Atari DOS to MS DOS file conversion

Post by Jeff Chambe » Sun, 28 Mar 1993 00:08:42

I've got a neighbor that has a whole library of old ATARI games that he'd
like to run on his 286 machine.  These run under the ancient and now defunct
ATARI DOS 3.0 O/S, 8-bit graphics (I think). I told him that I had never heard
of a file conversion utility for ATARI DOS to MS DOS, but assured him that
I'd post and see if anyone out in netland may know of such a utility.

Thanks.

Post by anis » Sun, 28 Mar 1993 01:38:39

>I've got a neighbor that has a whole library of old ATARI games that he'd
>like to run on his 286 machine.  These run under the ancient and now defunct
>ATARI DOS 3.0 O/S, 8-bit graphics (I think). I told him that I had never heard
>of a file conversion utility for ATARI DOS to MS DOS, but assured him that
>I'd post and see if anyone out in netland may know of such a utility.

>Thanks.

   I don't think what your friend wants is possible (read on for exception).
You can COPY files from an Atari 8-bit system to a DOS-based system
(using a null modem, or ATARIO if the disk format is handled).

   However, you cannot (to my knowledge) simply covert an executable
file of one system to an executable file for use on another type
of system.  DOS-based systems and Atari 8-bits are totally different
entities, internally and externally.  It would be like trying to
play a cassette tape on a CD-player - things aren't compatible.

   The *only* way that he could run Atari 8-bit stuff on a DOS-system
is *if* there is an Atari 8-bit emulator for the IBM (Darek?). If not,
then ya'd probably need an 8-bit system to run the games (check out
comp.sys.atari.8bit I think).  Even if an emulator existed, to handle
most games it would have to be *very* complete...

                                Robert Anisko

1. Transfer of text files between ST and MS DOS

I need info on the possibility to read/write ST disks on a MS DOS
computer or vice versa. Any suggestions on this matter will be
appreciated, especially on software that could do the trick.

I want to be able to send 3.5" diskettes with text files (ASCII format) to my
friend. He has an ST computer, I have access only to an IBM compatible.
Communication through the modem is not feasible in our case.

newsgroup.

Tomek Dluzniewski.

2. 19" Sun color monitors: $150 all four.

3. Reading Sparta DOS and regular Atari DOS

4. Programing application that show system time

5. DOS 2.0S or DOS 2.5 source code ?

6. Theme preview

7. Could Someone Send Me A Copy of DOS 2.0 and/or DOS 2.5?

8. Courier I Modem Internal

9. DOS 3 and DOS 4

10. DOS III to DOS 2.x

11. RS232 DOS CONSOLE - LOOKING FOR DOS SOURCE

12. DOS 2.5 vs. DOS 3.0

13. DOS 3 --> DOS 2 ????