Visio Styles

Post by Burke Rutherfor » Sat, 24 May 2003 05:17:14

Can you create custom styles in visio where a user could
load a template which would give them access to specific
connectors, boxes and colors (for example: company
colors) so it would be easy for them to create flow
charts with a similar look.

Thanks

Visio Styles

Post by Dawn Wright [MS » Sun, 25 May 2003 03:23:17

Burke,

Yes, Visio is designed for this.  Try searching on "style" and "template" in
the Help that comes with Visio.

Here is some of the overview information from Visio 2002's Help:

Templates

When you know that you'll be creating multiple drawing files that need a
consistent look, you can create a template on which to base all the
drawings. Creating your own template eliminates the need to open the
appropriate stencils, create styles, and establish page settings for each
drawing file, because they are all contained in one place.

Increase your efficiency by creating your own templates:

If your drawings require customized settings for page size or scale, window
size and position, shape or text styles, color palette, snap and glue, or
printing, create a template that has the appropriate settings.

If your drawings often use a standard background or set of layers-such as
your company logo-create a template that has the background or layers.

How styles become part of a template

To make a particular style available in future drawings, you can either
define or edit the current drawing in an existing template or save the
drawing file as a new template. The new style becomes part of that template.

When you define or edit styles in a drawing file, the changes you make are
available only in the current drawing. To make a style available in drawings
you'll create later, you can define or edit it in an existing template or
save the drawing file in which you created the style as a new template. The
style will be included in every new drawing you create that is based upon
that template.

When you edit or define a style, the color palette in the template on which
you base your drawing determines the colors you can choose. All Visio
templates use a default color palette. You can change the color palette a
drawing uses or modify the colors within the default color palette.

When to create a template

Create a template when you make drawings that consistently use the same
stencils, styles, and page settings. Then you can base new drawings on this
template, and you can distribute the template to other Microsoft Visio users
in your organization.

The easiest way to create a template is to create a drawing file that has
the settings you want, open the stencils you want, and then save the drawing
as a template (.vst) file. If you simply want to change some of the settings
of an existing Visio template, you can base a drawing on that template, save
it with a new name, and then make your changes.

--
Dawn

Quote:> Can you create custom styles in visio where a user could
> load a template which would give them access to specific
> connectors, boxes and colors (for example: company
> colors) so it would be easy for them to create flow
> charts with a similar look.

> Thanks

1. saving in visio 2000 or visio 2002 under visio 4 format

hello
At home i have visio 4
at work i have visio 2000
i would like in visio 2000 to save at visio 4 format, to continue my job at
home, but visio 2000 does not give me the choice to save under visio 4
format.
Is there any add on or converter or filter to do this ?
a tip ?
may i solve this with upgrading to visio 2002 ?
thanks
benoit from bordeaux france

2. Clustering configuration

3. Visio Viewer? Viewing Visio files with out Visio?

4. Bug in FDISK after running Partition Magic

5. Convert Visio 2000 or Visio 5 Back to Visio 4.5

6. sound clips

7. Visio Visio 2000 Pro vs. MS Visio 2000 Pro

8. A bug in concrete.sty?

9. Visio Visio and Microsoft Visio 2000

10. VB & Visio = You cannot quit Visio because a program is handling an event from Visio.

11. Visio 5.0 opening Visio 2002 doc saved as Visio 5.0

12. replacing US style pins with Euro style pins on a module???