getting attributes of computer object

Post by Blak » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:13:46

Set Container = GetObject("LDAP://cn=computers,dc=longwood,dc=edu")
Container.Filter = Array("Computer")
Debug.Print Computer.Name                                       '1
Debug.Print Computer.OperatingSystem                      '2
Debug.Print Computer.operatingSystemServicePack    '3
Debug.Print Computer.MemorySize                             '4

1, 2, and 3 work fine.  #4 fails.  I have read where other fields like
'StorageCapacity' also fail.  Any ideas?  Is this is syntax problem?  Is
this documented attribute not real?

Blake

getting attributes of computer object

Post by Joe Richards [MVP » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:54:24

Memory size isn't stored in Active Directory. You would need to use
something that connects directly to the machine you want info about like WMI
to get that info.

Here are some of the attributes a default computer object in AD can have

Quote:>systemMayContain: volumeCount

--
Joe Richards
www.joeware.net

> Set Container = GetObject("LDAP://cn=computers,dc=longwood,dc=edu")
> Container.Filter = Array("Computer")
> Debug.Print Computer.Name                                       '1
> Debug.Print Computer.OperatingSystem                      '2
> Debug.Print Computer.operatingSystemServicePack    '3
> Debug.Print Computer.MemorySize                             '4

> 1, 2, and 3 work fine.  #4 fails.  I have read where other fields like
> 'StorageCapacity' also fail.  Any ideas?  Is this is syntax problem?  Is
> this documented attribute not real?

> Blake

getting attributes of computer object

Post by Blak » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:51:54

Thanks for your help.  My remaining question is why are these attributes
documented as part of the IADsComputer object?  (in the ADSI 2.5 reference)
Or am I missing something?

Thanks again

Blake

> [...]

> >systemMayContain: codePage
> >systemMayContain: badPwdCount
> >systemMayContain: badPasswordTime
> >systemMayContain: adminCount
> >systemMayContain: aCSPolicyName
> >systemMayContain: accountExpires

> --
> Joe Richards
> www.joeware.net
> ---

> > Set Container = GetObject("LDAP://cn=computers,dc=longwood,dc=edu")
> > Container.Filter = Array("Computer")
> > Debug.Print Computer.Name                                       '1
> > Debug.Print Computer.OperatingSystem                      '2
> > Debug.Print Computer.operatingSystemServicePack    '3
> > Debug.Print Computer.MemorySize                             '4

> > 1, 2, and 3 work fine.  #4 fails.  I have read where other fields like
> > 'StorageCapacity' also fail.  Any ideas?  Is this is syntax problem?  Is

Post by Joe Richards [MVP » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:53:05

Not a clue man, I just know that info isn't in AD.

--
Joe Richards
www.joeware.net

> [...]

> > >systemMayContain: codePage
> > >systemMayContain: badPwdCount
> > >systemMayContain: badPasswordTime
> > >systemMayContain: adminCount
> > >systemMayContain: aCSPolicyName
> > >systemMayContain: accountExpires

> > --
> > Joe Richards
> > www.joeware.net
> > ---

> > > Set Container = GetObject("LDAP://cn=computers,dc=longwood,dc=edu")
> > > Container.Filter = Array("Computer")
> > > Debug.Print Computer.Name                                       '1
> > > Debug.Print Computer.OperatingSystem                      '2
> > > Debug.Print Computer.operatingSystemServicePack    '3
> > > Debug.Print Computer.MemorySize                             '4

> > > 1, 2, and 3 work fine.  #4 fails.  I have read where other fields like
> > > 'StorageCapacity' also fail.  Any ideas?  Is this is syntax problem?

Post by Blak » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:25:07

LOL

Thanks again

Blake

> Not a clue man, I just know that info isn't in AD.

> --
> Joe Richards
> www.joeware.net
> ---

> > Thanks for your help.  My remaining question is why are these attributes
> > documented as part of the IADsComputer object?  (in the ADSI 2.5
> reference)
> > Or am I missing something?

> > Thanks again

> > Blake

> > > Memory size isn't stored in Active Directory. You would need to use
> > > something that connects directly to the machine you want info about
like
> > WMI
> > > to get that info.

> > > Here are some of the attributes a default computer object in AD can
have

> > > --
> > > Joe Richards
> > > www.joeware.net
> > > ---

> Is

getting attributes of computer object

Post by Blak » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:32:09

This isn't just for Joe, although I appreciate his responses.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netd...

According to MS all these methods are available.  Some work, some don't.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Blake

> Not a clue man, I just know that info isn't in AD.

> --
> Joe Richards
> www.joeware.net
> ---

> > Thanks for your help.  My remaining question is why are these attributes
> > documented as part of the IADsComputer object?  (in the ADSI 2.5
> reference)
> > Or am I missing something?

> > Thanks again

> > Blake

> > > Memory size isn't stored in Active Directory. You would need to use
> > > something that connects directly to the machine you want info about
like
> > WMI
> > > to get that info.

> > > Here are some of the attributes a default computer object in AD can
have

> > > --
> > > Joe Richards
> > > www.joeware.net
> > > ---

> Is

1. Getting distinguished name of a computer object (not the local computer)

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to get the distinguished name of a
computer object in vbscript.

I know how to find the DN for a user and also how to get
the DN for a local computer, but, I am looking to write a
script that can get the DN of any computer in our
dirctory that a user may need.

Is there by chance a network version of IADsADSystemInfo
or something else I can use?

Thank you,
Jeff.

2. Using Frontpage98 with multi-authors

3. Help With User Object - Getting Attributes

4. VT100 help please

5. Getting DN for a computer object in W2K AD

6. SHARC LDR21K.EXE problems

7. OT: Getting a printer out of a computer when it gets messed up during install

8. Q: telephone wire to avoid interference

9. Add new attributes to existing Hardware Inventory objects

10. Binding AD only for spesific object attributes returns more than specified......

11. get GUID for object attribute/property

12. how to put custom attribute into an IADs object

13. Maximum object/attribute size