > Nope. Simple. Partitioning is done with FDISK, DURID, etc. I've never
> > seen
> > > the ability to create a GEOS partition listed with any partitioning
> > > application. You can dance with semantics all you want Jens' but you
is
> > 100%
> > > wrong and you know it, or you should trade in your Computer Science
> degree.

It
> > would
> > > be
> > system

> etc.
> format.
Linux

> > on

:)

> because

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:07:02

No need to convince me as I know exactly what partitioning is, how it works,
and what it involves. There is no such thing as a GEOS partition.

> Actually I KNOW I am right and you are wrong as you are mixing things up.
> Partition is just a logical part of a disk, nothing more. I will not
wasting
> time convincing you about that.....

> BR,
> Hans

> > No. Technically, (I don't care about common usage), there are
partitions.
> > Your talking about a volume name. A partition is created with a
partitioning
> > app, be it FDISK, DURID etc. You can only create "real" partitions, such
> > primary DOS, Extended, Logical..etc., depending on the OS and other
> > variables. You can then create a file system on those partitions. No
where,
> > no how can you create a GEOS partition, any more then you can create a
> > Windows 3.1x, or 9x partition.

> > > Well, many people calls their partitions after what resides on them
> and
> > > they care less weather they it is a FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS4, NTFS5,
> > HPFS,
> > > Ext3 as this is the filesystems, which resides on the partition. A
> > partition
> > > is just a logical part of a physical device, with no connection to the
> > filesystem
> > > or the OS, so naming it after what's on it or your grandmother can
never
> > > be wrong, it is just a matter of taste. Remeber in DOS we have
> > Label.......

> > > BR,
> > > Hans

> would
> > > be
> system

> from

> > > job,

> > > GEOS

> as

> Geos
> > > a good

> NTFS
> > > but
> as

href="http://www.geocities.com/originalravinray">http://www.geocities.com/or

Quote:> > > > iginalravinray</a>

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:08:09

No. You can give the partition a volume label. I can place a volume label of
FRED on the volume, but I cannot create a FRED partition.

> Ah, you got it right......but still you can call your partition
anything.......

> BR,
> Hans

> > Yup. Using any "tool" you wish you cannot create a GEOS partition, not
> > Windows partition, nor a Linux partition. You can create a partition.

> > > No Bob, I think you are confusing yourself. A partition is just a
logical
> > > part of a physical disk. No less, no more.It could be the whole disk,
> or
> > > just a part of it. It does not, in theory, have anything to do with
> the OS
> > > or the filesystem, even if it is not crisp clear. In most OS:es
> > partitioning
> > > tool comes with the OS, but you can also use a third party one, too.
> You
> > > can use the FreeDOS partitioning tool to make a Ext3 partition, but
> you
> > can't
> > > run DOS apps on it. You can remove Unix partitions with the Fdisk in
> > MS-DOS
> > > 6.20 and up. FAT16, FAT32 NTS, HPFS and Ext3 is filesystems residing
> on
> > the
> > > partition. The operating systems is also residing on the partitions,
> just
> > > as softwares are, the partition can be called anything, even
spaghetti,
> > parmaggio,
> > > or Parma_ham, no problem. In one course I went to, they were called
> > Dallas,
> > > Washington and NewYork.

> > > BR,
> > > Hans

> > > seen
> is
> > > 100%
> > degree.

> It
> > > would
> > > system

> > etc.
> > format.
> Linux
GEOS

GEOS
> > > on

> :)

> > because

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:31:36

<< Can you imagine still using GWRep? >>

This -- coming from "bob12754"... Yep -- sure can imaging using it -- why in
the world would I change it?  Been using it for nigh on 10 years now...

Ray

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:30:42

What has a random computer generated email to do with using such an ancient
preface as GWRep, (GeoWorks Representative)? That hasn't been around since
when, 95? There ARE NO GEOWORKS Rep's!

Quote:> << Can you imagine still using GWRep? >>

> This -- coming from "bob12754"... Yep -- sure can imaging using it -- why
in
> the world would I change it?  Been using it for nigh on 10 years now...

> Ray

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:02:39

<< What has a random computer generated email to do with using such an ancient
preface as GWRep >>

As much relevance as your initial comment about it...

<< There ARE NO GEOWORKS Rep's! >>

I agree -- just as there ARE NO BOB12754's ...

LOL!  You're losing it sir!  It's just pixels on the screen! You're the one
attaching the definition to it - not me. And since it is simply letters on the
screen, it is as valid a screen name as any "random generated" series of
letters and/or numbers...

Ray

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Philippe Dallemagn » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:19:24

I have also Ensemble Desktop and 1.2D in french. And WebSuite 3 ! And
the Nokia emulators !
And you don't count the Zoomer, Omnigo and Nokia instances :-)

Philippe.

> Raymond Ancog schrieb:

> > >I have:
> > >- Geos in the OLDPC- folder.
> > >- NDO in the GEOS-folder
> > >- NDO Spanish in the NDESPA?OL folder.
> > >- NDO Flemish/Dutch in the NDO2002-folder
> > >- Ensemble 1.28 Dutch in the VERYOLDPC- folder.
> > >It's all on my NYPRA disc.

> > Looks like we're in a contest to see who has the most Geos installations.

> > Okay, for Geos 1.x, I have Ensemble 1.0, Ensemble 1.2, NEC CD Manager,
> > and Quick Start. I will install the 2nd and 4rd over the 1st, while I
> > will add the CD-ROM apps of the 3rd.

> Well, currently, maybe I'm the winner :)

> Geoworks pro 1.2 German (for converting old clipart if I need them)
> Ensemble 2.01 German
> NC GEOS 2.0 (from DOS SDK)
> NC GEOS 2.1 (from OmniGo SDK)
> GeoPublish
> NDO98
> NDO3.x (don't remember the version)

> This one one machine, the other one has

> NDO2000 V4.21EC NT
> NDO2000 V4.21NC NT
> NDO2000 V4.21NC DOS

> Grossibaer

> --
> Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
> they are not.

Ensemble 1.2 disks

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:51:35

Philippe Dallemagne schrieb:

Quote:> And you don't count the Zoomer, Omnigo and Nokia instances :-)

Well, yes, I forgot my GlobalPC, OmniGo and 9110i

Grossibaer