Accessing schema information from S.DS

Post by Marc Scheuner [MVP ADSI » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:57:30

Folks,

I'm trying to get the list of mandatory and optional properties for a
class of an AD object - can't seem to make it work in S.DS. There's
gotta be a way!!

Here's my code:

// get the user
DirectoryEntry deUser = new
DirectoryEntry("LDAP://cn=John,cn=Users,DC=Company,DC=Com");

// get the schema entry for the user object
DirectoryEntry deUserSchema = deUser.SchemaEntry;

// get its properties
deUserSchema.RefreshCache();

// list the mandatory properties
int iCount = deUserSchema.Properties["MandatoryProperties"].Count;

But here, I always get zero (0) - same for "OptionalProperties" or any
of the other properties I'd expect to find on this schema entry.

What am I missing??

When I bind to the schema class in AdsVw.exe by means of
"LDAP://user,schema", I do see my mandatory and optional properties,
no problem.

Thanks!
Marc

Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch

Accessing schema information from S.DS

Post by MVP - ADS » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:24:29

Are you sure you have the attribute name correct?  I thought the attributes
on a classSchema object that show the optional and required attributes were
called mayContain and mustContain.  I couldn't find an attribute in the
schema called MandatoryProperties.

What I'm not clear about is if AD provides some sort of constructed
attribute that merges the mayContain and mustContain from all of the super
and auxiliary classes.  There does seem to be an allowAttributes constructed
attribute that shows all the attributes the class will accept, but I don't
know how to split those up between mandatory and optional.

I think for constructed attributes like allowedAttributes, you must use the
RefreshCache syntax with the explicit request:

deUser.RefreshCache(New String() {"allowedAttributes"})

That's the way it usually works for me anyway.

I hope that helps.  I'd like to know more about this.

Joe K.

Quote:> Folks,

> I'm trying to get the list of mandatory and optional properties for a
> class of an AD object - can't seem to make it work in S.DS. There's
> gotta be a way!!

> Here's my code:

> // get the user
> DirectoryEntry deUser = new
> DirectoryEntry("LDAP://cn=John,cn=Users,DC=Company,DC=Com");

> // get the schema entry for the user object
> DirectoryEntry deUserSchema = deUser.SchemaEntry;

> // get its properties
> deUserSchema.RefreshCache();

> // list the mandatory properties
> int iCount = deUserSchema.Properties["MandatoryProperties"].Count;

> But here, I always get zero (0) - same for "OptionalProperties" or any
> of the other properties I'd expect to find on this schema entry.

> What am I missing??

> When I bind to the schema class in AdsVw.exe by means of
> "LDAP://user,schema", I do see my mandatory and optional properties,
> no problem.

> Thanks!
> Marc

> Marc Scheuner                        May The Source Be With You!
> Bern, Switzerland                         m.scheuner(at)inova.ch

1. "The attemted action violates DS Schema Rules"

Hello everyone,

I get this error when I want to set Firstname and Lastname properties in
conjunction with creating the user:

"The attemted action violates DS Schema Rules"

Setting Description and Fullname are okay though.. anyone knows why...? Code
snippet looks like this:
------

    UserDesc = "This account is a test sales member."
    UserFirstName = "fName"
    UserLastName = "lName"
    UserFullName = "fName lName"

    Set Container = GetObject("WinNT://" & ContainerName)
    Set User = Container.Create("User", NewUser)
    Set oGroup = Container.GetObject("Group", GroupName)

    If (Err.Number = 0) Then
        User.SetInfo
        User.FullName = UserFullName
        User.Description = UserDesc
        User.LastName = UserLastName ' <-- Debugging points to this line
        User.FirstName = UserFirstName

        User.SetInfo
        oGroup.Add ("WinNT://" & ContainerName & "/" & NewUser)
    End If

----------------------
Thank you  :)

2. Serial ports on SPARCstation 2

3. Schema security issues - how to verify a schema bind

4. fill-paragraph-or-region bites in LaTeX-mode

5. How Add Schema Attribute to Schema Class?

6. Major holidays download

7. xsd schema or xdr schema

8. W2K/GTCO Ultima digitizer?

9. accessing new attributes in user schema

10. DirectoryEntry RefreshCache fails due to access problem - schema retrieval on 3rd party ldap server

11. How to give a user Net access information

12. Exchange 2000 service pack 3 ID no: c1041724 cannot access information store or public folders - solution

13. HELP,Urgent ! Access to history information.