Regarding Windows authentication - LDAP vs. WinNT

Regarding Windows authentication - LDAP vs. WinNT

Post by Rasmus Foge » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:23:19

Hi all.

Regarding Windows authentication, I'm looking for a
architectual way to support authentication from with a
workstation webserver and a domain-member webserver.

Non-domain webservers must use the WinNT protocol, were
domain-members ws' can use the LDAP-protocol and get rich
possibilities here. Does anybody have a solution to this?

/Rasmus

Regarding Windows authentication - LDAP vs. WinNT

Post by Joe Richards [MVP » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:09:57

Why do you think non-domain members can't use LDAP?

--
Joe Richards
www.joeware.net

--

> Hi all.

> Regarding Windows authentication, I'm looking for a
> architectual way to support authentication from with a
> workstation webserver and a domain-member webserver.

> Non-domain webservers must use the WinNT protocol, were
> domain-members ws' can use the LDAP-protocol and get rich
> possibilities here. Does anybody have a solution to this?

> /Rasmus

1. Basic Authentication VS. Integrated Windows Authentication

Hi All

A bit about the setup.
Windows 2000 Server SP3 fully patched with MS windows updates.
Sharepoint Portal Server 2001 SP2

We use a FQDN to reach the portal via out Intranet or Internet
{server.domain.com}
We have published the portal website via MS ISA server using web publishing
rules.

As long as we use Basic Authentication on IIS all this works fine if you are
an internet user accessing the portal via IE6.

Problems:

1) {Intranet scenario} If we use only basic authentication then when you
access the portal via windows explorer you are asked you login again, and
then again if you wish to open a file etc...
    If we switch to Integrated Windows Authentication(IWA) in IIS then this
problem is solved. However this presents problem 2.

2) {Internet scenario} Once authentication has been changed to IWA then the
portal accessed via IE6 is all messed up.
    The dashboard shows folders that should never be shown and the category
dashboard lists .vbs files instead of categories.

The only way to sort this out is to switch back to Basic Authentication,
which is terrible because then our intranet user have to keep supplying
their credentials.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or help?

Thanks
Karl

2. looking for a tool that test the browser compatibility for internet sites.

3. LDAP vs WinNT

4. Flagged Messages?

5. LDAP vs. WinNT providers?

6. >probably

7. LDAP vs. WinNT

8. DOS to W98

9. LDAP vs WinNT

10. using WinNT:// vs. LDAP:// and other questions

11. Q: Newbie need info regarding SAMBA mount authentication between Sun/NT

12. ADSI LDAP Provider doesn't work on Windows NT 4.0 against Syntegra LDAP Server

13. windows Integrated Authentication without Popup window (.NET + ADSI)