Does XMI export work in Visio 2002 Pro?

Post by RA » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:22:38

You would need two "\\" for the filepath directory
e.g. d:\\yeah2.xml

--
-ronnie
[MS]

Quote:> Does anyone know if the UML XMI export capability works in Visio 2002 Pro
> without also having Visual .Net Enterprise Architect installed?  I have
> Visio 2002 Pro (SR1), but not VS .Net E/A.  I installed the dll per:

http://www.veryComputer.com/
Quote:> tml/umlxmi.asp?frame=true and tried to access the capability with the
> following Visio VBA macro which was posted by a user elsewhere in these
> newsgroups:
> -------------------
> Public Sub ExportToXmi()

>   Dim pAO As Addon
>   Set pAO = Application.Addons.Item("UML Background Add-on")

>   If pAO Is Nothing Then
>     MsgBox "Can't find add on", vbCritical
>     Exit Sub
>   End If

>   pAO.Run "/CMD=400 /XMIFILE=" + """" + "d:\YEAH2.xml" + """"

> End Sub
> --------------

> Stepping through the macro in the de* shows that pAO is set
> successfully.  pAO.Run doesn't produce any exceptions that I can detect,
but
> no output file is written.

> Thanks,

> --
> Bill Watkins
> Applications Architect
> Boeing - Houston

> "Any opinions are my own and do not represent those of Boeing."

Does XMI export work in Visio 2002 Pro?

Post by Bill Watkin » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 02:01:19

Ronnie --

The double-slash seems to have no effect -- I'm still not getting an ouput
file.

Bill

> You would need two "\\" for the filepath directory
> e.g. d:\\yeah2.xml

> --
> -ronnie
> [MS]
rights.

> > Does anyone know if the UML XMI export capability works in Visio 2002
Pro
> > without also having Visual .Net Enterprise Architect installed?  I have
> > Visio 2002 Pro (SR1), but not VS .Net E/A.  I installed the dll per:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> > tml/umlxmi.asp?frame=true and tried to access the capability with the
> > following Visio VBA macro which was posted by a user elsewhere in these
> > newsgroups:
> > -------------------
> > Public Sub ExportToXmi()

> >   Dim pAO As Addon
> >   Set pAO = Application.Addons.Item("UML Background Add-on")

> >   If pAO Is Nothing Then
> >     MsgBox "Can't find add on", vbCritical
> >     Exit Sub
> >   End If

> >   pAO.Run "/CMD=400 /XMIFILE=" + """" + "d:\YEAH2.xml" + """"

> > End Sub
> > --------------

> > Stepping through the macro in the de* shows that pAO is set
> > successfully.  pAO.Run doesn't produce any exceptions that I can detect,
> but
> > no output file is written.

> > Thanks,

> > --
> > Bill Watkins
> > Applications Architect
> > Boeing - Houston

> > "Any opinions are my own and do not represent those of Boeing."

Does XMI export work in Visio 2002 Pro?

Post by Julio Andrad » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 08:11:36

Bill,

are you sure you have the SR1 for Visio 2002 installed? We saw that behavior
when we didn't have it.

Julio

> Ronnie --

> The double-slash seems to have no effect -- I'm still not getting an ouput
> file.

> Bill

> > You would need two "\\" for the filepath directory
> > e.g. d:\\yeah2.xml

> > --
> > -ronnie
> > [MS]
> rights.

> > > Does anyone know if the UML XMI export capability works in Visio 2002
> Pro
> > > without also having Visual .Net Enterprise Architect installed?  I
have
> > > Visio 2002 Pro (SR1), but not VS .Net E/A.  I installed the dll per:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> > > tml/umlxmi.asp?frame=true and tried to access the capability with the
> > > following Visio VBA macro which was posted by a user elsewhere in
these
> > > newsgroups:
> > > -------------------
> > > Public Sub ExportToXmi()

> > >   Dim pAO As Addon
> > >   Set pAO = Application.Addons.Item("UML Background Add-on")

> > >   If pAO Is Nothing Then
> > >     MsgBox "Can't find add on", vbCritical
> > >     Exit Sub
> > >   End If

> > >   pAO.Run "/CMD=400 /XMIFILE=" + """" + "d:\YEAH2.xml" + """"

> > > End Sub
> > > --------------

> > > Stepping through the macro in the de* shows that pAO is set
> > > successfully.  pAO.Run doesn't produce any exceptions that I can
detect,
> > but
> > > no output file is written.

> > > Thanks,

> > > --
> > > Bill Watkins
> > > Applications Architect
> > > Boeing - Houston

> > > "Any opinions are my own and do not represent those of Boeing."

Does XMI export work in Visio 2002 Pro?

Post by Bill Watkin » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:29:20

The "about" version reads Visio 2002 Professional SR-1 (10.0.2514)

Let me reiterate my original question, which is that I don't have Visual
Studio .Net Enterprise.  (The only .Net I have is the SDK.)

Bill

Let me reiterate that I do not

> Bill,

> are you sure you have the SR1 for Visio 2002 installed? We saw that
behavior
> when we didn't have it.

> Julio

> > Ronnie --

> > The double-slash seems to have no effect -- I'm still not getting an
ouput
> > file.

> > Bill

> > > You would need two "\\" for the filepath directory
> > > e.g. d:\\yeah2.xml

> > > --
> > > -ronnie
> > > [MS]
> > rights.

> > Pro
> have

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> > > > tml/umlxmi.asp?frame=true and tried to access the capability with
the
> these

> detect,
> > > but

Does XMI export work in Visio 2002 Pro?

Post by RA » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 09:09:30

Yes, i think you might need to have some version of VS.Net installed

--
-ronnie
[MS]

> The "about" version reads Visio 2002 Professional SR-1 (10.0.2514)

> Let me reiterate my original question, which is that I don't have Visual
> Studio .Net Enterprise.  (The only .Net I have is the SDK.)

> Bill

> Let me reiterate that I do not

> > Bill,

> > are you sure you have the SR1 for Visio 2002 installed? We saw that
> behavior
> > when we didn't have it.

> > Julio

> > > Ronnie --

> > > The double-slash seems to have no effect -- I'm still not getting an
> ouput
> > > file.

> > > Bill

> > > rights.

> 2002
> > > Pro
> > have
per:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> > > > > tml/umlxmi.asp?frame=true and tried to access the capability with
> the
> > these

> > detect,

Does XMI export work in Visio 2002 Pro?

Post by Julio Andrad » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 02:37:12

Ronnie,

this is not true. We have several PCs with 2002 Pro that don't have VS.Net
installed and the macro works fine. It is the Add-in that comes with the XMI
download the one that introduces the dependency (XMIExport.vsl). We even
created our own Add-in with DevStudio 6 and removed the dependency. That
also works.

Bill,

have you tried on a second PC?

Julio

> Yes, i think you might need to have some version of VS.Net installed

> --
> -ronnie
> [MS]
rights.

> > The "about" version reads Visio 2002 Professional SR-1 (10.0.2514)

> > Let me reiterate my original question, which is that I don't have Visual
> > Studio .Net Enterprise.  (The only .Net I have is the SDK.)

> > Bill

> > Let me reiterate that I do not

> > > Bill,

> > > are you sure you have the SR1 for Visio 2002 installed? We saw that
> > behavior
> > > when we didn't have it.

> > > Julio

> > ouput

> > 2002
> > > have
> per:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> > > > > > tml/umlxmi.asp?frame=true and tried to access the capability
with
> > the
> > > these

> > > detect,

Does XMI export work in Visio 2002 Pro?

Post by RA » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:14:02

Thanks for the update Julio

--
-ronnie
[MS]

> Ronnie,

> this is not true. We have several PCs with 2002 Pro that don't have VS.Net
> installed and the macro works fine. It is the Add-in that comes with the
XMI
> download the one that introduces the dependency (XMIExport.vsl). We even
> created our own Add-in with DevStudio 6 and removed the dependency. That
> also works.

> Bill,

> have you tried on a second PC?

> Julio

> > Yes, i think you might need to have some version of VS.Net installed

> > --
> > -ronnie
> > [MS]
> rights.

> > > The "about" version reads Visio 2002 Professional SR-1 (10.0.2514)

> > > Let me reiterate my original question, which is that I don't have
Visual
> > > Studio .Net Enterprise.  (The only .Net I have is the SDK.)

> > > Bill

> > > Let me reiterate that I do not

> > > behavior

> > > ouput

> no

Visio
> > > 2002
> > per:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> > > > > > > tml/umlxmi.asp?frame=true and tried to access the capability
> with
> > > the
> in

Boeing."

1. XMI Export not available in Visio 2002 Pro

Hello,

I installed 2002 Pro, downloaded the XMI Exporter from [1], compiled the add
on, and placed the files in the appropriate location [2]. However, the XMI
Export option doesn't appear under Tools > Macros > Visio Extras.

The exact same files (in the same locations) work on a second PC that has
Visio for Enterprise Architects.

Thanks,
Julio

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample...
l=/msdn-files/027/001/780/msdncompositedoc.xml&FinishURL=%2Fdownloads%2Frele
ase%2Easp%3Freleaseid%3D35645%26redirect%3Dno

[2]
VisioUmlAddon.vsl under C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Visio10\1033\Solutions\Visio Extras

XMIExport.dll under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Visio10\DLL

2. Something in Win2000 overrides my css

3. Visio Pro 5.0 & Visio Pro 2002

4. Comdex Exhibition

5. Visio 2002 Pro - print/export UML classes

6. SUN DAT Drive in 411 Case $75.00

7. Visio 2002: XMI Support (Or lack thereof), and other idiocies

8. Notes for Software Development

9. XML/XMI import into Visio 2002

10. Visio pro 2002 + Netscape+relative Hyperlinks=does not work

11. ODBC error when opening Visio file in Visio 2002 Pro

12. Visio 2002 Pro - vs - Visio 5 std

13. Visio 2002 (aka Visio 10 Marketing Beta) doesn't work with Office XP