Hyperlink from Shape 2 Shape

Post by Ron » Fri, 16 May 2003 04:02:32

I am using Visio 2000 SR-1. I was attempting to hyperlink from a shape on
one page to a shape on another page within the same drawing. The online doc
seems to indicate this as something doable. I select an the shape to apply a
hyperlink. I pull down the Insert Menu and select Hyperlinks. I click browse
next to the Subaddress field within the Hyperlinks dialog box. This pops up
a Hyperlink dialog box.  I can select the page on which the destination
shape resides by pulldown and I type the name of the destination shape in
the Shape field. After clicking ok to both dialog boxes, I attempt to use
the hyperlink which returns the following error, Hyperlink to <dest shape>
failed. Make sure address is correct and try again. I tried attaching a
label to the destination shape so Visio could find it another way, but to no
avail. Would anyone care to offer some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Ron

Hyperlink from Shape 2 Shape

Post by Karsten Farrel » Fri, 16 May 2003 04:37:55

Quote:> I am using Visio 2000 SR-1. I was attempting to hyperlink from a shape on
> one page to a shape on another page within the same drawing. The online doc
> seems to indicate this as something doable. I select an the shape to apply a
> hyperlink. I pull down the Insert Menu and select Hyperlinks. I click browse
> next to the Subaddress field within the Hyperlinks dialog box. This pops up
> a Hyperlink dialog box.  I can select the page on which the destination
> shape resides by pulldown and I type the name of the destination shape in
> the Shape field. After clicking ok to both dialog boxes, I attempt to use
> the hyperlink which returns the following error, Hyperlink to <dest shape>
> failed. Make sure address is correct and try again. I tried attaching a
> label to the destination shape so Visio could find it another way, but to no
> avail. Would anyone care to offer some guidance. Thanks in advance.

> Ron

You seem to have done the exact same steps I use in Visio 2000/SR1 to
create hyperlinks. How did you assign a name to the target shape? Here's
how I do it:

Assign a name by right-clicking the target shape, choosing Format /
Special from the popup, and typing the name in the Name textbox.

Then select the source shape (where the hyperlink will go) and press
Ctrl+K. In the Address textbox, I type target.vsd (or whatever your
target diagram is called). In the Sub-address textbox, I type
tab/targetshape (where tab is the name of the sheet tab and targetshape
is the name I assigned to the target above). In the Description I
usually type the target shape name, though that's optional. I checkmark
the Use relative paths checkbox. And click OK.

That's all I do.
--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA

Hyperlink from Shape 2 Shape

Post by Ron » Fri, 16 May 2003 23:05:27

Karsten,

In my previous message, when I was mentioning a label I was referring to
utilizing "Define Custom Properties" dialog box. This seemed to be the
answer since VB works in a similar way. But, alas, it did not.

But, I did stumble onto the same method you discuss in your response  for
which I thank you. Hope you are enjoying your retirement. We appreciate the
help to those still stuck in the rut. '-)

Ron

> > I am using Visio 2000 SR-1. I was attempting to hyperlink from a shape
on
> > one page to a shape on another page within the same drawing. The online
doc
> > seems to indicate this as something doable. I select an the shape to
apply a
> > hyperlink. I pull down the Insert Menu and select Hyperlinks. I click
browse
> > next to the Subaddress field within the Hyperlinks dialog box. This pops
up
> > a Hyperlink dialog box.  I can select the page on which the destination
> > shape resides by pulldown and I type the name of the destination shape
in
> > the Shape field. After clicking ok to both dialog boxes, I attempt to
use
> > the hyperlink which returns the following error, Hyperlink to <dest
shape>
> > failed. Make sure address is correct and try again. I tried attaching a
> > label to the destination shape so Visio could find it another way, but
to no
> > avail. Would anyone care to offer some guidance. Thanks in advance.

> > Ron

> You seem to have done the exact same steps I use in Visio 2000/SR1 to
> create hyperlinks. How did you assign a name to the target shape? Here's
> how I do it:

> Assign a name by right-clicking the target shape, choosing Format /
> Special from the popup, and typing the name in the Name textbox.

> Then select the source shape (where the hyperlink will go) and press
> Ctrl+K. In the Address textbox, I type target.vsd (or whatever your
> target diagram is called). In the Sub-address textbox, I type
> tab/targetshape (where tab is the name of the sheet tab and targetshape
> is the name I assigned to the target above). In the Description I
> usually type the target shape name, though that's optional. I checkmark
> the Use relative paths checkbox. And click OK.

> That's all I do.
> --
> /Karsten
> DBA > retired > DBA

1. How to Hyperlink Shape to Shape Across Visio Files

I want to link one shape in one Visio diagram/file to a
specific shape in another diagram/file.  I seem to be
having a problem with identifying the sub-address.

When I click Browse for the Sub-Address field on the
Hyperlinks window, a Hyperlink window with 3 fields
appears.  The three fields are page, shape and zoom.

The page field offers "Page-1" as an option.

However, there is no drop down list in the Shape field,
and it would appear to be here that I need to identify the
particular shape in the 2nd Visio to which I want to link
to.

How do I identify the sub-address of a given shape?

If Visio does not establish sub-addresses for shapes, how
do I then establish a sub-address for a shape?

Ideas?

2. Qusrsys file locked during save operation: why?

3. double click shape opens that shape's page?

4. Help getting 24X IDE CDROM to work on old 486

5. Deleting 1D-Shapes connected to a 2D-Shape...

6. TBRIDGE - Where can I get it?

7. "Organization Chart shapes cannot be included in a group shape"

8. specmarks for popular machines?

9. how to make my own shapes behave like the shapes from stencils ??

10. Hiding shapes/Changing shape sttributes

11. Shape Hyperlink & Target Frame in webpage

12. Is there a way to attach menus instead of hyperlinks to shapes in Visio?

13. Hyperlink to specific shape