ADVOCACY: More prices, prices, prices

Post by Ryan 'Gozar' Colli » Fri, 29 Jan 1993 10:41:23

        Well, I just thought I would post some more prices. (I have the
flyer in my hands now instead of going from memory)

        These are from Cincinnati's Micro Center Store. (I won't post a
number, I don't want this to be to big of a adverti*t :-)  Everything
doesn't include a monitor, unless specified)

Macintosh prices:

        Mac LC II 4/80  $1079 (with keyboard)
        Mac IIsi 5/80   $1449 (without Keyboard)

Intel Based: (MicroCenter didn't even advertise any 386 based systems
                (except notebook computers))

        Entry Level System:
                486sx, 1 meg, 40 meg hd, gray-scale monitor, dos 5 (oohh!)
                        $799

        Complete System:
                486sx, 2megs, 100 meg hd, vga monitor, Windows (ooohh!)
                        $999

        486dx system:
                486dx, 4 megs, 100 meg hd, svga monitor, Windows, mouse
                        $1499

        Accelerated Windows System:
                486sx, 4 megs, 100 meg hd, svga monitor, accelerated
                graphics card
                        $1399
                (for $200 more you can get this with a 486dx2 at 50Mhz)

I don't see with these prices that any company can ever successfully
release a "non-standard" computer and have it succeed. Unless... it was
backed by solid support and offered better value for the money.

(I just wanted to post solid numbers from something other than mail-order
places)

Later.......

------======={{{{{{{{((((((Ryan 'Gozar' Collins))))))))}}}}}}}}=======--------

                                                  \  R.COLLINS1 on GEnie
            ------======={{{{{{{{(((((())))))))}}}}}}}}=======-----  27-JAN-1993

ADVOCACY: More prices, prices, prices

Post by William B Dwinne » Sat, 30 Jan 1993 08:28:10

I'm not disputing anything you said in your message, but one thing is worth
noting: IBM clones differ widely based upon the manufacturer, and especially
the make of the BIOS. Just ask anyone who bought a Tandy! What brand systems
are those, and what BIOS do they use?  I have owned systems with IBM,
AST, and DTK BIOS, and they were all trouble-free, but I have hrxxx
heard of pronblems with some clones.  I don't know, but AMI is also
supposed to be good.

ADVOCACY: More prices, prices, prices

Post by Ryan 'Gozar' Colli » Sun, 31 Jan 1993 12:06:39

Quote:> I'm not disputing anything you said in your message, but one thing is worth
> noting: IBM clones differ widely based upon the manufacturer, and especially
> the make of the BIOS. Just ask anyone who bought a Tandy! What brand systems
> are those, and what BIOS do they use?  I have owned systems with IBM,
> AST, and DTK BIOS, and they were all trouble-free, but I have hrxxx
> heard of pronblems with some clones.  I don't know, but AMI is also
> supposed to be good.

        Well, I don't know what BIOS there are using, but the one price a
quoted was a Compaq for $1398 (486sx)

Later.......

------======={{{{{{{{((((((Ryan 'Gozar' Collins))))))))}}}}}}}}=======--------

                                                  \  R.COLLINS1 on GEnie
            ------======={{{{{{{{(((((())))))))}}}}}}}}=======-----  29-JAN-1993

1. ADVOCACY: Prices, Prices, and more Prices.....

        Well, I just received the recent Micro Center ad, and form the
looks of the prices, I really don't see anyone buying a Falcon other then
musicians.

        First, we have the Macs..... Hmmmmmm, a LC II with 4 megs of ram
and 80 meg hard drive... $1190 (All prices I'm going to quote are without
monitor, just to keep it in line with the Falcon without monitor) IIsi,
same config, $1500.

        Oh, you don't like Macs. How about an Intel based machine.
MicroCenter doesn't even carry any 386 machines. (Except for notebooks.) A
Compaq Prolinea, with a 486sx, 120 meg hard drive, SVGA, and 4 megs of ram.
(Also a fax/modem) $1398! (Also included is one-year on-site support!!)

        As much as I would like the Falcon to succeed, I don't see it
having any sort of success anywhere but the musical world, and then only
until a DSP card comes out for the Mac or Intel world. (And people use the
argument that since they weren't built in, software won't support them. Is
that why Miami here just bought 12 macs for use with Midi? Once a DSP card
is released, support will follow)

(I'm not associated with Micro Center at all, and I'm not trying to be an
advertisement, I just wanted people to see prices other than mail-order.)

Later.......

------======={{{{{{{{((((((Ryan 'Gozar' Collins))))))))}}}}}}}}=======--------

                                                  \  R.COLLINS1 on GEnie
            ------======={{{{{{{{(((((())))))))}}}}}}}}=======-----  27-JAN-1993

2. Critical Update: Is it possible to turn off?

3. ADVOCACY: New Macs out - Falcon price obsolete?

4. Will the 'old' MC260 X10 Powerhouse controllers still work...

5. ADVOCACY: RE: 386SX prices

6. passing multiple variables

7. ADVOCACY: Re: 386SX prices

8. HELP HELP ASP.NET SMTP question

9. ADVOCACY: RE: 386SX prices

10. eBay auction over: WAS THE FINAL PRICE TOO LOW?

11. eBay auction - Page 6 issue 2 - price reduced

12. Price list

13. USA: FS: ICD MIO (Priced Reduced)!!!