040 Board for Falcon?

Post by Christian Mittendo » Thu, 01 Dec 1994 02:05:00

Hi!

In the november issue of german ST-Magazin (Page 14) a 68040 accelerator
board for the Falcon is said to be shown on the proTOS-Show last weekend.
The board is manufactured by an american company called "best electronics".
Does anybody have information about this board? Was that board on the show
or does it have the same problems(?) as the Afterburner?

And what is the Afterburner doing? Last spring I ordered information from
Overscan/Berlin and for 2 or 3 month I got lots of papers about all their
products - but no information about my main interest. Then the papers
stopped and even the advertising was stopped. Some rumours (?) said that
the Afterburner was sent to Sunnyvale to be checked by ATARI. That was the
last information I got. Are there any new information?

Could we Falcon owners speed up our beloved bird by an accelerator board to
040 or do we have get a Medusa?

Greetings,
Christian

+++

Fido: 2:203/202.11

040 Board for Falcon?

Post by Hendrik Myli » Sat, 03 Dec 1994 02:03:58

Hi!

Quote:>In the november issue of german ST-Magazin (Page 14) a 68040 accelerator
>board for the Falcon is said to be shown on the proTOS-Show last weekend.
>The board is manufactured by an american company called "best electronics".

Best Electronics were in Hennef that weekend. I've talked to the developer
(Bret Korda) and he told me a Falcon with a running Barrakuda will be shwon
at the UK-shows. The board is expected to be in shops around X-mas for 1k US$.

The Barrakuda comes with some extra electronics for grafix and DSP
acceleration as well. And it uses 32-bit wide Flash-ROM's with one waitstate.
So a patched TOS can easily be loaded into the ROM's as TOS 4.0x is not
040-ready.

Bret told me about another project he is working on: a 68060. But this in
_very_ (emphasize very) early stages. It should come with PCI-bus and
Fast-SCSI-II.

Quote:>And what is the Afterburner doing? Last spring I ordered information from
>Overscan/Berlin and for 2 or 3 month I got lots of papers about all their

Well, as far as I'm into this matter I would not wait for the Afterburner any
longer. IMO it was a dead born child in the first place.

Quote:>Could we Falcon owners speed up our beloved bird by an accelerator board to
>040 or do we have get a Medusa?

IMO get a decent 040-MAC and MagicMAC. Could someone fill me in on the various
PowerBooks available?

--
/Hendr!K/

              _FonNet:_ 49:5221.855545  _FaxNet:_ 49:5221.855545
            _SnailNet:_ Im Bramschenkamp 6 / D-32049 Herford / Germany / Earth
              _PGPNet:_ On request only!

040 Board for Falcon?

Post by Pekka Saarin » Sat, 03 Dec 1994 19:43:34

>>Could we Falcon owners speed up our beloved bird by an accelerator board to
>>040 or do we have get a Medusa?

>IMO get a decent 040-MAC and MagicMAC. Could someone fill me in on the various
>PowerBooks available?

The Mac is not any solution for Falcon users - most of Falcons are in
D2D-use, and a lot of it's appeal comes from the inbuilt DSP and ability
to play 16 channels of audio without external cards. Not to mention
DSP-graphics (eg. displays 0.5 Mb GIF:s in 7 seconds!).

There's no Mac that can do that kind of Audio with MagicMAC, or even
with System 7.

It's better to keep waiting for the C-LAB's audio-Falcon...

Best Regards,

----Pekka Saarinen

Member of the  Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra  (Playin' the Bass!)
Falcon030/16MbRAM/FPU/ScreenwonderPro/MAG17"Multisync/FDI/Steinbergs
CubaseAudioForFalcon(CAF)2.02/LotsOfMidistuff/200YearsOldBass/Beer!!
PfretzschnerBow/AnOldWolksvagenGolf/BigBedWithFuton/&LivesInHelsinki

040 Board for Falcon?

Post by Tim Seufe » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 13:07:23

> The Mac is not any solution for Falcon users - most of Falcons are in
> D2D-use, and a lot of it's appeal comes from the inbuilt DSP and ability
> to play 16 channels of audio without external cards.

Hmmm... lessee, my Mac seems to have a 55 MHz DSP on the motherboard.  Oh,
and it happens to have 16-bit 48 KHz sound digitizing and playback too.
Multiple channel playback?  No problem, directly supported by the OS
(which is not the case on the Falcon - you have to make your own
routines!).

Quote:> Not to mention
> DSP-graphics (eg. displays 0.5 Mb GIF:s in 7 seconds!).

Ooooh!  My computer, without using anything other than its 68040 (running
at 32 MHz), displays a 530 KB GIF in about 7 seconds too!

Quote:> There's no Mac that can do that kind of Audio with MagicMAC, or even
> with System 7.

> It's better to keep waiting for the C-LAB's audio-Falcon...

It's best not to bury one's head in the sand.

| Do the environment a favor.  Use goat-flavored floppy disks. |
| Think about it, won't you?  Thank you.                       |

040 Board for Falcon?

Post by Johan Klocka » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 20:22:34

>> Not to mention
>> DSP-graphics (eg. displays 0.5 Mb GIF:s in 7 seconds!).

TurboGIF 1.3 is _not_ using the DSP!
I don't know why everyone seems to believe that.

Quote:>Ooooh!  My computer, without using anything other than its 68040 (running
>at 32 MHz), displays a 530 KB GIF in about 7 seconds too!

And my computer with a 16MHz '030 on a 16 bit bus (yes, a Falcon030) can
display a 500kbyte GIF in 7 seconds as well, using only the '030.
You really should get a better GIF viewer!

MGIF 4.4 loads GIFs slightly faster than TurboGIF 1.3 (very slightly) but
displays them three times as quick. It's all a matter of smart coding.
A GIF viewer that used the DSP should be much faster, but I've not had
time to add that to MGIF yet.
--

     of Technology      |  .signatures  |  Address:  Johan Klockars
                        | so hard to do |            Foreningsgatan 32/408
   Gothenburg, Sweden   |     well?     |            411 27 Gothenburg, SWEDEN

040 Board for Falcon?

Post by Pekka Saarin » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 06:04:53

>> The Mac is not any solution for Falcon users - most of Falcons are in
>> D2D-use, and a lot of it's appeal comes from the inbuilt DSP and ability
>> to play 16 channels of audio without external cards.

>Hmmm... lessee, my Mac seems to have a 55 MHz DSP on the motherboard.  Oh,
>and it happens to have 16-bit 48 KHz sound digitizing and playback too.
>Multiple channel playback?  No problem, directly supported by the OS
>(which is not the case on the Falcon - you have to make your own
>routines!).

Yeah, I wonder why all Pro-sequencer/audio progs need Digidesign
cards when you want to use them on a Mac?
It's funny, I haven't programmed any routines ever, and here I am
running 16 tracks of audio combined with 128 tracks of Midi ??!!
Poltergeist?

Quote:>> Not to mention
>> DSP-graphics (eg. displays 0.5 Mb GIF:s in 7 seconds!).

>Ooooh!  My computer, without using anything other than its 68040 (running
>at 32 MHz), displays a 530 KB GIF in about 7 seconds too!

Aaah! As it seemed the prog I have does *not* use the
DSP (my Falcon is 16 Mhz 030)...
So you get a second faster with 16 more Mhz:s and a 040? I hope you paid
less for your Mac that I paid for my Falcon :-)

Post by Tim Seufe » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 06:18:28

> >Ooooh!  My computer, without using anything other than its 68040 (running
> >at 32 MHz), displays a 530 KB GIF in about 7 seconds too!

> And my computer with a 16MHz '030 on a 16 bit bus (yes, a Falcon030) can
> display a 500kbyte GIF in 7 seconds as well, using only the '030.
> You really should get a better GIF viewer!

Yep, I should.  The viewer I was using was GIFconverter.  I tried the same
picture with QuickGIF 1.0, which opened it in about 2.5 seconds.
Unfortunately, I hate the interface for QuickGIF - it has a really strange
file open dialog box that behaves in a very confusing manner.

Post by Tim Seufe » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 06:24:48

> >Ooooh!  My computer, without using anything other than its 68040 (running
> >at 32 MHz), displays a 530 KB GIF in about 7 seconds too!

> Aaah! As it seemed the prog I have does *not* use the
> DSP (my Falcon is 16 Mhz 030)...
> So you get a second faster with 16 more Mhz:s and a 040? I hope you paid
> less for your Mac that I paid for my Falcon :-)

Actually, see the previous message.  I just tested the GIF viewer I
normally use.  Another one, despite the programmer's inability to create a
decent interface, opened the same GIF in 2.5 seconds.

I bought the 660AV when I discovered it was about $500 more than the
Falcon, and gave me a video digitizer, a faster CPU and DSP, actual uses
for the DSP (it comes with voice recognition, and can also be a fax/modem
if you buy the $100 phone line interface pod), better video modes, etc.
They're not in production any more, but for a price a bit lower than what
I paid for the 660AV almost a year ago, you can now get a Power Mac 6100
(PowerPC 601 at 60 MHz).

| Do the environment a favor.  Use goat-flavored floppy disks. |
| Think about it, won't you?  Thank you.                       |

040 Board for Falcon?

Post by Sanjay Park » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 11:16:24

Quote:

>>> The Mac is not any solution for Falcon users - most of Falcons are in
>>> D2D-use, and a lot of it's appeal comes from the inbuilt DSP and ability
>>> to play 16 channels of audio without external cards.

>>Hmmm... lessee, my Mac seems to have a 55 MHz DSP on the motherboard.  Oh,
>>and it happens to have 16-bit 48 KHz sound digitizing and playback too.
>>Multiple channel playback?  No problem, directly supported by the OS
>>(which is not the case on the Falcon - you have to make your own
>>routines!).

Yes, your Mac is cool.  I assume you have a Quadra 660AV or 840AV.  These
have the built in DSPs.  Without any hardware cards, you can get up to 6
and 8 digital tracks with the Deck 2.0 sequencing/recording program.
That's cool.  Remember, though, that Atari created the Falcon with the pro
musician in mind.  Apple could care less about MIDI implementation and
recording specs.  A few points to consider:

1)  The Falcon can do 16 tracks digital stereo with Cubase Audio.  Total
system price would be under $2200 list including 4MB/85 and SVGA monitor.

2)  16 tracks on PC clones or Macs will require Soundtools hardware.  For
the Mac, 16 tracks will cost close to $15,000.  You will, of course, have
an awe-inspiring, top of the line setup, however.

3)  A major complaint of prospective 840AV buyers for digital recording is
Apples implementation of some weak A/D convertors.  There is no simple way
to bypass these, and the result is a rather low S/N ratio (78db?).  This is
not aweful, and will do for the hobbysit . . .

But, if you want some serious recording for a very attractive price . . .
you must get a Falcon, and Cubase Audio.  I also think E-Magic is working
on a Multitrack digital recording package for the Falcon . . .

. . . correct me if I am off on any points.

040 Board for Falcon?

Post by Tim Seufe » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 15:30:24

> Yes, your Mac is cool.  I assume you have a Quadra 660AV or 840AV.  These
> have the built in DSPs.

660AV.  When I bought it, the 840AV was way too expensive, but the 660 was
very affordable.

Quote:>  Without any hardware cards, you can get up to 6
> and 8 digital tracks with the Deck 2.0 sequencing/recording program.
> That's cool.  Remember, though, that Atari created the Falcon with the pro
> musician in mind.  Apple could care less about MIDI implementation and
> recording specs.  A few points to consider:

Apple does seem to have a problem with supporting MIDI.  One of the main
problems is they lack sufficient serial ports - Macs come with two, but
they really need about 4.

Quote:> 1)  The Falcon can do 16 tracks digital stereo with Cubase Audio.  Total
> system price would be under $2200 list including 4MB/85 and SVGA monitor.

85 MB is nothing.  If you're doing digital audio editing, you can forget
the wimpy HD Atari puts in the Falcon.

Quote:> 2)  16 tracks on PC clones or Macs will require Soundtools hardware.  For
> the Mac, 16 tracks will cost close to $15,000.  You will, of course, have
> an awe-inspiring, top of the line setup, however.

16-track recording isn't possible with the base Falcon hardware, either.
There is only one stereo codec in the Falcon.

Quote:> 3)  A major complaint of prospective 840AV buyers for digital recording is
> Apples implementation of some weak A/D convertors.  There is no simple way
> to bypass these, and the result is a rather low S/N ratio (78db?).  This is
> not aweful, and will do for the hobbysit . . .

As far as I know, the Falcon has this problem too - that the built-in
codec is not very good at all.  For both machines, it appears that pro
quality work requires add-on A/D converters, which are quite expensive.

Quote:> But, if you want some serious recording for a very attractive price . . .
> you must get a Falcon, and Cubase Audio.  I also think E-Magic is working
> on a Multitrack digital recording package for the Falcon . . .

I think one of the problems with the Falcon is that it is a hobbyist
computer with professional aspirations.  The codec isn't up to pro specs,
etc., but the DSP sound system is.  It has built-in MIDI ports, but nearly
no OS support for them.  (There is also not really enough OS support for
digital sound.)  It comes with a ridiculously small hard drive in an
inconvenient form factor, so that it's more expensive to add storage than
it should be.  (If you buy a replacement 2.5" HD, it's more expensive than
3.5" storage.  If you buy an external drive, you get the overhead of a
case/PS and ACSI adapter.)

The basic problem is that Atari had to design it for the hobbyist market,
so that they could sell units to their few remaining devotees, but also
try for the pro sound market.  I don't think they ended up with a good
compromise - it's overpriced for what you get as a hobbyist, and for
whatever reason, it has definitely failed to capture the hearts of the
entire music industry, as has been evidenced by the ever-slipping market
share of Atari in the music world.

Post by Pekka Saarin » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 19:47:58

>MGIF 4.4 loads GIFs slightly faster than TurboGIF 1.3 (very slightly) but
>displays them three times as quick. It's all a matter of smart coding.
>A GIF viewer that used the DSP should be much faster, but I've not had
>time to add that to MGIF yet.

You must have done something revolutionary to you lates updates. I just got
MGIF 4.2B after seeing your praises a lot, and with that I discovered:

It does not display any colours :-(
It can not change resolution and back to original :-(
I does not have a virtual screen (so mostly you seen only part of the pic,
   if you don't do zooming (too many keystrokes for that!)

Times (the time from dropping a picture over the program to the moment
that picture is fully drawn to the screen):

   ( NAOMI.GIF 638*819 256 colours 409715 bytes )

   MGIF 4.2B    (true colour mode, displays
                 pics in interlaced
                 grey shades)                 25 sec.
                (256 colour mode, displ.
                 in grays)                    55 sec.
   TURBOGIF 1.3 (all resolutions, as it can
                change to VGA/256 and back)    7 sec.
   GEMVIEW 3.08 (256 colour mode, with all
                 shareware delays and module
                 colour map)                  43 sec.

Not to mention that the full code of TurboGIF is 2867 bytes!!

So, does MGIF 4.4 has colours, resolution swap, virtual screen,
speed etc.? Is it available on ftp?

Post by Johan Klocka » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 21:12:14

>>MGIF 4.4 loads GIFs slightly faster than TurboGIF 1.3 (very slightly) but
>>displays them three times as quick. It's all a matter of smart coding.
>>A GIF viewer that used the DSP should be much faster, but I've not had
>>time to add that to MGIF yet.

>You must have done something revolutionary to you lates updates. I just got

I sure have...  ;-)
(My history file is twice as long now for example.)

Quote:>MGIF 4.2B after seeing your praises a lot, and with that I discovered:
>It does not display any colours :-(

That was added to MGIF 4.3 about 15 months ago.

Quote:>It can not change resolution and back to original :-(

MGIF 4.4 never changes the resolution. If you run it from a 1008x608x8bit
or 480x480x16bit mode for example, your pictures will be displayed in that
mode.

Quote:>I does not have a virtual screen (so mostly you seen only part of the pic,
>   if you don't do zooming (too many keystrokes for that!)

I've not added any kind of virtual screen support, since MGIF 4.4 works
quite nicely with for example the virtual screen support in BlowUP030.
Some people seem to want it, though, so I guess I'll add it in some form
eventually.

Quote:>Times (the time from dropping a picture over the program to the moment
>that picture is fully drawn to the screen):

>   ( NAOMI.GIF 638*819 256 colours 409715 bytes )

>   MGIF 4.2B    (true colour mode, displays
>                 pics in interlaced
>                 grey shades)                 25 sec.
>                (256 colour mode, displ.
>                 in grays)                    55 sec.

But, as you say, this is version 4.2.  ;-)

Quote:>Not to mention that the full code of TurboGIF is 2867 bytes!!

MGIF 4.4 is more like 220kbyte right now, but it can do a bit more...
I'm thinking of doing a 'lite' version, but with all the colour mode
support it would probably be over 30kbyte anyway.

Quote:>So, does MGIF 4.4 has colours, resolution swap, virtual screen,

MGIF 4.4 can display in any non-graphics card mode on a ST, TT or Falcon.
It's not primarily ment as a viewer and, thus, does not change the
resolution and does not implement its own virtual screen (so far).

Quote:>speed etc.? Is it available on ftp?

Speed of GIF loading beats everything else right now, but the JPEG, Targa,
PPM and PI? loading (and GIF, Targa and PPM saving) uses the code from the
IJG (the cjpeg djpeg people) library and is not that impressive.
Drawing speed is very good for some modes (like 256 colours), but not that
impressive for other (flickering monochrome). Everything is _much_ faster
than MGIF 4.2.

Regarding availability, I never seem to get around to doing a proper
release of this program. Version 4.4 has been in beta for more than a
year now, but I always find more interesting things to add or change etc.

Every time I mention MGIF here, I also say that anyone interested can
email me, but perhaps it's time to do something a bit more efficient:

- Anyone who wants to try out MGIF 4.4beta can fetch the 0927 version
  from my ftp site, rand.thn.htu.se. All accesses are logged on this site.
  There are of course newer versions than this, but a couple of rather
  major changes to the GUI have been made since then, which are not yet
  entirely operational.

- If you fetch the program, please let me know by email, so I can contact
  you when new features are added.

- All questions, comments, suggestions, bug reports etc are very welcome.
  MGIF, especially in its 0927 form is not a very simple program to
  understand and use. The included documentation is not complete and
  probably wrong on a couple of issues.
  The comments.txt file answers some common questions.

  ***** MGIF 4.4beta should not be made available from any other     *****
  ***** place besides my ftp site, since I want to have some control *****
  ***** over what is technically a beta release.                     *****

--

Post by Pekka Saarin » Tue, 06 Dec 1994 03:06:02

>> 2)  16 tracks on PC clones or Macs will require Soundtools hardware.  For
>> the Mac, 16 tracks will cost close to $15,000.  You will, of course, have
>> an awe-inspiring, top of the line setup, however.

>16-track recording isn't possible with the base Falcon hardware, either.
>There is only one stereo codec in the Falcon.

True, there's only 2 input channels, but you could always get an ADAT for
multi-recording and dump the stuff to Cubase for editing.

Quote:>> 3)  A major complaint of prospective 840AV buyers for digital recording is
>> Apples implementation of some weak A/D convertors.  There is no simple way
>> to bypass these, and the result is a rather low S/N ratio (78db?).  This is
>> not aweful, and will do for the hobbysit . . .

>As far as I know, the Falcon has this problem too - that the built-in
>codec is not very good at all.  For both machines, it appears that pro
>quality work requires add-on A/D converters, which are quite expensive.

Yes, recording via a DAT/SPDIF-interface gives pro results, but DAT's are
needed anyway for a pro setup, and they are much cheaper that separate
converters.

Quote:>I think one of the problems with the Falcon is that it is a hobbyist
>computer with professional aspirations.  The codec isn't up to pro specs,
>etc., but the DSP sound system is.  It has built-in MIDI ports, but nearly
>no OS support for them.  (There is also not really enough OS support for
>digital sound.)

Who need OS anyway. For most of the people it's a program that launches
applications. Eg. Cubase Audio has it's own operatig system inside,
and it's a part of the reason it's so powerful inside a 16Mzh Machine.
In Mac's and PC's OS tries to govern everything, so programmers can't
get too creative.

Quote:>It comes with a ridiculously small hard drive in an
>inconvenient form factor, so that it's more expensive to add storage than
>it should be.  (If you buy a replacement 2.5" HD, it's more expensive than
>3.5" storage.  If you buy an external drive, you get the overhead of a
>case/PS and ACSI adapter.)

I bought my Falcon with no internal drive at all, and SCSI cases with power
supplys are quite cheap nowadays. No adapters are needed for external
SCSI connection, just plug and pray.

Quote:>The basic problem is that Atari had to design it for the hobbyist market,
>so that they could sell units to their few remaining devotees, but also
>try for the pro sound market.  I don't think they ended up with a good
>compromise - it's overpriced for what you get as a hobbyist, and for
>whatever reason, it has definitely failed to capture the hearts of the
>entire music industry, as has been evidenced by the ever-slipping market
>share of Atari in the music world.

Define "professional" and "hobbyist"? These days with this new
technology the terms are getting vague.

The music industry uses a bit more expensive systems anyway ('cos
they have all the money they need), Falcon is a good solution for
all composing musicians and bands, who want to do Master-tapes in
their homes. I'm a professional musician, and I require the best
audio quality (Falcon with a DAT/SPDIF gives enough quality for me),
and I know that Falcon is utilized in many studios here in Finland.

Falcon's price/quality factor when selecting a home studio 2D2/Midi-
system is excellent, and you can do 95% of what you can do with a
Digidesign system, and in some areas more (sequencer, notation,
sampler mode, realtime effects etc.).

What is missing in Falcon are balanced connectors
and more outputs, but if you get an S/PDIF interface and 8-channel
D/A expander (they are together 1000.- DM) you have a very pro
system with 1/3rd of the price of a Digidesign system.
You can also get a rack-case with better connectors for stage work.

There are many musicians here in Finland who has got this setup
instead of a Mac- or PC-based setup, and there are no Atari-dealers
or magazines at all in this country.

Best Regards,

----Pekka Saarinen

Member of the  Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra  (Playin' the Bass!)
Falcon030/16MbRAM/FPU/ScreenwonderPro/MAG17"Multisync/FDI/Steinbergs
CubaseAudioForFalcon(CAF)2.02/LotsOfMidistuff/200YearsOldBass/Beer!!
PfretzschnerBow/AnOldWolksvagenGolf/BigBedWithFuton/&LivesInHelsinki

1. FALCON/'040 BOARD

my

  like SUITCASE and the whole twerps in red braces and glasses image
  just puts me off. Anyway ATARI has always ensured that I earn my daily
  bread for a lot less than a MAC ( even the POWERPC ) will do. However
  my beliefs are open for change.

 * Origin: The Tavern BBS 44-(0)81-445-6514 24 Hours (2:254/108)

2. Analog-Digital Conversion

3. Silliness (was: Re: Falcon 040 Board)

4. Initialization-files: (custom-set-variable ...)

5. Falcon/'040 board

6. Compatibility questions.

7. C-Lab Falcon MK-X and AfterBurner 040

8. Misconception with "Include" component

9. FA: Falcon 040 (Afterburner + Desktopper)

10. FS: Falcon 040 system (Half price)

11. A Basic Falcon 030 or 040

12. 040 Accelerators (Was: Magic for Falcon)

13. 040 accelerators (was: magic for falcon)