Can't get attribute values using LDAP (using VB) to non-MS LDAP server

Can't get attribute values using LDAP (using VB) to non-MS LDAP server

Post by hayimhende.. » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I am trying to write a simple program in VBASIC using the ADSI-LDAP provider
to retireve the values of some attributes from an LDAP directory (on a
Solaris box).

While the standard ADSI / ADO objects seem to have no trouble accessing this
directory, I have only been able to retrieve object names (ADsPath ?) from
the returned results, but I have not been able to figure out how to get the
values of the attributes.

To recap my efforts: First I tried specifying the LDAP syntax search string
as:
<LDAP://myserver/my_root_dn>;(objectClass=myClass);firstname,lastname;subtree

and while I got back all the ADsPath's to the required objects, the attribute
values I wanted to see (firstname, lastname) were not present.

 All right, so then I figured let me bind to the object itself  (since I now
have the DN) and get the attributes that way. So I then tried:
<LDAP://myserver/adspath>;(objectClass=DMOUser);firstname,lastname;base

 but that doesn't work either. The only thing that comes back is ADsPath. The
firstname, lastname attributes did not show up.

So how can I see the attribute values? Is there some limitation on accessing
non-Microsoft LDAP directories? If anyone has a code sample (in VB) I would
much appreciate it as well.

Thank you in advance. If at all possible, if you could E-mail me a copy of
your reply would be of great benefit, since my news server does not get this
news group.

 Hayim S. Hendeles

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Multi-valued Attributes using the LDAP provider

I'm creating a script using ADSI (vbscript) to add users to our Netscape
Directory at the same time it adds to our AD.  Netscape allows and in some
cases requires multi-valued attributes to work correctly.  One example of
this is objectclass.  You need each value of "top", "person",
"organizationalPerson", and "interorgperson", etc for Netscape Servers to be
able to use the directory entry.

How can one use ADSI to add all of the information needed?

Greg Carey

2. delete a dataset in a hdf file

3. One-way SSL Connection to LDAP Server using ADSI from VB

4. NT vs Win98

5. How to query a non-Windows LDAP server using ADSI and vbscript

6. ST QWKreader

7. Authenticating users using asp.net/vb.net against iPlanet LDAP

8. Adobe will get us trough this :-)

9. Using ADSI against LDAP with multi-valued objectClass

10. Adding a new user via LDAP and ADSI using VB

11. cannot view ldap attribute using VBScript

12. Access IBM SecureWay LDAP Directory using ADSI and VB

13. LDAP field values from 3rdparty Directory using ADSI