ADSI

Post by Soni » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:52:30

Hello,

I cannot find ADSVW.exe on Win2k Pro and Win XP Pro
editions. I tried installing the Platform SDK which does
not seem to have it. I'm a little new to windows
programming and would appreciate any help,

Thanks,
Sonia.

ADSI

Post by Bob » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:54:17

Gidday,

The adsvw tool comes with the ADSI 2.5 SDK, not the
Platform SDK... problem is this SDK is for NT4 only and
wont install on W2K or higher.... I am not sure of the W2K
equivalent but if you install the support tools from your
Windows install CD (folder support\tools) you'll get a few
AD tools that may help you out... ADSI Edit, AD Replicaion
Monitor, and AD Admin Tool (ldp.exe)....

You can also fire up an empty MMC (Start -> Run -> MMC)
and then add all the available AD snap-ins... only works
on AD enabled servers or machines with the AD snap-ins
installed... once your MMC is open click Console ->
Add/Remove snap-in, then click the Add button and select
the options you want from the list (double click)... when
you have them all listed click Ok until you gt back to the
MMC screen and you're off....

I don't know quite what you want adsvw for so can't say
for sure if these will cover it.

Cheers

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello,

>I cannot find ADSVW.exe on Win2k Pro and Win XP Pro
>editions. I tried installing the Platform SDK which does
>not seem to have it. I'm a little new to windows
>programming and would appreciate any help,

>Thanks,
>Sonia.
>.

ADSI

Post by Bob » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:14:09

Just found some info indicating adsvw is in fact on the
Platform SDK:

Where is AdsVw.exe?
AdsVw is a part of the ADSI Resource kit, which can be
found on the Platform SDK. The Platform SDK is available
for free download from the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/setuplaunch
er.htm.
When you install the Platform SDK, select a custom
install. Select to install the Samples | Networking and
Directory Samples | ADSI and AD Management. AdsVw.exe is
installed by default to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform
SDK\Samples\NetDS\ADSI\AdsVw\x86\AdsVw.exe. You need to
have ADSI 2.5 installed to run it.

Cheers

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Gidday,

>The adsvw tool comes with the ADSI 2.5 SDK, not the
>Platform SDK... problem is this SDK is for NT4 only and
>wont install on W2K or higher.... I am not sure of the
W2K
>equivalent but if you install the support tools from your
>Windows install CD (folder support\tools) you'll get a
few
>AD tools that may help you out... ADSI Edit, AD
Replicaion
>Monitor, and AD Admin Tool (ldp.exe)....

>You can also fire up an empty MMC (Start -> Run -> MMC)
>and then add all the available AD snap-ins... only works
>on AD enabled servers or machines with the AD snap-ins
>installed... once your MMC is open click Console ->
>Add/Remove snap-in, then click the Add button and select
>the options you want from the list (double click)... when
>you have them all listed click Ok until you gt back to
the
>MMC screen and you're off....

>I don't know quite what you want adsvw for so can't say
>for sure if these will cover it.

>Cheers

ADSI

Post by Soni » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:18:37

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot,

I am new to ADSI and was trying out a few things. Just
wanted to get familiar with the environment. There is a
book I have ADSI Programming by Simon Robinson that talks
about this and I wanted to try it out. Microsoft said
they've pulled it out of Win2K and told me what you just
said. If it is not too much trouble could you point me to
a site or book that is a good ADSI C++ programming primer.
I basically need to write some C++/Java code to install an
application on IIS and configure IIS programmatically.

Thanks,
Sonia.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Gidday,

>The adsvw tool comes with the ADSI 2.5 SDK, not the
>Platform SDK... problem is this SDK is for NT4 only and
>wont install on W2K or higher.... I am not sure of the
W2K
>equivalent but if you install the support tools from your
>Windows install CD (folder support\tools) you'll get a
few
>AD tools that may help you out... ADSI Edit, AD
Replicaion
>Monitor, and AD Admin Tool (ldp.exe)....

>You can also fire up an empty MMC (Start -> Run -> MMC)
>and then add all the available AD snap-ins... only works
>on AD enabled servers or machines with the AD snap-ins
>installed... once your MMC is open click Console ->
>Add/Remove snap-in, then click the Add button and select
>the options you want from the list (double click)... when
>you have them all listed click Ok until you gt back to
the
>MMC screen and you're off....

>I don't know quite what you want adsvw for so can't say
>for sure if these will cover it.

>Cheers

ADSI

Post by Bob » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:38:53

Hi again,

From what I have read you can still use adsvw on W2K and
higher, it just isn't supplied with it. So if you download
the ADSI 2.5 SDK you can still use it...

As for books, I initially used this book to help me get up
to speed with ADSI:

www.newriders.com/adsi

Note that W2K was barely out when this was published.

Also note it does not have C++ examples.... but it does
have lots of sample scripts that may help you figure out
which properties in IIS you need to change or whatever...

I don't really do C++ (find it quite dull) so can't say I
know of any ADSI C++ books off hand... still, try these
links (watch out for line breaks in the URL):

http://www.15seconds.com/focus/ADSI.htm

url=/library/en-
us/netdir/adsi/mapping_adsi_visual_basic_code_to_c_code.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q1
71/7/23.asp&NoWebContent=1

url=/library/en-
us/netdir/adsi/setting_up_c___for_adsi_development.asp

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-
browse/-/2RN3XQ8YZAVSY/qid%3D1050671605/sr%3Dlmlf-3/ref%
3Dbr%5Flmlf%5F%5F3/103-1095623-8799007

One of these should get you started... the first one is
probably best place to start...  and the last link returns
a list of ADSI book from Amazon... the stuff in between is
MS info (possibly even relevant)....

See how you go...

Cheers

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Bob,

>Thanks a lot,

>I am new to ADSI and was trying out a few things. Just
>wanted to get familiar with the environment. There is a
>book I have ADSI Programming by Simon Robinson that talks
>about this and I wanted to try it out. Microsoft said
>they've pulled it out of Win2K and told me what you just
>said. If it is not too much trouble could you point me to
>a site or book that is a good ADSI C++ programming
primer.
>I basically need to write some C++/Java code to install
an
>application on IIS and configure IIS programmatically.

>Thanks,
>Sonia.

ADSI

Post by Soni » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:39:12

Hi Bob,

Thanks,

I just installed Platform SDK, I need to find that part!!

Regards,
Sonia.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Just found some info indicating adsvw is in fact on the
>Platform SDK:

>Where is AdsVw.exe?
>AdsVw is a part of the ADSI Resource kit, which can be
>found on the Platform SDK. The Platform SDK is available
>for free download from the following Microsoft Web site:

>http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/setuplaunc
>er.htm.
>When you install the Platform SDK, select a custom
>install. Select to install the Samples | Networking and
>Directory Samples | ADSI and AD Management. AdsVw.exe is
>installed by default to:
>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform
>SDK\Samples\NetDS\ADSI\AdsVw\x86\AdsVw.exe. You need to
>have ADSI 2.5 installed to run it.

>Cheers

ADSI

Post by Bob » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:42:23

I forgot the most obvious:

http://www.microsoft.com/adsi

Cheers

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Bob,

>Thanks a lot,

>I am new to ADSI and was trying out a few things. Just
>wanted to get familiar with the environment. There is a
>book I have ADSI Programming by Simon Robinson that talks
>about this and I wanted to try it out. Microsoft said
>they've pulled it out of Win2K and told me what you just
>said. If it is not too much trouble could you point me to
>a site or book that is a good ADSI C++ programming
primer.
>I basically need to write some C++/Java code to install
an
>application on IIS and configure IIS programmatically.

>Thanks,
>Sonia.

ADSI

Post by Soni » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:00:54

Thanks a million!!!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi again,

>From what I have read you can still use adsvw on W2K and
>higher, it just isn't supplied with it. So if you
download
>the ADSI 2.5 SDK you can still use it...

>As for books, I initially used this book to help me get
up
>to speed with ADSI:

>www.newriders.com/adsi

>Note that W2K was barely out when this was published.

>Also note it does not have C++ examples.... but it does
>have lots of sample scripts that may help you figure out
>which properties in IIS you need to change or whatever...

>I don't really do C++ (find it quite dull) so can't say I
>know of any ADSI C++ books off hand... still, try these
>links (watch out for line breaks in the URL):

>http://www.15seconds.com/focus/ADSI.htm

>url=/library/en-
>us/netdir/adsi/mapping_adsi_visual_basic_code_to_c_code.as

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
>scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q
1
>71/7/23.asp&NoWebContent=1

>url=/library/en-
>us/netdir/adsi/setting_up_c___for_adsi_development.asp

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-
>browse/-/2RN3XQ8YZAVSY/qid%3D1050671605/sr%3Dlmlf-3/ref%
>3Dbr%5Flmlf%5F%5F3/103-1095623-8799007

>One of these should get you started... the first one is
>probably best place to start...  and the last link
returns
>a list of ADSI book from Amazon... the stuff in between
is
>MS info (possibly even relevant)....

>See how you go...

>Cheers

ADSI

Post by Bob » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:20:25

No problem!

I just did some tests and you can replace the domain name
with the workgroup name.... don't forget to change the
computer name also (if it is different)....

You getobject call should look something like:

GetObject("WinNT://" & <WORKGROUP OR DOMAIN NAME HERE>
& "/" & <MACHINE NAME HERE> & ",computer")

Note that the "computer" bit defines the type of objects
to query.... you'll need to change to suit your own
purposes...

Also note that for IIS manipulation you can use the IIS://
namespace...

Hope that helps....

Cheers

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Thanks a million!!!

ADSI

Post by Bob » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:26:18

Damn.... got my wires crossed... the first line of my
reply was for you but the rest was meant to be a reply to
someone else...

Cheers

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

/
>>1
>>>71/7/23.asp&NoWebContent=1

>>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
>>>url=/library/en-
>>>us/netdir/adsi/setting_up_c___for_adsi_development.asp

>>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-
>>>browse/-/2RN3XQ8YZAVSY/qid%3D1050671605/sr%3Dlmlf-3/ref%
>>>3Dbr%5Flmlf%5F%5F3/103-1095623-8799007

>>>One of these should get you started... the first one is
>>>probably best place to start...  and the last link
>>returns
>>>a list of ADSI book from Amazon... the stuff in between
>>is
>>>MS info (possibly even relevant)....

>>>See how you go...

>>>Cheers

1. ADSI 2.5 or ADSI Run-time????

So I've finaly created my .EXE which will add an email address to the turff
list.  It runs fine on my machine of course but will not run on any other
machine.  I get this error:

File name or class name not found during Automation operation

I've installed the ADSI 2.5 for Win98 and I still get the error.  What am I
missing?  Some sort of run-time?

Thanks,
Justin

2. Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:11:09 +0530

3. Should the ADSI programmer community migrate to platformsdk.adsi?

4. HELP: TIME SERVER VIA SNTP

5. Migrating from ADSI 2.5+WinNT4.0+Exch5.5 to Win2k+ADSI+Exch2k

6. dvipm+S3+warp4=error!

7. ADSI and MDAC

8. Philips PCF8584 driver code

9. Emails with ADSI.DAT as recipient

10. ADSI Tool

11. Kerberos, ADSI, ASP .NET and the error of TYPE value

12. ADSI move user help

13. ADSI or WMI call to set system date?