DirectoryEntry RefreshCache fails due to access problem - schema retrieval on 3rd party ldap server

DirectoryEntry RefreshCache fails due to access problem - schema retrieval on 3rd party ldap server

Post by Mat » Sat, 03 May 2003 01:36:20

I'm working on the solution to retrieving schema information from a
3rd party LDAP server as suggested by a MSFT rep at this link

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=n...

and it worked great until I put in my ID and password. Now I get the
generic "Unknown error" when it hits the following code to refresh the
DirectoryEntry object:

   entry.RefreshCache(new string[]{propertyName});

If I remove my login information it works (our test server has full
access for anonymous users - so you can workout your code first).
Anyone know what type of access I need to request from the LDAP
administrators? I don't know if they will grant it but it will help if
I at least know what I need.

DirectoryEntry RefreshCache fails due to access problem - schema retrieval on 3rd party ldap server

Post by David Stucki [M » Sun, 04 May 2003 00:31:04

In order to split up Binding from filling the property cache, can you try
forcing a bind by doing this:
object o = entry.NativeObject

DirectoryEntry will wait until the last possible moment to send anything
over the network, but this code forces a bind to occur in order to retrieve
the NativeObject (an IADs interface).

You may want to try using some different AuthenticationTypes flags.
AuthenticationTypes.None would be the first thing to try since this will
result in a LDAP simple bind (clear-text authentication).

David Stucki
Microsoft Developer Support

1. 3rd party client/server package running on SBS server

Running SBS V4.5 on HP E40 server with 128MB RAM - Pentium Pro 200 CPU from
memory. 2 SCSI drives C for system and D for data

The above is obviously not the most prowerful server these days but has been
adequete for all things being done over the past few years. We are not heavy
duty users.

A 3rd party, client/server package  was recently installed, requiring a
program to run continually on the server.

We have noticed performance to generally decline when  this new program is
running on the server.

Appreciate any comments suggestions as how to improve performance,
specifically

1. is this a common occurrence with programs running on the server ? Any
other experiences ?

2. more RAM the answer ?

3. we use SBS fairly simply - file/print sharing, internet access, email.
Can some SBS serveices be disabled to assist in RAM usage ? Such services as
WWW publishing service, MSSQL services, others ?

4. what is the best setting for My Computer/Performance/Application
Performance in this situation

5. we have 2 drives  ( C - system, D- data ). What is the best mix of drives
for the pagefile, this new system, etc ?

6. any other tweaking worthwhile in this situation or best not to play with
anything

2. -- ISA slots for Amiga --

3. Access violation configuring 3rd party email

4. "Fun" installing PsiWin 2.1

5. installation problem with 3rd party software

6. Interest in hard drive parts or dat tape drive parts?

7. Sms 2.0 and 3rd party DHCP server question

8. De-Compilers of the world

9. SMS 2.0 and 3rd party DHCP servers

10. Added structure for 3rd party programs

11. Junk Email - 3rd party filtering software for SBS4.5/Exch5.5?

12. SBS & 3rd Party Software