Binding to an LDAP Server

Post by Jnanesh Nai » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:46:52

Hi all,
  I am working on a Windows 2000 Professional machine. I am trying to
connect to an LDAP Server using ADSI. I am writing code in a VB application.
Please tell me what references do I have have to add in my project to use
ADSI.

I have used the following code
dim objCont
Set objCont = GetObject("LDAP://ldap.itd.umich.edu/o=University of
Michigan,c=us")

But this gives an errror. Please help me with the syntax. And also what
references do I have to add to my VB Project. I am very new to ADSI so
please excuse my ignorance.Also how do I search for data once the binding to
the LDAP server is done.
Thanxs a Ton.

Binding to an LDAP Server

Post by Jamie Vachon [MVP » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:38:49

You don't have to create any project references to execute the code you
list. If you want early binding and have intellisense help (which might be a
good thing if you're starting out) then set a reference to the "Active DS
Type Library".

Go to www.microsoft.com/adsi and download the ADSI SDK. There are heaps of
good documentation and code examples there.

Jamie M Vachon
[MVP ADSI]

Quote:> Hi all,
>   I am working on a Windows 2000 Professional machine. I am trying to
> connect to an LDAP Server using ADSI. I am writing code in a VB
application.
> Please tell me what references do I have have to add in my project to use
> ADSI.

> I have used the following code
> dim objCont
> Set objCont = GetObject("LDAP://ldap.itd.umich.edu/o=University of
> Michigan,c=us")

> But this gives an errror. Please help me with the syntax. And also what
> references do I have to add to my VB Project. I am very new to ADSI so
> please excuse my ignorance.Also how do I search for data once the binding
> the LDAP server is done.
> Thanxs a Ton.

1. Cannot bind to LDAP Active Directory server

I am using the novell LDAP SDK to bind to an Active Directory Server
from a Linux box.

When I attempt to bind to the server I receive the following error:

LDAP_SERVER_DOWN

I have successfully imported the trusted root CA into the Windows 2000
Advanced Server box which is running Active Directory.

Any help on why this is so I would appreciate.

Paul

2. Undocumented PCL Commands

3. LDAP Bind using ASP - Please help

4. FatalExceptionErrorMS98-HELP!!!!

5. IADsUser/LDAP Bind Authentication Problem

6. WTB : ST

7. Unable to bind to LDAP with multivalued RDNs using ADSI

8. gateway to internet

9. ldap binding

10. LDAP SID Binding

11. LDAP bind with DN to Exchange 5.5