How to Hyperlink Shape to Shape Across Visio Files

How to Hyperlink Shape to Shape Across Visio Files

Post by Bob » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:38:21

I want to link one shape in one Visio diagram/file to a
specific shape in another diagram/file.  I seem to be
having a problem with identifying the sub-address.

When I click Browse for the Sub-Address field on the
Hyperlinks window, a Hyperlink window with 3 fields
appears.  The three fields are page, shape and zoom.

The page field offers "Page-1" as an option.

However, there is no drop down list in the Shape field,
and it would appear to be here that I need to identify the
particular shape in the 2nd Visio to which I want to link
to.

How do I identify the sub-address of a given shape?

If Visio does not establish sub-addresses for shapes, how
do I then establish a sub-address for a shape?

Ideas?

How to Hyperlink Shape to Shape Across Visio Files

Post by Joe » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:18:50

Bob,

In browsing for the sub-address, the pages offered as
choices are based on the pages' names in the file as
saved.  For instance, if the drawing has 2 pages, but
only had 1 page when you last saved the file, you will
only be offered the choice of that one page until you
save the file with the second page included.

To specify a particular Shape you will need to know the
particular Shape Name and type it in manually (yes, I
wish there was a drop list... but there isn't).  To find
the Shape Name, the easiest way I know of is to have the
Size & Position window open (in Auto-Hide mode is fine
and how I usually have it) and select the Shape.  The
Shape ID will be after "Size & Position - " in the title
bar.  Alternatively, it is given in the Format|Special...
dialogue.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I want to link one shape in one Visio diagram/file to a
>specific shape in another diagram/file.  I seem to be
>having a problem with identifying the sub-address.

>When I click Browse for the Sub-Address field on the
>Hyperlinks window, a Hyperlink window with 3 fields
>appears.  The three fields are page, shape and zoom.

>The page field offers "Page-1" as an option.

>However, there is no drop down list in the Shape field,
>and it would appear to be here that I need to identify
the
>particular shape in the 2nd Visio to which I want to
link
>to.

>How do I identify the sub-address of a given shape?

>If Visio does not establish sub-addresses for shapes,
how
>do I then establish a sub-address for a shape?

>Ideas?
>.

How to Hyperlink Shape to Shape Across Visio Files

Post by Joe » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:46:58

Manually type in the Shape Name.  The Shape Name is given
in the title bar of the Size & Position Window when it is
selected, in the title bar of the ShapeSheet, and also in
Format|Special.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I want to link one shape in one Visio diagram/file to a
>specific shape in another diagram/file.  I seem to be
>having a problem with identifying the sub-address.

>When I click Browse for the Sub-Address field on the
>Hyperlinks window, a Hyperlink window with 3 fields
>appears.  The three fields are page, shape and zoom.

>The page field offers "Page-1" as an option.

>However, there is no drop down list in the Shape field,
>and it would appear to be here that I need to identify
the
>particular shape in the 2nd Visio to which I want to
link
>to.

>How do I identify the sub-address of a given shape?

>If Visio does not establish sub-addresses for shapes,
how
>do I then establish a sub-address for a shape?

>Ideas?
>.

How to Hyperlink Shape to Shape Across Visio Files

Post by Joe » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:52:05

You have to manually type in the shape name (given in
Size & Position Window title bar, Format|Special
dialogue, and title bar of ShapeSheet).

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I want to link one shape in one Visio diagram/file to a
>specific shape in another diagram/file.  I seem to be
>having a problem with identifying the sub-address.

>When I click Browse for the Sub-Address field on the
>Hyperlinks window, a Hyperlink window with 3 fields
>appears.  The three fields are page, shape and zoom.

>The page field offers "Page-1" as an option.

>However, there is no drop down list in the Shape field,
>and it would appear to be here that I need to identify
the
>particular shape in the 2nd Visio to which I want to
link
>to.

>How do I identify the sub-address of a given shape?

>If Visio does not establish sub-addresses for shapes,
how
>do I then establish a sub-address for a shape?

>Ideas?
>.

1. Hyperlink from Shape 2 Shape

I am using Visio 2000 SR-1. I was attempting to hyperlink from a shape on
one page to a shape on another page within the same drawing. The online doc
seems to indicate this as something doable. I select an the shape to apply a
hyperlink. I pull down the Insert Menu and select Hyperlinks. I click browse
next to the Subaddress field within the Hyperlinks dialog box. This pops up
a Hyperlink dialog box.  I can select the page on which the destination
shape resides by pulldown and I type the name of the destination shape in
the Shape field. After clicking ok to both dialog boxes, I attempt to use
the hyperlink which returns the following error, Hyperlink to <dest shape>
failed. Make sure address is correct and try again. I tried attaching a
label to the destination shape so Visio could find it another way, but to no
avail. Would anyone care to offer some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. WSAEWOULDBLOCK in MFC

3. Is there a way to attach menus instead of hyperlinks to shapes in Visio?

4. New buzzword

5. Hyperlinking Visio Shapes to MS Word Bookmarks

6. Domino.doc searching

7. double click shape opens that shape's page?

8. Text Editors: Commodore 128, CP/M 3.0

9. Deleting 1D-Shapes connected to a 2D-Shape...

10. "Organization Chart shapes cannot be included in a group shape"

11. how to make my own shapes behave like the shapes from stencils ??

12. Hiding shapes/Changing shape sttributes

13. Shape Hyperlink & Target Frame in webpage