Visio 2002 Link to bookmark in open Word document does not work

Visio 2002 Link to bookmark in open Word document does not work

Post by Jimm » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:20:25



When linking to a certain bookmark in a word document the
link works fine if the document is not open
If the document is already open however the cursor is not
positioned at the desired bookmark but rather on the same
position as was when you last left the document.
Is this a known bug? Can I do anything about it without
programming?
 
 
 

Visio 2002 Link to bookmark in open Word document does not work

Post by Andy Howe [MS » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 01:00:03


Take a look at the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299175

I'm not sure if this is the same issue you're running into, but give it a
try to see if it solves it. Visio's web export might be dropping the
bookmark from the link, however since it works for you when the Word doc is
closed, I'm not sure it's the same issue.

--
Andy Howe
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


Quote:> When linking to a certain bookmark in a word document the
> link works fine if the document is not open
> If the document is already open however the cursor is not
> positioned at the desired bookmark but rather on the same
> position as was when you last left the document.
> Is this a known bug? Can I do anything about it without
> programming?


 
 
 

Visio 2002 Link to bookmark in open Word document does not work

Post by Joe » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 06:35:21


I think this is more about the architecture of linking
itself.  When you link to a bookmarked position in a doc,
the link tells the system, not Word, to OPEN the file to
the specified location in it's native application.  When
the file is already open, the system cannot instruct Word
to do anything with this doc because Word has already
siezed control of it.  The more technical explanation
might be hinged on DDE, but I know very little
(essentially na-da) on that issue.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>When linking to a certain bookmark in a word document
the
>link works fine if the document is not open
>If the document is already open however the cursor is
not
>positioned at the desired bookmark but rather on the
same
>position as was when you last left the document.
>Is this a known bug? Can I do anything about it without
>programming?
>.

 
 
 

Visio 2002 Link to bookmark in open Word document does not work

Post by Jimm » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:42:11


Thanks.

That is what I was thinking also.
It is more error by design than a bug.

/Jimmy

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I think this is more about the architecture of linking
>itself.  When you link to a bookmarked position in a doc,
>the link tells the system, not Word, to OPEN the file to
>the specified location in it's native application.  When
>the file is already open, the system cannot instruct Word
>to do anything with this doc because Word has already
>siezed control of it.  The more technical explanation
>might be hinged on DDE, but I know very little
>(essentially na-da) on that issue.

>>-----Original Message-----
>>When linking to a certain bookmark in a word document
>the
>>link works fine if the document is not open
>>If the document is already open however the cursor is
>not
>>positioned at the desired bookmark but rather on the
>same
>>position as was when you last left the document.
>>Is this a known bug? Can I do anything about it without
>>programming?
>>.

>.

 
 
 

Visio 2002 Link to bookmark in open Word document does not work

Post by Jimm » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:43:51


Thanks

I was not saving it as webfiles, but this information can
come handy anyway.
It is probably more of a DDE-handling like Joe wrote.

/Jimmy

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Take a look at the following KB article:

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
us;299175

>I'm not sure if this is the same issue you're running
into, but give it a
>try to see if it solves it. Visio's web export might be
dropping the
>bookmark from the link, however since it works for you

when the Word doc is
>closed, I'm not sure it's the same issue.

>--
>Andy Howe
>Microsoft Corporation

>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.



>> When linking to a certain bookmark in a word document
the
>> link works fine if the document is not open
>> If the document is already open however the cursor is
not
>> positioned at the desired bookmark but rather on the
same
>> position as was when you last left the document.
>> Is this a known bug? Can I do anything about it without
>> programming?

>.

 
 
 

1. Visio 2000 document opened in Visio 2002

When I open a Visio 2000 or any below version documents in
Visio 2002, the character spacing for the text looks like
expanded though the setting says "normal". Because of this
the text gets wrapped up and goes outside the shape border
(Rectangle). Any idea what the problem is and how to fix
it?

Saravanan

2. Effects of Overclocking on Visor Deluxe?

3. Visio 5.0 opening Visio 2002 doc saved as Visio 5.0

4. CLD question

5. Can not view Visio 2002 document after saving

6. Having Trouble Archiving Anything!!!!!

7. Visio 2002 Not opening

8. REQ: Where can I find Winsolo freeware version?

9. ODBC error when opening Visio file in Visio 2002 Pro

10. Visio HTML Hyperlink to Word document with bookmark

11. Opening VISIO 2002 w/VISIO 2000

12. Opening an older Visio file in Visio 2002

13. Problem opening Visio 2000 diagrams in Visio 2002