Schema Extending.. Attribute

Post by Rags » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:34:13

Hello All,

      This is about extending the schema and adding an attribute to user
class.
      I have extended the schema and added an attribute called GENDER.
everything is
      successful, but i am not able to see it in Active Directory Users and
Computers.
      How do i add GENDER to all the users. is there a default User
Interface or i need to create even the interface also ?

     is there a way i can see the GENDER in AD users and computers. ?

Regards,

Rags

Schema Extending.. Attribute

Post by Gustavo Pizzini Becke » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:58:24

Rags,
I tried to do the same thing you're trying to do using ADSI, but I couldn't.
The only way I can see my attribute in AD users is using ADO to access AD.
Hope it helps you.
Gustavo

Quote:> Hello All,

>       This is about extending the schema and adding an attribute to user
> class.
>       I have extended the schema and added an attribute called GENDER.
> everything is
>       successful, but i am not able to see it in Active Directory Users
and
> Computers.
>       How do i add GENDER to all the users. is there a default User
> Interface or i need to create even the interface also ?

>      is there a way i can see the GENDER in AD users and computers. ?

> Regards,

> Rags

Schema Extending.. Attribute

Post by Jeff Jones [MS » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 02:33:56

You can add a property page to the user object through the display specifier
mechanism.  See "Extending the User Interface for Directory Objects" in the
Platform SDK.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netd...
xtending_the_user_interface_for_directory_objects.asp.  There is also an
example in the PSDK that adds a page to show the user's employeeID.  This
could be easily modified to show GENDER instead. The example can be found in
the samples subdirectory under the Platform SDK installation location. <psdk
install dir>\samples\netds\ADSI\samples\dsui\userproppage

--
Jeff Jones [MS]
Active Directory Administration Tools Development

Post by Mertens Lu » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 18:17:41

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello All,

>      This is about extending the schema and adding an
attribute to user
>class.
>      I have extended the schema and added an attribute
called GENDER.
>everything is
>      successful, but i am not able to see it in Active
Directory Users and
>Computers.
>      How do i add GENDER to all the users. is there a
default User
>Interface or i need to create even the interface also ?

>     is there a way i can see the GENDER in AD users and
computers. ?

>Regards,

>Rags

>.
>Hi Rags,

Search under "Updating the schema cache" and you will find
the correct code.

But I can't create the attribute itself.  Can you deliver
me you code?

Luc

1. retrieving extended schema attributes using ADSI

Is there a way to retrieve extended schema attributes using the ADO
provider for ADSI?

For Example, when I try to run:

    Dim sCmd As String
    Dim objConn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim objRs As New ADODB.Recordset

    objConn.Provider = "AdsDsoObject"
    objConn.Open "ADs Provider"

    sCmd = "  SELECT customAttrib"
    sCmd = sCmd + " FROM 'LDAP://10.10.100.123'"
    sCmd = sCmd + " WHERE cn = 'abc123'"

    Set objRs = objConn.Execute(sCmd) '>>unspecified error occurs here

I get an error on the line marked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rebecca

2. Driver for grayscale display adapter

3. How Add Schema Attribute to Schema Class?

4. LOCAL!user To: line problem

5. Extending schema for exchange fails

6. 17" monitors - what's your favorite?

7. Extending AD Schema

8. lisp problems

9. extend schema

10. Extending Schema

11. VB code for extending the schema

12. How to extend AD schema with VB?

13. Reading & Wrinting to the Custom Fields in extended AD Schema