adsi network management - user info from firstName, lastName?

adsi network management - user info from firstName, lastName?

Post by Ted Rya » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:37:56

Is it possible to get NTLM user information (domain, SID, userName) from
parameters firstName, lastName (or full name)? I can get the user's full
name from username, but not vice-versa.

Thanks,
Ted

adsi network management - user info from firstName, lastName?

Post by Smitha Vuppuluri [MS » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:53:39

You should be able to perform a search on the object  (or some other object
higher in the hierarchy) with search filter set to the attributes
(firstname, lastname, or anyother attribute for which you have the value).,
and request for the attributes of your interest.
You can get more information about searches with ADSI from MSDN.

--
Thanks.
Smitha.

Quote:> Is it possible to get NTLM user information (domain, SID, userName) from
> parameters firstName, lastName (or full name)? I can get the user's full
> name from username, but not vice-versa.

> Thanks,
> Ted

1. Samba 2.0.6 PDC doesn't seem to hand out GECOS (Firstname Lastname) info

I have a Solaris 2.6 machine running Samba 2.0.6 acting as my PDC.

Everything works great, except that in all the places where you would
see the users' real names (like Bob Smith) you see generic information.

For example, I login to the domain on an NT4 Workstation. Now I hit
ctl-alt-del and the little window that pops up when you do that says:

<Full Name> is logged on as DOMAIN\bob.

That's what it says, verbatim (aside from all the other stuff down below).

There are lots of other examples. I feel like they all have the same
root cause, though.

If anyone can shed any light on this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

I plan to upgrade soon to 2.0.7, but if there is a fix for this problem in
2.0.7, I missed it in the changelog.

P.S. Email cc's are greatly appreciated.

--
Griff Miller II
Manager of Information Technology      "Beware of those who seek to win an

2. CISCO 761 -> WIN NT-SERVER RAS

3. How To Set FirstName, LastName, & User Logon Name

4. SendMail w/ 50000 Mailboxes

5. User names - firstname.lastname fails

6. Unable to change file types icons

7. cn=lastname,firstname - pros and cons ?

8. Managing information related to network management (or other business info)

9. ADSI User management

10. How to read the Ex2000 user info with ADSI

11. ADSI user permissions to get info from AD

12. Help for retrieving user info with ADSI and VB