Doom v0.21 available

Post by Patrice Mandi » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello everybody, a new version is available

News:
- Bug fixes
- 32 bits video support
- Zoom to fill the screen
- Video mode can be chosen
- BIOS keyboard routines for Atari clones

Now it should work on any Atari or compatible with a 320x200x8 bits mode
or higher.
Have fun!

--
                                 Patrice Mandin

Web:  http://www.multimania.com/pmandin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Doom v0.21 available

Post by Bram van Kerkh » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Hello everybody, a new version is available

>News:
>- Bug fixes
>- 32 bits video support
>- Zoom to fill the screen
>- Video mode can be chosen
>- BIOS keyboard routines for Atari clones

>Now it should work on any Atari or compatible with a 320x200x8 bits mode
>or higher.
>Have fun!

>--
>                                 Patrice Mandin

>Web:  http://www.multimania.com/pmandin

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

I have a lot of troubles finding/getting the proper *.wad files. Any
suggestions?
TNT Bram

Doom v0.21 available

Post by J WILKINSO » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

> I have a lot of troubles finding/getting the proper *.wad files. Any
> suggestions?

If you have STraTOS CD 4 from Atari Computing Magazine there is a version
of shareware Doom1 in the CD04\BEBOX\ directory. This is just a ZIP file
and has in it 'DOOM1.WAD' shareware Doom episode WAD file.

Failing that it should be on most ftp sites for PC, and hopefully in a ZIP
file...

Kind regards,

/|\ ATARI Falcon030 owner.

Doom v0.21 available

Post by J”rgen Nybe » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have a lot of troubles finding/getting the proper *.wad files. Any
>suggestions?
>TNT Bram
>.

Hi Bram

I could mail it to you, but keep in mind it's almost 2MB packed.
I just followed the link from Patrice homepage and downloaded it,
it's called shareware_doom_iwad.zip if I remember correctly.

Cheer's Jrgen

 Jrgen Nyberg  Milan 48Mb ram, 1033 Mb HD,16x CD, Naes, Mint 1.15, Nvdi 4.11
           SAK member 104 Surfing with Cab 2.6 and Newsie 0.94
             SAK= Svenska Atari Klubben (Swedish Atari Club)
            http://nyberg.atari.org/indexe.html

Doom v0.21 available

Post by Jo Even Skarstei » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Now it should work on any Atari or compatible with a 320x200x8 bits mode
> or higher.

I really don't like Doom much, but I just had too see how it would look
like on my Falcon/Afterburner/Nova. I'm impressed! :-) It looks really
good, and plays just like on a fast 486. I miss some music though, have
you thought about adding a midiplayer?

It's not perfect though, I would prefer if it locked the AES when running.
It would also be nice if it could switch to 320x240 on the Nova (or any
other graphics-card for that matter) by itself, and switch back when
exiting. I'm going to try and write a shell/wrapper that does this on
Saturday.

--

/*
** Jo Even Skarstein   http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~josk/

Doom v0.21 available

Post by John Thaan » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I don't get too many chances to read c.s.a.st anymore, but I've
seen these posts about doom and decided to give it a try.  I'm
having some serious trouble, though.  I apologize in advance if
this has all been covered before...

My machine is an almost-stock TT, TOS 3.06, 4 meg ST ram,
8 megs TT ram, 420 meg HD with lots of room.  No Magic, MiNT,
NVDI or other extensions, just plain old TOS.  Atari PTC1426
color monitor.

The initializations seem to go fine and the title screen
appears.  Every few seconds the top 1/3 of the screen disappears,
line-by-line, then returns.  Hitting ESC brings up the main menu,
after a long delay.  Using the arrow keys to make a selection
takes a -long- time.  When I hit the arrow, the little skull
cursor doesn't move for at least 5 seconds.  When the game
finally begins, I can't move - or maybe it's just so slow I can't
tell that I'm moving.  When I exit the program, the top third of
the display is garbled, but I can see bombs.  Usually two but
sometimes four.  I've played around with just about every
video and keyboard parameter, but the problem is always the same.
I've tried turning off all the AUTO programs and CPXs, but that
doesn't help.

Is there something I'm overlooking, or is my TT just too
underpowered?

If anybody can help, please also let me know by email because
I don't have much time for newsgroups.

Thanks!

"A better tomorrow takes your best today"

Doom v0.21 available

Post by Ekkehard Fles » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hallo Patrice!

PM>- Zoom to fill the screen

crashes during initialisation (after Keyboard) with exception #2 on my Milan

PM>- BIOS keyboard routines for Atari clones

works in Single-TOS, but is not very playable. Movement goes on as long as the
automatic key repeat works, so if you want to change direction while moving
forward, you have to release and press again the "cursor up" key.

Under MagiC, PMDoom won't stay the foreground application, so it won't get
input from the keyboard.

-devparm indicates 2 to 3, and up to 8 in complex situations.

mit freundlichem Gru? aus Bubenreuth

Ekkehard

Doom v0.21 available

Post by J WILKINSO » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

> Perhaps he's having the same problem I have? I find the files on ftp
> sites but after you unzip you find a pc installer and some strange ICE
> format?  I've downloaded several times from different sites and
> each time I get WADs in some format I cannot decompress.

Hmmm, that I hadn't really considered. As I said I got my DOOM.WAD
for my Falcon from the archive on STraTOS 4 CD, but if the original
poster needs it I've got a DOOM1.WAD iwad file on this Mac if you'd
like it emailed?! (thats SOME EMAIL!)

Kind regards,

/|\ ATARI Falcon030 owner.

Doom v0.21 available

Post by Patrice Mandi » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I miss some music though, have you thought about adding a midiplayer?

Yes, it is planned.

Quote:> It would also be nice if it could switch to 320x240 on the Nova (or
> any other graphics-card for that matter) by itself, and switch back
> when exiting. I'm going to try and write a shell/wrapper that does
> this on Saturday.

If you know how to switch video modes on Nova, maybe you could send me
informations or better: a source, so I can add it in futures versions.

--

Post by Jo Even Skarstei » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>> I miss some music though, have you thought about adding a midiplayer?
> Yes, it is planned.

:-) I have a Yamaha XG-card in my Falcon :-)

Quote:> If you know how to switch video modes on Nova, maybe you could send me
> informations or better: a source, so I can add it in futures versions.

I have the docs and libs for this, but the problem is that the lib is
PureC only :-/ If you want this stuff just send me a mail and I'll mail it
to you.

--

/*
** Jo Even Skarstein   http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~josk/
**
**   beer - maria mckee - atari falcon - babylon 5
*/

Doom v0.21 available

Post by Jo Even Skarstei » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> The initializations seem to go fine and the title screen
> appears.  Every few seconds the top 1/3 of the screen disappears,
> line-by-line, then returns.  Hitting ESC brings up the main menu,

This happens on my TT as well, with both TOS 3.06 and MiNT/N.AES.

--

/*
** Jo Even Skarstein   http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~josk/
**
**   beer - maria mckee - atari falcon - babylon 5
*/

Doom v0.21 available

Post by Erik Ha » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello everybody, a new version is available

> News:
> - Bug fixes
> - 32 bits video support

It works :-)

Quote:> - Zoom to fill the screen

This mode generates a buserror.

Nice work, it works better for every new version.

/Erik Hall

Doom v0.21 available

Post by J WILKINSO » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

> <snip>

Just reporting that v0.21 works flawlessly on my
Falcon030 32MHz 14MB (PowerUp2 accelerated) machine.
VDI option works only a fraction slower than the
XBIOS which is very good!

I have tried to crash it but thus far have failed!

Now for the DSP based version of the renderer!!

Keep up the good work!!

Kind regards,

/|\ ATARI Falcon030 owner.

Doom v0.21 available

Post by Nightow » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Hi there,

>> <snip>

>Just reporting that v0.21 works flawlessly on my
>Falcon030 32MHz 14MB (PowerUp2 accelerated) machine.
>VDI option works only a fraction slower than the
>XBIOS which is very good!

>Keep up the good work!!

I find it a bad thing that Doom works on my Hades. My son saw me playing
around with Doom and since then I must share my Hades with him:-))

TTYS
Martin
--
             ***** Greetings from Okami Newsreader *****
             **  On the seventh day He created Atari  **

                         ** ICQ 37138054 **
            But He uses a freeMiNT powered Hades 060 now
        UTSI: http://user.online.be/~ols04484/atari/prg-ind.htm
           Atari FTP-site: ftp://chapelie.rma.ac.be/atari/

Doom v0.21 available

Post by Brian Van TIlbo » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Just thought I would add to the positive comments.

But I am too busy playing Doom right now:-).

I just happen to have a few drinks to slow down my reaction time and I
don't notice the screen refresh rates.

Actually playable. Excellent work.

Later Brian.

Quote:>.

1. Doom v0.22 available

Hello everybody,
Here is a new version.

It only contains bugs corrections.

For those who never read the documentation:
'-videomode <n>' to choose a video mode for the Xbios, from the liste
displayed at start.
'-zoomscreen' to activate full screen mode.
 The 320x200 game screen is zoomed to fullfil the screen.

--
                                 Patrice Mandin

Web:  http://www.multimania.com/pmandin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Driver for 3C589 PCMCIA Available

3. Doom, Heretic, Hexen v0.23 available

4. plotting two sets of contours

5. Doom v0.20 available

6. What is .idx & .mbx

7. ExtenDOS Patch to v1.21 now available at HENSA

8. Question for Andrew

9. TeraDesk v1.21 available

10. PROFILE 2 v2.21 now available

11. Doom v0.13