Visio Visio and Microsoft Visio 2000

Post by Kathy Jarvi » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I am a Visio Trainer in the UK and I upgraded my version of Visio from 5 to
2000 whenit was released at the end of November.  At that time it was Visio
2000 by Visio Corp.

I trained it yesterday to find that the version the client had loaded is the
Microsoft version.  What happened and when?  Is it a service release or full
upgrade.  When was it released?  How do I get hold of it and will it cost
me?

And most importantly - what's the differences?  I noticed a few additional
options and some of the templates do different things.  Anything else?

Cheers
Kathy Jarvis

Visio Visio and Microsoft Visio 2000

Post by John Marshall, MV » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Visio was bought by Microsoft at the beginning of the year. The main
difference should be product identification (references to Microsoft rather
than Visio Corp). There is a Service Release available, but you will have to
contact Microsoft directly.

What differences did you notice? Was the Microsoft version, Visio Standard,
Visio Professional or Visio Technical? There is also the possibility that it
was the US versus international version.

--
John ....                Visio MVP

(Only responses to the newsgroups will be answered)

Quote:> I am a Visio Trainer in the UK and I upgraded my version of Visio from 5
> 2000 whenit was released at the end of November.  At that time it was
Visio
> 2000 by Visio Corp.

> I trained it yesterday to find that the version the client had loaded is
the
> Microsoft version.  What happened and when?  Is it a service release or
full
> upgrade.  When was it released?  How do I get hold of it and will it cost
> me?

> And most importantly - what's the differences?  I noticed a few additional
> options and some of the templates do different things.  Anything else?

> Cheers
> Kathy Jarvis

Visio Visio and Microsoft Visio 2000

Post by zrassle » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I noticed a couple of differences:

MSVisio2k has corrected the weak underlines in VisioVisio2k.
MSVisio2k can't open Visio5 files, while VisioVisio2k can open Visio5 files.

> Visio was bought by Microsoft at the beginning of the year. The main
> difference should be product identification (references to Microsoft
rather
> than Visio Corp). There is a Service Release available, but you will have
> contact Microsoft directly.

> What differences did you notice? Was the Microsoft version, Visio
Standard,
> Visio Professional or Visio Technical? There is also the possibility that
it
> was the US versus international version.

> --
> John ....                Visio MVP

> (Only responses to the newsgroups will be answered)

> > I am a Visio Trainer in the UK and I upgraded my version of Visio from 5
> > 2000 whenit was released at the end of November.  At that time it was
> Visio
> > 2000 by Visio Corp.

> > I trained it yesterday to find that the version the client had loaded is
> the
> > Microsoft version.  What happened and when?  Is it a service release or
> full
> > upgrade.  When was it released?  How do I get hold of it and will it
cost
> > me?

> > And most importantly - what's the differences?  I noticed a few
additional
> > options and some of the templates do different things.  Anything else?

> > Cheers
> > Kathy Jarvis

Visio Visio and Microsoft Visio 2000

Post by Lori » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

MSV2K = V2K SR-1.  MSV2K should open all Visio files back to Visio 1.0.  Can
you explain why you think it won't open V5 files?  Are you having trouble
with a particular file or every old Visio file?  MSV2K = V2K SR-1.

> I noticed a couple of differences:

> MSVisio2k has corrected the weak underlines in VisioVisio2k.
> MSVisio2k can't open Visio5 files, while VisioVisio2k can open Visio5
files.

> > Visio was bought by Microsoft at the beginning of the year. The main
> > difference should be product identification (references to Microsoft
> rather
> > than Visio Corp). There is a Service Release available, but you will
have
> > contact Microsoft directly.

> > What differences did you notice? Was the Microsoft version, Visio
> Standard,
> > Visio Professional or Visio Technical? There is also the possibility
that
> it
> > was the US versus international version.

> > --
> > John ....                Visio MVP

> > (Only responses to the newsgroups will be answered)

> > > I am a Visio Trainer in the UK and I upgraded my version of Visio from
5
> > > 2000 whenit was released at the end of November.  At that time it was
> > Visio
> > > 2000 by Visio Corp.

> > > I trained it yesterday to find that the version the client had loaded
is
> > the
> > > Microsoft version.  What happened and when?  Is it a service release
or
> > full
> > > upgrade.  When was it released?  How do I get hold of it and will it
> cost
> > > me?

> > > And most importantly - what's the differences?  I noticed a few
> additional
> > > options and some of the templates do different things.  Anything else?

> > > Cheers
> > > Kathy Jarvis

Visio Visio and Microsoft Visio 2000

Post by Jeff Benni » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Lori,

Actually I have found some Visio5 docs which do open in MSVisio2k. However,
on my longer Visio5 flowcharts I received the following error in MSVisio2k
(technical) on Windows2k:

Program Error
[exclamation point in triangle]
Visio32.exe has generated errors and will  be closed by Windows. You will
need to restart the program.
An error log is being created.

If I first import the Visio5 document into Visio Visio2k then save it and
open it from MS Visio2k I have no problems. Good thing I have two computers.

zrassler/Jeff/noname/whatever it says in the "from" field