Bard's Tale won't work!

Post by Il Hwan » Sun, 19 Jan 1992 16:02:04

I bought Bard's Tale a few years back.  I played it for a while and forgot
about it.  I recently dug it out and wanted to finish the game.  Well, it
won't work any more.  It keeps telling me there's a disk error when it tries
to read the picture disk.  I've done a TOS upgrade (to 1.4) since the last
time I ran this.  Could someone confirm that TOS 1.4 is the reason this
won't run on my system?  If so, does anyone know of a patch that will allow
it run with TOS 1.4?
--
Il Hwan Oh                    |"...in Science, as in religion,
Univ. of Washington, Tacoma   | when one has destroyed human wonder and

                              | one has killed man." -- Loren Eisley

Bard's Tale won't work!

Post by Roger Sheppa » Tue, 21 Jan 1992 01:05:54

> I bought Bard's Tale a few years back.  I played it for a while and forgot
> about it.  I recently dug it out and wanted to finish the game.  Well, it
> won't work any more.  It keeps telling me there's a disk error when it tries
> to read the picture disk.  I've done a TOS upgrade (to 1.4) since the last
> time I ran this.  Could someone confirm that TOS 1.4 is the reason this
> won't run on my system?  If so, does anyone know of a patch that will allow
> it run with TOS 1.4?
> --
> Il Hwan Oh                    |"...in Science, as in religion,
> Univ. of Washington, Tacoma   | when one has destroyed human wonder and

>                               | one has killed man." -- Loren Eisley

There are changes with TOS 1.4 in the way it handles Hidden/Sys Files,
some one posted some info on some other program this did not work with
TOS 1.4, try unhiding the hidden files, that is if this could be the cause.
--

***  85 Donovan Rd        *    *   GEnie.  R.SHEPPARD5               ***
***  Kapiti                        At least I don't Flicker,         ***

Bard's Tale won't work!

Post by Jonathan R » Tue, 21 Jan 1992 19:38:30

 - It keeps telling me there's a disk error when it tries to read the
 - picture disk.  I've done a TOS upgrade (to 1.4) since the last
 - time I ran this.  Could someone confirm that TOS 1.4 is the reason
 - this won't run on my system?  If so, does anyone know of a patch
 - that will allow it run with TOS 1.4?

TOS versions above 1.2 won't run Bard's Tale as is for some reason.
There is a program by Keith Ledbetter called BARDRAM which copies the
first disk into RAM, and runs the program from there. This will allow
you to play it on TOS 1.4. Using the same program, but off a hard
drive, will allow you to run Bard's Tale on TOS 1.4 and up. (TOS 1.6
in the STe won't work with the RAM disk. Not enough RAM.)

--

  |||  -- BBS: Darkest Realm - (Down for now) - Public UUCP/Usenet --
 / | \ "...make him want to change his name,take him to the cleaners,
 devastate him, wipe him out, humiliate him." -CHESS   GEnie: J.ROY18

1. Bard's Tales II and III

Can someone tell me if Bard's Tales II an III exist on ST. If not I

May be nobody want to make any effort after Dungeon Master which is
(and will be for a while) the best role playing computer game.
More generally I noticed that there are not a lot of interesting role
playing games, and the few I have had fun with (D.M. and Bard's Tales)
seem to end. Why do good software for only one computer. The ST and the Amiga
have similar capacities but I can only find Amiga software.
I have had a C64, which I changed for a ST and I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE FOR
AN AMIGA NOW.

Can someone explain all this to me, poor little ST_MANIAC
Olivier.

2. AT&T Broadband Users See 3rd E-Mail Shift

3. Bard's Tale I

4. Wanted - Suppliers of blank CD-R's

5. Bard's Tale II ????

6. Constructor 1.0b2 will not create new document

7. Bard's Tale

8. crypted c-source, Was: vi saved garbage

9. Ultima and Bard's Tale

10. Bard's Tale

11. Bard's Tale II ????

12. 'Connect' (Registered) doesn't work with MagiC!!!