Private Website - ASP Page to change user passwords

Private Website - ASP Page to change user passwords

Post by =Cobra » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:56:54

Been struggling with this all day....

I am completely new to LDAP and ADSI, but I host a private website secured
by NTFS and users in AD.  I desire to use a page where users can change
online their passwords.

I have tried the script listed here;

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2...
html/passwords.asp

Spent all day with a headache reading about LDAP and ADSI

The script worked fine with one exception when I used;sConnectString =
"WinNT://bigboat/" & sUser & ",user",

When I changed the users password.... it did not change it, but added the
password.  (1 user 2 valid passwords ? ? ? )

So I figured that it has to do with using AD....  so I changed the script as
discussed in the article as follows,

sConnectString = "LDAP://CN=" &
  sUser & ",OU=users, " &
  "DC=mycompany, DC=Com"

and got the following results. (info changed for security)

User name is: user -- 123456
New Password is: testing
Connect string: LDAP://user.mydomain.local
error '8007203a'
The server is not operational.
/private/Account/ChangePassword.asp, line 24

I am running the following;
Win2K Server, Basic Authenication, Host Headers, IIS5, FP 2002 Extensions,
using sub-domain to create the private website.
I am not currently running SSL, but plan on adding it.....  Is my second
problem have to do with not running SSL, I know it suggests to run SSL to
hide plain text passwords being caught...  but is it necessary.

Any and all help/direction is appreciated, Thanks

        =Cobra=

Private Website - ASP Page to change user passwords

Post by =Cobra » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:51:22

Forget it..... read to the bottom of the 7000 posts.... saw someone else
with the same problem with multiple passwords, and it was noted the extra
passwords expired in a short period of time, and mine is doing the same and
is acceptable

Thanks,

        =Cobra=
.
.

Quote:> Been struggling with this all day....

> I am completely new to LDAP and ADSI, but I host a private website secured
> by NTFS and users in AD.  I desire to use a page where users can change
> online their passwords.

> I have tried the script listed here;

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2...
> html/passwords.asp

> Spent all day with a headache reading about LDAP and ADSI

> The script worked fine with one exception when I used;sConnectString =
> "WinNT://bigboat/" & sUser & ",user",

> When I changed the users password.... it did not change it, but added the
> password.  (1 user 2 valid passwords ? ? ? )

> So I figured that it has to do with using AD....  so I changed the script
as
> discussed in the article as follows,

> sConnectString = "LDAP://CN=" &
>   sUser & ",OU=users, " &
>   "DC=mycompany, DC=Com"

> and got the following results. (info changed for security)

> User name is: user -- 123456
> New Password is: testing
> Connect string: LDAP://user.mydomain.local
> error '8007203a'
> The server is not operational.
> /private/Account/ChangePassword.asp, line 24

> I am running the following;
> Win2K Server, Basic Authenication, Host Headers, IIS5, FP 2002 Extensions,
> using sub-domain to create the private website.
> I am not currently running SSL, but plan on adding it.....  Is my second
> problem have to do with not running SSL, I know it suggests to run SSL to
> hide plain text passwords being caught...  but is it necessary.

> Any and all help/direction is appreciated, Thanks

>         =Cobra=

Private Website - ASP Page to change user passwords

Post by Carlos Magalhae » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:55:12

Hi,

If you communictation with AD you shouldnt be using the WinNT provider
at all suprised it even worked(there are odd cases where is does) you
must always use the LDAP provider.

can you show us more of the code i.e. how you are setting the password
etc so that we can get and idea

The server is not operational.
/private/Account/ChangePassword.asp, line 24

Means that the LDAP provider can not contact that server you have
provided and in some cases as with Exchange 5.5 if the LDAP protocol
is not enabled one always get this error.

Your LDAP path should look like this:

LDAP://CN=DomainUsers,CN=UsersOU,DC=Mydomain,DC=com

If you plan on using authentication here is an article on
authetication types you can use for LDAP (implemented ms way)

Check this post out it explains what authentication types you can use
(or that are available) and on what LDAP port.

Hope that helps

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:56:54 -0600, "=Cobra="

>Been struggling with this all day....

>I am completely new to LDAP and ADSI, but I host a private website secured
>by NTFS and users in AD.  I desire to use a page where users can change
>online their passwords.

>I have tried the script listed here;

>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2...
>html/passwords.asp

>Spent all day with a headache reading about LDAP and ADSI

>The script worked fine with one exception when I used;sConnectString =
>"WinNT://bigboat/" & sUser & ",user",

>When I changed the users password.... it did not change it, but added the
>password.  (1 user 2 valid passwords ? ? ? )

>So I figured that it has to do with using AD....  so I changed the script as
>discussed in the article as follows,

>sConnectString = "LDAP://CN=" &
>  sUser & ",OU=users, " &
>  "DC=mycompany, DC=Com"

>and got the following results. (info changed for security)

>User name is: user -- 123456
>New Password is: testing
>Connect string: LDAP://user.mydomain.local
>error '8007203a'
>The server is not operational.
>/private/Account/ChangePassword.asp, line 24

>I am running the following;
>Win2K Server, Basic Authenication, Host Headers, IIS5, FP 2002 Extensions,
>using sub-domain to create the private website.
>I am not currently running SSL, but plan on adding it.....  Is my second
>problem have to do with not running SSL, I know it suggests to run SSL to
>hide plain text passwords being caught...  but is it necessary.

>Any and all help/direction is appreciated, Thanks

>        =Cobra=

Carlos Magalhaes
Professional ADSI/DirectoryServices Help and answers?
Professional WMI Programming Help and answers?

1. Enabling users to change their password via web page (ASP/ADSI)

Hi, I've seen many discussions on this subject but no solutions. I've
been trying to connect the users current user object using
opendsobject. Unfortunately, it seems to ingore using this account and
use the IIS web user account instead which will not have rights to
change users passwords.

If anyone has a working solution for this I would LOVE to see it. I've
been bashing my head against a brick wall for a couple of days now!

Thanks
Chris

2. games?

3. ASP/ADSI Page to Change passwords

4. Xemics CoolRisc

5. ASP page for users to change properties (mobile number etc)

6. NT networking issue

7. Change User Password via ADSI & ASP

8. reboot vs. power cycle

9. Changing User Passwords with ADSI & ASP

10. Changing a user password who has 'Change Password at next Logon' flagged

11. Changing User Password when set to Change at next logon

12. Change Password and User ID and Password Authentication Program Questions

13. Cant SET 'user cant change password' AND 'password never expires'