Cannot bind to LDAP Active Directory server

Cannot bind to LDAP Active Directory server

Post by Pau » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:10:50

I am using the novell LDAP SDK to bind to an Active Directory Server
from a Linux box.

When I attempt to bind to the server I receive the following error:

LDAP_SERVER_DOWN

I have successfully imported the trusted root CA into the Windows 2000
Advanced Server box which is running Active Directory.

Any help on why this is so I would appreciate.

Paul

Cannot bind to LDAP Active Directory server

Post by Jason Robarts [MS » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 07:28:56

Paul, could you elaborate a bit on which API call is failing?

Since you mention you successfully imported the trusted root CA cert into
the server running AD, are you trying to make a SSL connection on port 636?
If so you need to install a server certificate from the CA as well as the
trusted root CA.  Information on how to get a server certificate for your DC
through Microsoft Certificate Services and the characteristics you need to
request if getting a server cert from a third party CA is described in the
following:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netd...
/establishing_a_session_over_ssl.asp.  The client needs the trusted CA
certificate and the server requires the server certificate and the trusted
CA certificate.

As a smoke test you can try using the telnet client from the linux box to
see if you can reach the server.  Specify 389 as the port for non-SSL ldap,
or 636 for SSL.  If you are able to connect then the server is up,
reachable, and listening.  Often an ldapsearch tool is shipped that may also
help as it will be able to send LDAP requests to the server which you can't
do easily through telnet.

Note that if you are going to be using ldap simple binds you should be using
SSL to maintain the privacy of your password information.

Jason

Quote:> I am using the novell LDAP SDK to bind to an Active Directory Server
> from a Linux box.

> When I attempt to bind to the server I receive the following error:

> LDAP_SERVER_DOWN

> I have successfully imported the trusted root CA into the Windows 2000
> Advanced Server box which is running Active Directory.

> Any help on why this is so I would appreciate.

> Paul

1. LDAP Server And Active Directory

Hi All,

Someone please help unconfused me.  I just want to manipulate users in the
Active Directory.  People here have suggested I used the LDAP Provider
instead of the WinNT Provider to add users and set other attributes.

Now, I'm finding out that the LDAP Server or Service has to be running for
me to use ADSI to bind to the LDAP Provider.  But, all I have is a stand
alone Windows 2000 Server with IIS/ASP.  And, I've configured it to be a
Domain Controller so I could use the Win2K AD.  I am not runing an Exchange
Server nor any mail service.  I just want to manipulate the users in Active
Directory.

Could someone explain how this LDAP Server is associated with the Active
Directory?  Where do I get a LDAP Server?  So I need this LDAP Server in
order to use the LDAP Provider to access the Active Directory?

Please help me!  Thank you so much for your time.

Keo

2. Help needed with DLLs and windows hooks!

3. DNS says Active Directory Server cannot be found.

4. Falcon/JAM-8

5. How to use SASL bind to active directory???

6. WANTED:WALKER, JM Football, Crazy Football

7. Can not Bind to the Active Directory...?

8. Introducing new types?

9. Connecting to Active Directory thru Active Server pages

10. How to use P/Invoke to invoke LDAP API to track active directory changes?

11. LDAP call to Active Directory

12. Active Directory, LDAP and VB6

13. Retrieve all users from active directory using LDAP