It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by LORDTHANA.. » Tue, 24 May 1994 15:38:59

I just finished spending the better part of four hours finding, cleaning,
and setting up my 800XL in its new permanent home (the ba*t). All
said and done, the system is pretty kosher. Atari 800XL w/256K, function
keys, and cold-boot reset switch connected to: PR Connection, three
1050's (two w/US Doublers), 1010 tape drive (hey, it was there), 1020
plotter. And it WORKS! All of it! JOY!  :)

BUT...I have some things I need, and I haven't the foggiest idea where to
look or, indeed, if the stuff is still available. So, any responses to
this in mail would be appreciated.

I have an HP ThinkJet that I'd like to connect to the PC Connection.
Where might I find a printer cable, and are there any significant details
I need to know about this mating? (I have NO documentation for the
printer; there's a bank of DIP switches on the back, but I've never
touched them. The printer worked fine when it was connected to my 1040ST
with the DIP switches in the same position they are now.)

I'm under the impression that my 800XL can handle a maximum of 9600 baud
with the PR Connection, though a "Black Box" will enable me to go up to
19.6K baud. This is a correct assumption?

The "Black Box" will also enable me to connect at least one of my two
20-MB SCSI hard drive mechanisms to my 8-bit. This is also correct?

(Bear with me folks, this is an 8-bit BBS in the making, y'know?)  :)

I assume that if I hook up a high speed modem (to either the PR
Connection or the Black Box), I can use a typical PC-type high speed
modem cable, correct?

My girlfriend, who loves to play Rainbow Walker and Boulder Dash, is left
handed. I remember that it's possible to switch the wires in a standard
Atari joystick around to convert it to southpaw format, but I forget the
details. Can someone please provide me with this?

Is it _at all_ possible to connect, say, a Sega Genesis game pad to the
800XL? (I know that the Genesis pad has three buttons + a START button,
but I figured since they're both 8-way pads and use DIN-9 connectors, a
hack would have been made by now if it were possible.)

My 1020 plotter has no paper or pens. I remember that Radio Shack had
sold both at one point in time. Do they still? And if so, do you happen
to know the product numbers to ask for? If not, where might I find them?

There's probably a lot more that I need to know, but that's about all for
now. Like I said, replies would be most appreciated.

-Steve

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by Zargw » Tue, 24 May 1994 18:18:21

Quote:>Is it _at all_ possible to connect, say, a Sega Genesis game pad to the
>800XL? (I know that the Genesis pad has three buttons + a START button,
>but I figured since they're both 8-way pads and use DIN-9 connectors, a
>hack would have been made by now if it were possible.)

plug it in! It works!! Don't ask me which of the fire buttons work, but it ain't
hard to work it out. I use my Sega pads all the time with my 8-bit machines.

Zargwog...

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by Russ Gilbe » Tue, 24 May 1994 22:45:33

(Lord Thanatos asks how to hook up his HP Thinkjet, if a BB
will allow him to hook up his SCSI imbedded drives and other
questions.)
Yes, BB from CSS (see vendor list) will allow 19.2k baud,
the P:R: is 4800 or so limit. CSS is supposed to be coming
with a R:P: that, if I'm not mistaken comes out of the SIO
port and does 19.2k baud. I didn't think this was possible.
You use a standard AT type 9 pin male to 25 pin male modem
cable to hook your modem to the P:R:. Yes a BB will allow
the imbedded SCSI drives. 1020 stuff: call San Jose or B&C
computervisions. Don't bother with Radio Shack. You should
be able to hook up your Thinkjet to the P:R: connection.

Finally, this is a post instead of e-mail because I've tried

msgs. about the magazines and no response. I also left a
msg. on your answering machine asking how much you would
want in order to ship those magazines to me in Ohio.

        APK   Public Access UNI* Cleveland,  (216)-481-9436
        Ohio first telnet/FTP/IRC/MUD/Internet access BBS
E-mail,news feeds, shell access, files    UnixBBS distribution point

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by LORDTHANA.. » Wed, 25 May 1994 02:11:53

>Finally, this is a post instead of e-mail because I've tried

>msgs. about the magazines and no response. I also left a
>msg. on your answering machine asking how much you would
>want in order to ship those magazines to me in Ohio.

And you didn't leave me a phone number to call you back, and I *did* get
the mail that you said (on my machine) had bounced. And I replied to it
several days ago.

-Steve

PS: Thanks for the info.

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by Glenn M. Saunde » Wed, 25 May 1994 08:45:09

: the P:R: is 4800 or so limit. CSS is supposed to be coming
: with a R:P: that, if I'm not mistaken comes out of the SIO
: port and does 19.2k baud. I didn't think this was possible.

The R: verter device has been able to do this for a long time, but only
good for null modems.  Once you start using the industry-standard 16550
UART a CTS/RTS flow control high speed capable SIO interface becomes a
lot more feasible.

MORE than 19.2k.  More like 38K baud.

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by Bill Kendri » Wed, 25 May 1994 04:45:29

> >Is it _at all_ possible to connect, say, a Sega Genesis game pad to the
> >800XL? (I know that the Genesis pad has three buttons + a START button,
> >but I figured since they're both 8-way pads and use DIN-9 connectors, a
> >hack would have been made by now if it were possible.)

> plug it in! It works!! Don't ask me which of the fire buttons work, but it ain't
> hard to work it out. I use my Sega pads all the time with my 8-bit machines.

The "B" button works as the standard fire button.
The "C" or "A" button (I think it was "C"?) works by changing the high/low
 voltage on one of the Paddle registers..  you could make a simple BASIC
 program like this to test it all out:

10 PRINT "STK:";STICK(0);" ";
15 PRINT "TRG:";STRIG(0);" ";
20 PRINT "PD0:";PADDLE(0);" ";
25 PRINT "PD1:";PADDLE(1)
30 IF PEEK(53279)<>6 THEN GOTO 10

Type it in, plug your Sega controller into joystick port 1 (player 1), type
RUN [Return], and try it out.  Press [Start] to quit.

The listed info would be the joy(stick/pad) position (15=center, I won't
list them all :) ), the joystick trigger (1=off, 0=pressed), and then the
paddle
0 and 1 values.. Press [A] and [C] (again, I BELIEVE it was [C]) and one of
those should change.

Please post your results! :)  (let's add it to the FAQ huhuhuh cool huhuh)

Thanx!

Bill Kendrick         New Breed Software

59 Palm Lane          for Atari XL & IBM
Novato CA 94945  /|\

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by kamaro_.. » Wed, 25 May 1994 22:30:22

Actually, I can get a CLEAN 9600 using my PR:C - and have ALWAYS been
able to get a decent 9600.  19.2k it will not do, but it will do
9600.

I have a Hayes Ultra v.32 9600 and a Hayes Accura 9600 - and the PR:C works
find at 9600 on both modems.

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by poehland%phvax.d.. » Wed, 25 May 1994 13:38:12

Hello "Lord Thanatos",

Sorry, you won't get 9600 baud with a P:R: Connection.  4800 max.  The
P:R:C connects to the joystick port, which has a bandwidth limit of around
5KHz.  Even 4800 might be pushing it.  I used a Supra 2400 with a P:R:C for
many years at 2400 baud, no problem.

The BB WILL let you run 19.2KBd.  (You REALLY planning on using a modem that
fast???)  Whatever, the BB will let you do it.

Yup, if you got 2 20meg embedded SCSI hard drives you can stick both of them
on the SCSI port of the BB.  (I just sent out a lengthy post on using the
BB w/SCSI drives a few days ago, you might want to recall it.)  Someone
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can stick upwards of 8 devices on
the SCSI bus, as most SCSI devices can be configured for LUN 0 thru 7 or
whatever.  You'll find that stuff in the docs for the BB.

I still got another 20-meg SCSI HD mech to sell if you're interested, $45
plus shpg.

    - Ben Poehland

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by Fredrik Lundho » Wed, 25 May 1994 17:26:46

>Hello "Lord Thanatos",
>Sorry, you won't get 9600 baud with a P:R: Connection.  4800 max.  The
>P:R:C connects to the joystick port, which has a bandwidth limit of around
>5KHz.  Even 4800 might be pushing it.  I used a Supra 2400 with a P:R:C for
>many years at 2400 baud, no problem.

Ahh?
P:R:C connects through the joyport?
You must have confused P:R:C with something else, P:R:C: connects to the sio!
(claims 850 compat.)
The only thing lacking is that it's the last device in the sio chain,
which makes it unsuitable for use with SIO2PC.

Related 850 question:

I know the 850 can do 9600.
But when I connected a 9600 modem all it allows me is 1200!
(not 300, not 2400)
When I try to change baudrate from bobterm nothing happens!
(from the PC, though, it swithes baudrate like a mother)
I also have a 2400 modem that works great, swithes baudrate perfectly
up to 2400....

What make a 9600 modem unsuitable for use with 850 module? (RTS/CTS???)

Fredrik Lundholm           DDD    OO   L
                           D  D  O  O  L   - RECORDS

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by Bill Kendri » Thu, 26 May 1994 01:27:10

> The only thing lacking is that it's the last device in the sio chain,
> which makes it unsuitable for use with SIO2PC.

Speaking of SIO2PC's being stuck at the dead end of the SIO chain.. what
simple hack-files are there out there to make, well, a baby Quintopus..
inotherwords, a Y-SIO-cable.. that way I'd be able to connect my lowly
SX212 up to my Atari and run my BBS off of my PC..

And I STILL wanna know how to do UltraSpeed in MyDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

At least now (since Rick Cortese mentioned the word 'POKEY' to me when I
mentioned 'modem, printer, SIO2PC don't work!' to him) my upgraded 256k
1200xl can talk to the modem (which my friend still has! ugh!) :)

I guess for now I could set up my BBS to run off of (ugh) floppy (like I
used to do with my stock 1200xl when IT was working correctly)... but then
also plus RAMdisk, so I guess that makes up for it a little.

Finals suck huhuhuh...
   yeah.. they SUCK!  they SUCK!  hehe hehehe  SUCK! heheh
settle down Billis! don't soil your drawers huhuhu

Post by Raphael J Espi » Thu, 26 May 1994 19:16:09

>Speaking of SIO2PC's being stuck at the dead end of the SIO chain.. what
>simple hack-files are there out there to make, well, a baby Quintopus..
>inotherwords, a Y-SIO-cable.. that way I'd be able to connect my lowly
>SX212 up to my Atari and run my BBS off of my PC..

You've just made me think of Micro Discount's T-SIO connector.  This is a PCB
with a short SIO cable* out of one end (which plugs into the SIO port
on one of your devices), and at the other end there are 3 SIO sockets into
which you can plug another 3 SIO connectors...  Allowing you to have several
dead-ended devices in the chain.  Price is around 8 pounds I think (12 US$),
course if you are abroad it might be more hassle to order than it's worth.
Still such a connector can not be all that hard to build.
--

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by Glenn M. Saunde » Thu, 26 May 1994 10:51:16

: Hello "Lord Thanatos",

: Sorry, you won't get 9600 baud with a P:R: Connection.  4800 max.  The
: P:R:C connects to the joystick port, which has a bandwidth limit of around
: 5KHz.  Even 4800 might be pushing it.  I used a Supra 2400 with a P:R:C for
: many years at 2400 baud, no problem.

You may have been up too late when you posted that and confused joystick
port with SIO port or perhaps PRC with XEP-80?

: The BB WILL let you run 19.2KBd.  (You REALLY planning on using a modem that
: fast???)  Whatever, the BB will let you do it.

The price is right for the modems, plus it isn't as fast as you think.

A full vt100 screen refresh takes about a second.  Transfers through Y
modem go very fast, but the disk I/O slows down the throughput, even HD
disk I/O.  I think I transferred 200K in about 2.5 minutes.  It's great,
but it isn't GODLY performance.  If the compression were allowed to do
what it can really do (i.e. a 57K RS232 port) then indeed it would be a
lot better than that.  But the hardware flow control and Bobterm's
protocols are keeping it at the 8-bit's limit.  I think the R:P, if it
allows for a higher setting like 24K or 38K will lead to faster file
transfer throughput.  But probably not much faster text.

It is MORE than satisfactory, I have no complaints.  The scrolling is fast
enough to play muds without waiting for garbage to scroll and I can do
fullscreen editing on a screen comparable if not faster than Atariwriter80
on an XEP80!

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by LORDTHANA.. » Wed, 25 May 1994 23:48:44

>Sorry, you won't get 9600 baud with a P:R: Connection.  4800 max.  The
>P:R:C connects to the joystick port, which has a bandwidth limit of around
>5KHz.  Even 4800 might be pushing it.  I used a Supra 2400 with a P:R:C for
>many years at 2400 baud, no problem.

Uhm, my PR Connection connects to the standard Atari I/O port, not the
joystick port.

Quote:>The BB WILL let you run 19.2KBd.  (You REALLY planning on using a modem that
>fast???)  Whatever, the BB will let you do it.

I intend on running a BBS when I get everything set up. File transfer is
probably the primary thing Atari 8-bit owners look for in a BBS (I used
to run one a long time ago), so I figured I'd make it as easy as
possible.  :)

Quote:>Yup, if you got 2 20meg embedded SCSI hard drives you can stick both of them
>on the SCSI port of the BB.  (I just sent out a lengthy post on using the
>BB w/SCSI drives a few days ago, you might want to recall it.)  Someone
>correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can stick upwards of 8 devices on
>the SCSI bus, as most SCSI devices can be configured for LUN 0 thru 7 or
>whatever.  You'll find that stuff in the docs for the BB.

SCSI supports eight devices, numbered 0-7. However, the computer is
ALWAYS SCSI 7, according to the chain dynamics, so you can actually
connect seven physical devices.

Quote:>I still got another 20-meg SCSI HD mech to sell if you're interested, $45
>plus shpg.

Two 20-MB drives are fine, and if I wanted a third, I can buy them for
about $20. You might want to rethink that asking price.

-Steve

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by LORDTHANA.. » Wed, 25 May 1994 23:51:07

>The only thing lacking is that it's the last device in the sio chain,
>which makes it unsuitable for use with SIO2PC.

Why is it the last device in the SIO chain? There's a standard Atari SIO
port on the back of the PR-C as well as a permanent cable for attaching
it to the network. My PR-C is first in line; Atari 800XL -> PR-C -> three
1050's -> other stuff.

-Steve

It's Alive! ALIVE! But...

Post by Bill Marc » Thu, 26 May 1994 15:16:30

20 meg drives for $20?  Are you talking SCSI or MFM?  Ben was selling
SCSI drives.

--

"Love to eat them mousies.  Mousies what I love to eat.
Bite they little heads off.  Nibble on they tiny feet."  --B. Kliban