Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal Mega floppy connector?

Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal Mega floppy connector?

Post by Dave Gli » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:41:43

Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal floppy connector in
a Mega-ST?  The internal cable is a standard 34 pin IBM type of cable
and the drive uses a standard IBM type power connection.

I am putting this Mega into an IBM type of case and would rather bring
both the A and B drives off of the internal connector instead of
running a cable from the B drive in the back of the motherboard to the
front of the case.

I will have to make a floppy cable extension since the cable that
comes with the Mega is soldered onto the motheroboard and is way to
short to go to the front of the case.

I have the system up and running now, except for the floppy drives
being hooked up

Dave Glish

Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal Mega floppy connector?

Post by Richard Anderso » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 15:43:13

Hi Dave,

> Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal floppy connector in
> a Mega-ST?  The internal cable is a standard 34 pin IBM type of cable
> and the drive uses a standard IBM type power connection.

> I am putting this Mega into an IBM type of case and would rather bring
> both the A and B drives off of the internal connector instead of
> running a cable from the B drive in the back of the motherboard to the
> front of the case.

> I will have to make a floppy cable extension since the cable that
> comes with the Mega is soldered onto the motheroboard and is way to
> short to go to the front of the case.

> I have the system up and running now, except for the floppy drives
> being hooked up

> Dave Glish

I put my Mega into a big tower a long time ago.  I am running both floppies
off of the internal connector.  I don't remember having to do anything
special for it.  If you use a straight cable you need to set the drive select
jumber on the second drive for DS1 (DS2 if numbers start from 1).  You can
also use a IBM style floppy cable, with the twist in it, and you shouldn't
have to change the drive select.

As I said, I don't think I had to modify anything.  However, it has been quite
a while since I did this.  If I did modify anything, it was a simple jumper of the
drive select from the external floppy connector to the second drive select of
the internal one.  Just give it a try.  If you have any problems, I can check my
to see what I did.

Richard Anderson

Post by Dave Gli » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 23:27:57

> Hi Dave,

> > Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal floppy connector in
> > a Mega-ST?  The internal cable is a standard 34 pin IBM type of cable
> > and the drive uses a standard IBM type power connection.

> > I am putting this Mega into an IBM type of case and would rather bring
> > both the A and B drives off of the internal connector instead of
> > running a cable from the B drive in the back of the motherboard to the
> > front of the case.

> > I will have to make a floppy cable extension since the cable that
> > comes with the Mega is soldered onto the motheroboard and is way to
> > short to go to the front of the case.

> > I have the system up and running now, except for the floppy drives
> > being hooked up

> > Dave Glish

> I put my Mega into a big tower a long time ago.  I am running both floppies
> off of the internal connector.  I don't remember having to do anything
> special for it.  If you use a straight cable you need to set the drive select
> jumber on the second drive for DS1 (DS2 if numbers start from 1).  You can
> also use a IBM style floppy cable, with the twist in it, and you shouldn't
> have to change the drive select.

> As I said, I don't think I had to modify anything.  However, it has been quite
> a while since I did this.  If I did modify anything, it was a simple jumper of the
> drive select from the external floppy connector to the second drive select of
> the internal one.  Just give it a try.  If you have any problems, I can check my
> to see what I did.

> Richard Anderson

Thanks for the reply.  Do you remember how you handled the short
internal cable problem.  I'm leary about trying to remove the original
cable and put a new cable directly onto the motherboard.  I'm working
on making a cable with a male end on it to plug into the existing
short cable.

Dave Glish

Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal Mega floppy connector?

Post by Jean-Luc CECCOL » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 02:09:52

Hello,

Dave Glish a crit:

>> Hi Dave,

>> > [2 internal FDD for MegaST]

>> I put my Mega into a big tower a long time ago.  I am running both
>> floppies off of the internal connector.  I don't remember having to do
>> anything special for it.  If you use a straight cable you need to set
>> the drive select jumber on the second drive for DS1 (DS2 if numbers
>> start from 1).  You can also use a IBM style floppy cable, with the
>> twist n it, and you shouldn't have to change the drive select.

>> As I said, I don't think I had to modify anything.  However, it has
>> been quite a while since I did this.  If I did modify anything, it was
>> a simple jumper of the drive select from the external floppy connector
>> to the second drive select of the internal one.  Just give it a try.
>> If you have any problems, I can check my to see what I did.

I agree : nothing else to do, than setting a jumper or using a PC
twisted cable.

Quote:>Thanks for the reply.  Do you remember how you handled the short
>internal cable problem.  I'm leary about trying to remove the original
>cable and put a new cable directly onto the motherboard.  I'm working
>on making a cable with a male end on it to plug into the existing
>short cable.

I desoldered the original connector and replaced it with with a male one.
But I think what you plan will work : FDD isn't as sensitive as SCSI!

J.-Luc

--
+=====+    ?From? et ?Reply-To? sont des adresses de spammeurs. Pour

+=======+  centre to outside the spiral on the left.

Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal Mega floppy connector?

Post by Richard Anderso » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 15:57:57

Dave,

> > Hi Dave,

> > > Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal floppy connector in
> > > a Mega-ST?  The internal cable is a standard 34 pin IBM type of cable
> > > and the drive uses a standard IBM type power connection.

> > > I am putting this Mega into an IBM type of case and would rather bring
> > > both the A and B drives off of the internal connector instead of
> > > running a cable from the B drive in the back of the motherboard to the
> > > front of the case.

> > > I will have to make a floppy cable extension since the cable that
> > > comes with the Mega is soldered onto the motheroboard and is way to
> > > short to go to the front of the case.

> > > I have the system up and running now, except for the floppy drives
> > > being hooked up

> > > Dave Glish

> > I put my Mega into a big tower a long time ago.  I am running both floppies
> > off of the internal connector.  I don't remember having to do anything
> > special for it.  If you use a straight cable you need to set the drive select
> > jumber on the second drive for DS1 (DS2 if numbers start from 1).  You can
> > also use a IBM style floppy cable, with the twist in it, and you shouldn't
> > have to change the drive select.

> > As I said, I don't think I had to modify anything.  However, it has been quite
> > a while since I did this.  If I did modify anything, it was a simple jumper of the
> > drive select from the external floppy connector to the second drive select of
> > the internal one.  Just give it a try.  If you have any problems, I can check my
> > to see what I did.

> > Richard Anderson

> Thanks for the reply.  Do you remember how you handled the short
> internal cable problem.  I'm leary about trying to remove the original
> cable and put a new cable directly onto the motherboard.  I'm working
> on making a cable with a male end on it to plug into the existing
> short cable.

> Dave Glish

Right now my machine is not out, so it is not convenient for me to check it.
I believe I did just what your proposing.  I know that you can get a male
insulation displacement 34 pin plug connector, but I didn't see it in my
Jameco catalog.  I do remember that it was one of the pricier connectors.
I've used them for a couple of different projects.  I also once soldered
all of the ribbon cable wires to a PCB-mount plug to make an adapter
to use 8" drives on my 8-bit Atari, but that can be a real pain.

Richard Anderson

Post by Dave Gli » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:30:45

> Dave,

> > > Hi Dave,

> > > I put my Mega into a big tower a long time ago.  I am running both floppies
> > > off of the internal connector.  I don't remember having to do anything
> > > special for it.  If you use a straight cable you need to set the drive select
> > > jumber on the second drive for DS1 (DS2 if numbers start from 1).  You can
> > > also use a IBM style floppy cable, with the twist in it, and you shouldn't
> > > have to change the drive select.

> > > As I said, I don't think I had to modify anything.  However, it has been quite
> > > a while since I did this.  If I did modify anything, it was a simple jumper of the
> > > drive select from the external floppy connector to the second drive select of
> > > the internal one.  Just give it a try.  If you have any problems, I can check my
> > > to see what I did.

> > > Richard Anderson

> > Thanks for the reply.  Do you remember how you handled the short
> > internal cable problem.  I'm leary about trying to remove the original
> > cable and put a new cable directly onto the motherboard.  I'm working
> > on making a cable with a male end on it to plug into the existing
> > short cable.

> > Dave Glish

> Right now my machine is not out, so it is not convenient for me to check it.
> I believe I did just what your proposing.  I know that you can get a male
> insulation displacement 34 pin plug connector, but I didn't see it in my
> Jameco catalog.  I do remember that it was one of the pricier connectors.
> I've used them for a couple of different projects.  I also once soldered
> all of the ribbon cable wires to a PCB-mount plug to make an adapter
> to use 8" drives on my 8-bit Atari, but that can be a real pain.

> Richard Anderson

I will try using the twisted cable.  I decided to take a chance and
remove the old cable from the connector on the Motherboard and attach
a new, longer cable.  It worked.  Now I just have to find that second
double density drive that I have lying around somewhere.

Otherwise the system is working great.  I have a 240mb drive, CDrom
drive and an Exabyte tape backup unit in the computer.  I don't have
the CDrom drive working yet.  I have to find the ICD driver disk that
allows the use of the CDrom.  Next I am making a cable to allow me to
use an old Multisync monitor with the computer.  I have all of the
parts, just need to solder it all together.

Dave Glish

Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal Mega floppy connector?

Post by chrisc19 » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:17:14

If you get a double-sided piece of header (I used to have some
somewhere, can't remember where it is now but I can look for it
tonight), then you can use it to attach a PC floppy cable (with the
twist) to the standard cable in the Atari...Iv'e seen it done and it
worked OK...floppy isn't that cable sensitive...

chrisc