Please Help NEwbie

Post by Gerald Klei » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 01:38:41

Hi, Thanks cvan someone please direct me to an article that would help me
query ADSI and validate a user and obtain group/member information.

thanks
Gerald Klein

Please Help NEwbie

Post by Richard Mueller [MVP » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:56:59

> Hi, Thanks cvan someone please direct me to an article that would help me
> query ADSI and validate a user and obtain group/member information.

Hi,

The best resource for ADSI, VBScript, and WSH is "Microsoft Windows 2000
Scripting Guide". It is available online at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scrguide/sagsas_overvie...

However, it does not cover group membership issues. I have sample snippets
demonstrating some methods to test group membership at:

http://www.rlmueller.net/freecode1.htm

I'm not sure what you mean by validating a user. Here are sample VBScript
logon scripts that retrieve the user name and test group membership:

http://www.rlmueller.net/freecode2.htm

All of this assumes the user has logged onto the domain. If you want to
determine if a user object exists, attempt to bind to the user object and
trap the error if the user does not exist. If you want to validate a
password, or bind to objects in Active Directory using the username and
password of someone else, then you can use alternate credentials. For
example:

Option Explicit
Dim objNS, objDomain, strUser, strPW

Const ADS_SECURE_AUTHENTICATION = 1

strPW = "xyz12345"

Set objNS = GetObject("LDAP:")
Set objDomain = objNS.OpenDSObject("LDAP://dc=MyDomain,dc=com", strUser,
strPW, ADS_SECURE_AUTHENTICATION)

I hope this helps:

--
Richard
Microsoft MVP Scripting and ADSI

1. Please help, newbie!!!

Ok, I installed Mandrake 8.0 and installed Samba with it.  During
installation I left the hostname at the default and after installation was
done I set up smb.conf and was able to find the shares through my windows
machine.  Then I went into linuxconf and changed the host name of the linux
computer and now I can't log on with my windows machine.  And every time I
run 'samba restart' it fails at shutting down the SMB and NMB services but
starts them fine, but I still can't log on.  What is going on?!! These
stupid little things are bugging me!! AAAHHH!!! Please help anyone. Thanks.

2. Supra 288i faxmodem...

3. newbie questions - please help

4. Koskinen Admits That The Truth Would Panic The Public

5. Newbie here - Please help. Test Server Implementation Question

6. Weekly list FAQ posting

7. Please help a Newbie

8. Brutus Audio problems

9. VPN help for VPN newbie please?

10. Newbie Install Problem - Please Help!

11. VPN newbie problem, please help.

12. Newbie Help Please.

13. Help with SAMBA on SGi for newbie please