Using a zip drive with an ST

Post by James Hasl » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 04:58:49

Hi Hallvard!

Quote:>There's also some talk about connecting a wire to a pin of the joystick
>for power. I take it this is the +5V signal needed for SCSI "TERMPRW" at
>some pin of the SCSI unit (pin 11?).

Note that you only need to do this if you are not using another SCSI
device. If you use another device in the chain then the drive will work
without term power from the joystick port. Also note that this is only on
the Zip 100 units, the later Zip 250 units didn't have this problem.

Quote:>Anything else to remember? When everything is set up, will it then act
>just like any harddisk?

Mostly, you will notice that it is a lot slower than a regular fixed hard
drive. It also has a auto spin down feature which after it spins back up
brings in a pause of about a second before accessing data.

Quote:>Will such a drive be auto-bootable? Someone who has a zip drive
>connected to his ST tells me that he needs to reboot it after power has
>switched on (warm boot), and some AUTO folder program has to be used.

Thats never happened with my Zip 100, on both my STs and now my Falcon.
It's possible it's a problem when used to boot from but I seem to recall
it booting fine.

Cheers!

James

|                                                     |     .____.

|                                                     |    || || |
|IRC & ICQ Nick: JazHaz   ICQ UIN: 37135025           |    || ||/ \_

Using a zip drive with an ST

Post by Uwe Seime » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:07:01

> Mostly, you will notice that it is a lot slower than a regular fixed hard
> drive. It also has a auto spin down feature which after it spins back up
> brings in a pause of about a second before accessing data.

You can can configure the time until spin down, can switch this feature
off by software and/or can use other software to control the time in
case the drive spinning down on its own is not desired.

                                          http://www.seimet.de

Using a zip drive with an ST

Post by Roger Cai » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 17:32:33

> >There's also some talk about connecting a wire to a pin of the joystick
> >for power. I take it this is the +5V signal needed for SCSI "TERMPRW" at
> >some pin of the SCSI unit (pin 11?).

More like pin 25, I think ..... but CHECK!

---

Using a zip drive with an ST

Post by Matthew Walt » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 02:38:59

I also want to connect a scsi ZIP to an Atari 1040STf.
I have a scsi ICD adapter w/ software version 5.6.1
My adapter sees the ZIP scsi ID#5 on boot up and
can format the ZIP using ICDFRMT. However, every time I try
to partition it, it gets errors and says to reformat the ZIP.
   I tried downloading and using the HD Driver Demo, but
it can't recognize the media on my primary scsi drive and says
the media is corrupt and won't let me even get to the process of
formatting the SCSI drive.

Question#1-Will the full version of HD Driver work with my scsi ICD
adapter, or do I have to buy a Link adapter?

Question#2-Will HD Driver with ICD adapter let me format the ZIP
so it is compatible with IBM and Atari?

Question#3-Is there a later version of ICD drivers that would solve my problem?
If so, what is the latest version and where might I get it? (Mine is 5.6.1)

Question#4-ANyone know of a list of Manufacturers of Atari compatible
scsi II drives? (I just bought an IBM 2.1 Gig scsi II fast-wide that
won't be recognized by my ICD adapter)

Question#5-Is it possible to disable parity checking with the ICD drivers
through software?

Thanks
Matthew Walter

Using a zip drive with an ST

Post by Uwe Seime » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 16:33:56

>    I tried downloading and using the HD Driver Demo, but
> it can't recognize the media on my primary scsi drive and says
> the media is corrupt and won't let me even get to the process of
> formatting the SCSI drive.

If the media is recognzized to be corrupt note that the full version of
HDDRIVER will also say so. Typically this is a cable or termination
problem. Whatever it is, it is most likely a hardware problem.
You cannot format with the demo version because the demo is restricted.
Please refer to the README for more information.

Quote:> Question#1-Will the full version of HD Driver work with my scsi ICD
> adapter, or do I have to buy a Link adapter?

It will work without restrictions.

Quote:> Question#2-Will HD Driver with ICD adapter let me format the ZIP
> so it is compatible with IBM and Atari?

Not format, but partition. Formatting is irrelevant, partitioning is
what makes the difference.

Quote:> Question#3-Is there a later version of ICD drivers that would solve my problem?

No, There is no driver except HDDRIVER that supports partitions that are
both PC and Atari compatible.

Quote:> Question#4-ANyone know of a list of Manufacturers of Atari compatible
> scsi II drives? (I just bought an IBM 2.1 Gig scsi II fast-wide that
> won't be recognized by my ICD adapter)

Any SCSI-II or SCSI-III drive can be connected to the Atari. Note,
however, that you need an adapter (16 to 8 bit) if you want to connect
one of the current UW/160 drives that have an 16 bit SCSI bus. This
adapter is nothing specific to the Atari. Also note that some drives may
require initiator identification and thus require a LINK96 adapter. But
as far as I know this is only required for some Quantum drives.

Quote:> Question#5-Is it possible to disable parity checking with the ICD drivers
> through software?

No. The only drives where you can switch parity off by software are
Quantum drives. You need special software for doing this, which is
included in HDDRIVER. But even with these drives and the right software
you have to connect your drive to an Atari that supports parity in order
to reconfigure the drive. With a host adapter not supporting parity you
cannot do this because the precondition for the drive to be accessible
with this adapter is that parity is already switched off.

                                          http://www.seimet.de

1. Using a zip drive with an ST

As far as I know it does. The best host adapter (highest compatibility
with SCSI) is the LINK96 or LINK97 by WB Systemtechnik.

7.00 or newer supports special functions for the ZIP. If you get a
second hand driver be careful that you get it on the original floppy
disk and that you get a written statement from the owner that he has
destroyed any copy. Otherwise your copy would be illegal.
BTW, the current version is HDDRIVER 8, with the demo version available
on http://www.seimet.de/atari_english.html. With an English manual it's
available from Atari Workshop.

Yes, any drive with removable media is auto-bootable. The ZIP is nothing
special in most respects. The only thing that is different between the
ZIP and other drives are the built-in auto-spin down and password
protection functions.

                                          http://www.seimet.de

2. Virus Detected

3. Using a Zip drive parallel or scsi with an Atari -ST

4. how connect a Nintendo 64 on an ATARI SC1435 color monitor

5. Anyone using a ZIP drive?

6. test - pls ignore

7. Need a Hard drive/zip drive/drivers for 1040ste

8. Zip parallel Drive on a 1040 ST ???

9. Can I connect a zip drive to my ST?

10. Syquest EZ Zip drives and the ST...

11. // ZIP Drive on ST or Falcon