SIM City

Post by Anub » Sun, 24 Jun 1990 23:49:37

Well, I have been playing the Atari ST version of SIM City for several
days now.  It is awesome!  All of you should go out right now and get it.
It runs in low res, all the colors you know.  Basically it is the same
as the PC version--a few minor differences, none of which I can think
of off hand.  The only thing I don't like about it is that copy
protection. It is text protected, and the sheet you have to look up
the data on is a redish color with redish print on it.  Try looking up
THAT in the dark...or even in the light!  Does anyone else have any
comments on the Atari version of this game?

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Yet with strange eons even death may die-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

SIM City

Post by Ajay Choudh » Mon, 25 Jun 1990 08:44:15

>Well, I have been playing the Atari ST version of SIM City for several
>days now.  It is awesome!  All of you should go out right now and get it.
>It runs in low res, all the colors you know.  Basically it is the same
>as the PC version--a few minor differences, none of which I can think
>of off hand.

Well the PC-VGA version is pretty attractive too, but the monochrome
MAC version still seems to be the best(in my opinion). The button usage
and windows are just a little clumsy after playing the Mac version. I wish
there was a monochrome version that had the same feel as the Mac version.

 > The only thing I don't like about it is that copy

Quote:>protection. It is text protected, and the sheet you have to look up
>the data on is a redish color with redish print on it.  Try looking up
>THAT in the dark...or even in the light!  Does anyone else have any
>comments on the Atari version of this game?

Overall, Simcity the game gets stale after a while.. I have built megalopolis'  and then put it away(Mac). I think they made the city list/data sheet
red so you cannot photocopy, pretty smart if you ask me.

>--
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Yet with strange eons even death may die-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

UNLV, New York Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, NJ Devils, NJ Nets, and Man United rule

SIM City

Post by Alexis MERMET-GRANDFILL » Tue, 26 Jun 1990 16:57:35

Hi,

I am using SIM city here in France. It is quite a good game and I spent almost
full nights on it.

I would only regret that the MAP window is not sizeable and , of course the
worst is that horrible BUG in GEM that make ou have to repeat mouse clicks on
sliders to make them move multiple times. Its a shame when you have to deal
with big towns...

And why could not we get the PRINT-CITY feature unlike PC or Mac versions ?

Alex.

SIM City

Post by Bill Sheppa » Wed, 27 Jun 1990 05:30:29

>Well, I have been playing the Atari ST version of SIM City for several
>days now.  It is awesome!  All of you should go out right now and get it.
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Yet with strange eons even death may die-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I too love it! Only thing it doesn't do versus PC version is print the city.
It should be possible (though I don't know how practical) to write a utility
that prints the city directly from the city save file.

The game is fully GEM, user interface is quite good. Maxis has promised all
future software (SimEarth, among others) will be ported to the ST also.

Bill Sheppard
Microware Systems Corp.
*** How about an OS-9 Sim City? ***

SIM City

Post by David G. Ada » Wed, 27 Jun 1990 04:32:11

>I am using SIM city here in France. It is quite a good game and I spent almost
>full nights on it.

>And why could not we get the PRINT-CITY feature unlike PC or Mac versions ?

>Alex.

Couldn't you just print screen?  Or does the print-city command do something
special, like print statistics as well?

dave

  < |/\   |    LotE    |  "Modern love is automatic"  - A Flock of Seagulls |
   \|     |  Live it!  |  Don't bug the University 'bout nuthin' I've said. /
--

Post by Anub » Wed, 27 Jun 1990 21:28:16

>I too love it! Only thing it doesn't do versus PC version is print the city.
>It should be possible (though I don't know how practical) to write a utility
>that prints the city directly from the city save file.

>The game is fully GEM, user interface is quite good. Maxis has promised all
>future software (SimEarth, among others) will be ported to the ST also.

The one thing I wish it DID have was, I hate having to use the slider
bars to move around in the city.  Why can't it be more like the PC
program in that respect?

--

Post by Colas Nahab » Wed, 27 Jun 1990 23:11:57

Quote:MERMET-GRANDFILLES) writes:
> I would only regret that the MAP window is not sizeable and , of course the
> worst is that horrible BUG in GEM that make ou have to repeat mouse clicks on
> sliders to make them move multiple times. Its a shame when you have to deal
> with big towns...

Use the cursor keys to move, or upgrade to TOS 1.x , x > 0

Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager

INRIA - Sophia Antipolis, 2004, rte des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE

SIM City

Post by L.J.Dick » Wed, 27 Jun 1990 19:53:07

> ... I think they made the city list/data sheet
>red so you cannot photocopy, pretty smart if you ask me.

One problem... 10 percent of the male population has some
sort of color blindness, and red-green is the most common form.

SIM City

Post by James 'Kibo' Par » Thu, 28 Jun 1990 08:21:28

>> ... I think they made the city list/data sheet
>>red so you cannot photocopy, pretty smart if you ask me.

>One problem... 10 percent of the male population has some
>sort of color blindness, and red-green is the most common form.

"Color blindness" doesn't mean the person can't see red things--
in this case, red-green color blindness just means they won't be
able to tell "red" and "green" apart.  Red print on reddish paper
(like the SimCity sheet) should be just as readable to them as to
anyone else...  red print on GREEN paper would cause problems for
someone with red-green color blindness, like the color blindness
tests that have numbers made of red and green dots.

Of course, red print on green paper would give everyone else
a headache when they tried to read it, too.  :-)

--
james "kibo" parry, 138 birch lane, scotia, ny 12302 <-- close to schenectady.

SIM City

Post by Wolfgang Ju » Sat, 30 Jun 1990 05:02:32

Quote:(Alexis MERMET-GRANDFILLES) writes:

> I would only regret that the MAP window is not sizeable and , of course the
> worst is that horrible BUG in GEM that make ou have to repeat mouse clicks on
> sliders to make them move multiple times. Its a shame when you have to deal
> with big towns...

You are probalby working with that old buggy TOS 1.0 just get TOS 1.4 with
the patch Prgrams or a debugged Version of TOS 1.4 . You will notice, that
you won't need a multiclicks anymore, whner you want to keep on scrolling

Greetings
        Wolfgang Jung

--
============================================================================#

#                    Bang:..!tmpmbx!unlisys!image!mist!woju                 #
============================================================================#

SIM City

Post by Chris Jay McBri » Sun, 01 Jul 1990 14:42:50

There are some differences between the IBM, Mac, and Amiga versions an
version.  The ST version does not have the 'cheat' that allows you to
embezzle funds (to the tune of $10,000 a pop).  To do this on the other
computer versions you just type in 'FUND' during the normal course of the game
and it will give you $10,000.  There is a catch, you cant do it more than a
couple of times in a row, or you will suffer a major earthquake disaster.

I wondered that since the ST version of Simcity was programmed by Infrogrames
(a french company (?)), that you might have to type in the french word for
FUND.  But I have no idea what that is.  Anyone have any ideas as to what
the cheat might be (if there is one).

SIM City

Post by Randal Schwar » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 06:39:16

| There are some differences between the IBM, Mac, and Amiga versions an
| version.  The ST version does not have the 'cheat' that allows you to
| embezzle funds (to the tune of $10,000 a pop).  To do this on the other
| computer versions you just type in 'FUND' during the normal course of the game
| and it will give you $10,000.  There is a catch, you cant do it more than a
| couple of times in a row, or you will suffer a major earthquake disaster.
|
| I wondered that since the ST version of Simcity was programmed by Infrogrames
| (a french company (?)), that you might have to type in the french word for
| FUND.  But I have no idea what that is.  Anyone have any ideas as to what
| the cheat might be (if there is one).

Au contraire! (Spelled like I pronounce it... my humblest apologies... :-)

The word is "MONEY" typed in with the shift key.  What a neat hack.
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

\=Cute Quote: "Welcome to Portland, Oregon, home of the California Raisins!"=/

SIM City

Post by Anub » Thu, 05 Jul 1990 00:40:52

Quote:>There are some differences between the IBM, Mac, and Amiga versions an
>version.  The ST version does not have the 'cheat' that allows you to
>embezzle funds (to the tune of $10,000 a pop).  To do this on the other
>computer versions you just type in 'FUND' during the normal course of the game
>and it will give you $10,000.  There is a catch, you cant do it more than a
>couple of times in a row, or you will suffer a major earthquake disaster.

>I wondered that since the ST version of Simcity was programmed by Infrogrames
>(a french company (?)), that you might have to type in the french word for
>FUND.  But I have no idea what that is.  Anyone have any ideas as to what
>the cheat might be (if there is one).

Actually, the cheat does exist.  Try typing MONEY instead of funs, it
seems to work the same as on the IBM version of the game.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Yet with strange eons even death may die-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

SIM City

Post by Marc Gumbo » Sat, 07 Jul 1990 02:40:01

Is it true that Sim City runs in Low Res only? I read about the game in
Newsweek (!) a couple of months ago and was since then eagerly waiting for
the ST version to come out. What a pity if I couldn't play it just because
of my black & white monitor!

Are there any rumors whether Sim City will once run in Hi Res?

Marc
--

                   Snail: Uni-GH Paderborn, FB17i, 4790 Paderborn, W. Germany

SIM City

Post by John Gord » Sat, 07 Jul 1990 03:43:48

        I was reading about the ST version of Sim City on GEnie, and I am
pretty sure that it is low-res only.  Sorry.

---
John Gordon

GEnie:    j.gordon14

1. SIm City - Original manual Needed

Finally found out why I can't turn of the disasters! The game is copy
protected with a code! The game prompts me to enter the name of some city
which corresponds to some shaded boxes. Of course I can't do that because
all I have is the Maxis / Infogames addenum. Do you. Dave Haas, or anyone
else have the code information?

Todd Hogarth

2. resolve macro variable containing & sign? tip rstr rescan str ing

3. Sim City cheat codes

4. MPI_WAIT question

5. SIM CITY - STe Compatible????

6. Need utility VPtoVF

7. SIM CITY - STe Compatible?

8. FS: *** Taming The Wave Package $80 ***

9. WANTED: Sim City

10. WTB: Sim City

11. flight sim info

12. FS Flight Sim II and AtariWriter