3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Post by r.. » Sun, 24 Feb 1991 13:07:10

=>Hello ;-)
=>
=>        I have heard that it could be done, and I would like to do so.  Is
=>there a possible way to set-up a 3.5" disk drive for an Atari 8-bit?  I
=>have an 800xl, and would like to try this.
=>
=>        What all would I need, and could someone quote me a price?
=>
   There exists a hack to modify an Atary XF551 5.25" drive to use a
3.5". For the most part I understand it is fairly simple, but it does
require a new EPROM to use the whole disk. I have a vendor & price,
but they are at home. :-(

=>Thank you for any response.
=>
=>        I am also looking for a Hard Drive for the 8-bit... (I know...
=>"Why???")  I think that it might beneat to do this... kinda max-out mu
=>8-bit and make it a novelty!
=>
   Easiest way is to get a Black Box and a SCSI drive. If you can
afford novelty, more power to you. :-)

=>**** Any opinions are that of the author, and NOT of AT&T ****

   Now why would AT&T be interested in Atari 8-bit hacks? :-)

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--

   _o_                      ----------------------                        _o_
 [|o o|]   Two CPU's are better than one; N CPU's would be real nice.   [|o o|]

3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Post by David D. De » Sun, 24 Feb 1991 08:53:54

Hello ;-)

        I have heard that it could be done, and I would like to do so.  Is
there a possible way to set-up a 3.5" disk drive for an Atari 8-bit?  I
have an 800xl, and would like to try this.

        What all would I need, and could someone quote me a price?

Thank you for any response.

        I am also looking for a Hard Drive for the 8-bit... (I know...
"Why???")  I think that it might beneat to do this... kinda max-out mu
8-bit and make it a novelty!

David D. Dean, President       "Living in a 3-D world."
Explorer Post 891
AT&T Bell Laboratories          Columbus, Ohio

**** Any opinions are that of the author, and NOT of AT&T ****

3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Post by Scott S Pari » Sun, 24 Feb 1991 14:50:39

Quote:>        I have heard that it could be done, and I would like to do so.  Is
>there a possible way to set-up a 3.5" disk drive for an Atari 8-bit?  I
>have an 800xl, and would like to try this.
>        What all would I need, and could someone quote me a price?

The vendor is:

Innovative Concepts (I.C.)
31172 Shawn Drive
Warren, MI 48093 USA

Phone: (313) 293-0730
BBS: (313) 978-1685
GEnie: I.C.
CompuServe: 76004,1764

As for the current price, I don't know the kit was going for around $40 about
8-9 months ago.  I'm sure it hasn't changed.

As for the hard drive:  Read the previous post by Gary Duzan(?).

3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Post by David D. De » Mon, 25 Feb 1991 02:24:53

>    There exists a hack to modify an Atary XF551 5.25" drive to use a
> 3.5". For the most part I understand it is fairly simple, but it does
> require a new EPROM to use the whole disk. I have a vendor & price,
> but they are at home. :-(

> =>        I am also looking for a Hard Drive for the 8-bit... (I know...
> =>"Why???")  I think that it might beneat to do this... kinda max-out mu
> =>8-bit and make it a novelty!
> =>
>    Easiest way is to get a Black Box and a SCSI drive. If you can
> afford novelty, more power to you. :-)

> =>**** Any opinions are that of the author, and NOT of AT&T ****

>    Now why would AT&T be interested in Atari 8-bit hacks? :-)

Thanks for the help!  I have recieved the address for the 3.5" drive, and
will be checking up into it.  The Black Box and SCSI drive might have to
hold off... I can't seem to locate any dealer with them.

And AT&T probably FORGOT about the Atari 8-bit!  :-)

David D. Dean, President       "Living in a 3-D world."
Explorer Post 891
AT&T Bell Laboratories          Columbus, Ohio

**** Any opinions are that of the author, and NOT of AT&T ****

3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Thanks for all the help!  I am going to check into this right away!

Post by Craig Rothm » Tue, 26 Feb 1991 15:00:45

Quote:>         I have heard that it could be done, and I would like to do so.  Is
> there a possible way to set-up a 3.5" disk drive for an Atari 8-bit?  I
> have an 800xl, and would like to try this.
>         What all would I need, and could someone quote me a price?

>         I am also looking for a Hard Drive for the 8-bit... (I know...
> "Why???")  I think that it might beneat to do this... kinda max-out mu
> 8-bit and make it a novelty!

3.5"-- the way to get one of these is to somehow obtain a costly
disk drive known as the xf551. This was made by atari and its
double sided/double density. No one I know of will part with theirs,
so good luck!  Once you get one of these, youll need to buy a 3.5 mech and
have someone know knows how to mount it, put it in. Im told its not
that hard to do. (ive never done it. I dont know!).
I dont know if theres a 3.5" made by another company, but ive heard of
peripherals that allow IBM PC drives to be connected. Im sure someone
here could write more.
As for a hard drive, youll be opening pandoras box, but you could
get one hooked up.
Youd need either a black box, or MIO.
Then youd need wires.. (from ICD)
Then youd need the drive.. and the appropriate controller board.
Then a case and power supply.
Ive spent a considerable amount of time obtaining this stuff.
Its not easy.. The controller boards are hard to get.
I found a supplier though, look at the old messages Ive posted here about
it, or send me email and ill give you more info. Ive already posted it
and i dont have it handy right now.
The best thing to do is to call ICD, They have the stuff youll need
as a kit of some sort. IM told its expensive and a rip off, but its
very very hassle free.
-craig

3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Post by Craig Rothm » Tue, 26 Feb 1991 15:07:14

Quote:> Thanks for all the help!  I am going to check into this right away!

Let me know what you find out about the xf551 mod.
Ive got one of the *s and its messed up.
IT wont do double sided double density, just single sided single density.
ITs still useful, but if i replaced the mech with a 3.5" it would
be a great thing to have. Ive held off because it would be too costly
for the drive mech, and I didnt have directions about how to do it.
If its just a mere $40 I want it!!!!
let me know what it costs and how difficult it is to do it.
-craig

3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Post by Bill Marc » Tue, 26 Feb 1991 16:25:10

>> Thanks for all the help!  I am going to check into this right away!
>Let me know what you find out about the xf551 mod.
>Ive got one of the *s and its messed up.
>IT wont do double sided double density, just single sided single density.

What DOS are you using?  Atari sold a lot of XF551s with DOS 2.5, which
treated the drive as if it were just a 1050.  The rest were sold with DOS XE,
which recognizes the drive as DSDD, but is incompatible with a lot
of other programs.  Either Mydos, Spartados, or Spartados-X will work with
the 551 in DSDD mode.

>ITs still useful, but if i replaced the mech with a 3.5" it would
>be a great thing to have. Ive held off because it would be too costly
>for the drive mech, and I didnt have directions about how to do it.
>If its just a mere $40 I want it!!!!
>let me know what it costs and how difficult it is to do it.
>-craig

You need more than just the 3.5 inch drive mechanism.  You also need a new
ROM for the drive.  Upgrade kits are available from Innovative Concepts in
Michigan, or from CSS (who also make the Black Box.)  CSS has a new
deluxe upgrade that lets you use the 5.25 and 3.5 inch drives as different
drive numbers, and they claim it can even read and write IBM or ST disks.
The price is something like $139.95, including 3.5 inch drive.  (Not sure
if that's the exact price--check their ad in STart.)

Bill Marcum

Compuserve:72750,476
Genie:B.MARCUM

3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Post by Craig Rothm » Thu, 28 Feb 1991 17:05:57

> What DOS are you using?  Atari sold a lot of XF551s with DOS 2.5, which
> treated the drive as if it were just a 1050.  The rest were sold with DOS XE,
> which recognizes the drive as DSDD, but is incompatible with a lot
> of other programs.  Either Mydos, Spartados, or Spartados-X will work with
> the 551 in DSDD mode.

I use Spartados, and I was using the correct format.
I had someone who owned a xf551 over here to check it out
and its the drive.
THe previous owner tinkered with it or something.
It wont do DD on either side.
I suspect upgrading the drive will solve it.

3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Post by Matthew Wilso » Sat, 02 Mar 1991 07:27:20

The Percom disk drive for my 8-bit has double sided/double density
ability as well.  I would definately appreciate any hints on attaching
a 3.5" drive to the disk controller.  Please post any response.

3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

Post by Mayleen G Snyd » Sat, 02 Mar 1991 11:43:27

To: Matthew Wilson
Subject: Re: 3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.8bit

Quote:>The Percom disk drive for my 8-bit has double sided/double density
>ability as well.  I would definately appreciate any hints on attaching
>a 3.5" drive to the disk controller.  Please post any response.

it should just go right on....need the righT connect but with SpartaDOS it should give you 720k per disk....but i
 have an ATR 8000 for my atari....it will handle 5-1/4 in single/double sided or density...(will not do dual density tho') it will handle 3.5 drives in the same...
 (720k max for a DS/DD 3.5 drive) if you or anyone is interested in buying send me some mail i will trade it for a 40 SCSI or ST-506 drive or $200...
(it includes everything to hook up a 3.5 720k drive and a 5-1/4 360k drive
 EXCEPT power supply for the floppys...(standard +5,+12 but i do have the connector to hook the 3.5 to the standard power connector)...
you can run CP/M on the ATR i can give you the name and number of the guy who
has the software to run CP/M on it...it also has a print and Serial port (i have the cable to hook up a standard modem to it...(i am currently using it now wit
a Supra modem and Kermit (for the Atari) and have used DeTerm,Express,a term prg i wrote in Action! and several others...) it does have ONE bad side....size...
it is as wide as my 1200xl and 2 1/2 inches high and about foot deep....)

(p.s. you can hook it up to a terminal and use it alone to run CP/M....)
(it will support up to 4 drives of any config.....)

1. non-standard 3.5" disk drive

I've just recently picked up a 3.5" disk drive (Sony MP-F52W-50, out
of an old HP 9122 dual drive "box").  I have the CSS XF551 conversion,
which should allow me to use this drive.  But it's not standard.  The
Sony expects power (+12, +5V) on the 34-pin cable, not four separate
pins.  So I wired it up correctly.  Now at least the drive spins up,
but I am unable to read, write, or format a disk.  I have the slide
switch in the right position (otherwise it doesn't even spin up on
power-up, or when I send a command to the XF551), and I'm only trying
to use DSDD (720K) disks.

Can anyone point me to schematics or documentation on this Sony unit?
Or maybe the standard 34-pin connector's pinout?

Thanks in advance!

--
Jeff Potter

2. Connect Neutrino and QNX 4 systems

3. How do you fix an atari 3.5" disk drive?

4. WTB: BBC Master in US.

5. Wanted : Atari St Disk Drive 3.5" 720kb

6. CD-R 2000, thoughts?

7. 720K 3.5" Disk Drive

8. \eqalign

9. How do you fix an atari 3.5" disk drive?

10. Wanted: 800K 3.5" disk drive(s)

11. 2.5" drives in 3.5" spaces

13. 3.5" High Density Disks?