Document Stencil contents?

Post by Terry Pinnel » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

I'm puzzled about the contents of the Document Stencil. I just opened
a new drawing template (one I made, called Circuit) and it comes up as
intended with a stencil called Electronics, containing 57 shape
masters. Yet, even though I still have a completely blank drawing
page, if I use Window/Show Document Stencil, I see it contains no
fewer than 190 shapes. At first sight these seem to include just about
every shape I've ever used/made/edited/deleted.

What is the purpose of this please? As these seem to responsible for
odd behaviour (e.g. my separate post 'Master colour changes when
placed'), I'm tempted to get rid of most of them. Is that OK? For
instance can I delete all but those in my Electronics stencil? If so,
have I got to laboriously inspect each one to find these 133 masters,
as they are not in any particular sequence as far as I can see?

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Document Stencil contents?

Post by Graham Wideman, MV » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Terry:

When Visio makes a new drawing from a template it simply copies the
template (vst) file. If that file contains 190 masters, that's what the
new drawing will start with.

Prior to deployment (even deployment to yourself :-), you should delete
all unneeded masters and styles from the template to avoid this.

Graham

--
-----------------------------------
Graham Wideman

(Remove the obvious to email me)
-----------------------------------

Document Stencil contents?

Post by Terry Pinnel » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Terry:

>When Visio makes a new drawing from a template it simply copies the
>template (vst) file. If that file contains 190 masters, that's what the
>new drawing will start with.

>Prior to deployment (even deployment to yourself :-), you should delete
>all unneeded masters and styles from the template to avoid this.

>Graham

Thanks. I've subsequently made a point of deleting everything in each
Doc Stencil, including newly-designed templates, with a significant
reduction in saved file size. Don't see what practical value the Doc
Stencil can have for me. I understand the 'change it once' facility it
offers. But so far I've been able to make the instance changes I need
with the normal Format/Style or Format/Style/Definition commands (or
the local formatting commands/tools). Presumably it becomes useful for
more complex changes involving Smartshapes with clever behaviour, such
as automatically resizing a box depending on its text.

Terry, West Sussex, UK

1. Stencils and Documents

Good day,

I require the assistance, in the area of loading stencils
when you open a .VSD file not a .VST file.
I know stenicls associated to a template will load with no
problem, but I wish to load the Stencils again after
closeing of file, and being saved as a .VSD

I'm using Visio 2002 Prof.
Please respond to my work address, which is

Thank you in advance

Stephen Hanson
Applications Programmer
Prodomax Automation Inc.

2. Information

3. Release Contents Documents Format

4. Wavy Apple 16-inch monitor

5. Spectrum Comparisons, bad specs?

6. background document + foreground document to one pdf document

7. namespaces, friend functions

8. PDF Documents - Is it possible to cross link documents and get back to the source document

9. Reading content of PDF form saved in a PDF document

10. How do I generate a table of contents(TOC) for a visio document?

11. SR and Document Content Macro Attributes

12. Total Document or Content Managment software needed