USB cartridge, schematics now available

Post by Mathy van Nisselro » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:29:36

Howdy folks

The schematics to Guus Assmann's USB cartridge are now available at:
http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/APG/ProjUSBCart

It has not one but two USB connectors and uses the cartridge port of your
Atari 8 bit computer.

CU                        Mathy van Nisselroy

--
---
My old email address has ceased to exist, please use my new address.

http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/mathy.van_nisselroy

USB cartridge, schematics now available

Post by Shawn Jeffers » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:32:28

Quote:>Howdy folks

>The schematics to Guus Assmann's USB cartridge are now available at:
>http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/APG/ProjUSBCart

>It has not one but two USB connectors and uses the cartridge port of your
>Atari 8 bit computer.

So this would be used as a Host to connect the Atari to USB devices (like
keyboards, mice, joysticks, cameras, hard drives, etc...) ?

What types of devices is Guus/people thinking to access from the Atari?

I've been reading a little about USB and it is very software intensive,
especially for the Host, since you need drivers for all the classes of
devices as well as the basic control stuff.  It's a neat idea though, I'm
going to look into building one and messing around with it early next year
maybe.

---
Shawn Jefferson (atariguy(at)telus(dot)net)

USB cartridge, schematics now available

Post by Mathy van Nisselro » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 19:56:49

Howdy Shawn

Quote:> So this would be used as a Host to connect the Atari to USB devices (like
> keyboards, mice, joysticks, cameras, hard drives, etc...) ?

I guess so.  I don't know that much about USB, I just knew we needed.  Most
printers nowadays don't have centronics connectors anymore.

Quote:> What types of devices is Guus/people thinking to access from the Atari?

Guus was thinking mainly about the printers (I talked him into developing
it).  I was thinking aboput just about everything you can hook to it.
Starting with printers and *s.  But the ability to network with either
more Atario's or even a PC (as a replacement for the SIO2PC cables) would be
nice to have too.

Quote:> I've been reading a little about USB and it is very software intensive,
> especially for the Host, since you need drivers for all the classes of
> devices as well as the basic control stuff.  It's a neat idea though, I'm
> going to look into building one and messing around with it early next year
> maybe.

I re-sent your previous message in which you volunteered for this project to
Guus.  He could find your old message.  I'll forward this message to him
too.  So he might contact you.

CU                            Mathy van Nisselroy

USB cartridge, schematics now available

Post by William Kendri » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:02:08

Quote:> it).  I was thinking aboput just about everything you can hook to it.
> Starting with printers and *s.  But the ability to network with either
> more Atario's or even a PC (as a replacement for the SIO2PC cables) would be
> nice to have too.

The nice thing about SIO2PC (vs., say, a cartridge solution like this one
sounds like) is that the Atari doesn't need to do anything special to
talk to it.  SIO2PC and APE connect to the SIO port on the Atari and
emulate standard peripherals.

With something connected via the cartridge slot, there'd most likely need
to be some software (booted via the cartridge itself, in a ROM, or
booted off of a disk, or perhaps place in a replacement OS ROM) that would
know how to talk to it.  (Not unlike the MUX cartridges.)

This would no doubt conflict with various assortments of software out there.

Cool idea, though.

-bill!

USB cartridge, schematics now available

Post by Mathy van Nisselro » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 19:03:30

Howdy Bill, folks

Quote:> The nice thing about SIO2PC (vs., say, a cartridge solution like this one
> sounds like) is that the Atari doesn't need to do anything special to
> talk to it.  SIO2PC and APE connect to the SIO port on the Atari and
> emulate standard peripherals.

Well, the Sio2IDE interface version 4.0 has a USB port too.  Maybe that can
be used as some kind of SIO2PC interface.

CU                    Mathy van Nisselroy

1. SID System for Atari Schematics Available

I have completed entering 6 of my 7 pages of handwritten schematics into
Xfig and have generated PostScript and PDF copies of them, available on my
website for download:

http://www.atari-central.com/hardware/projects/sid_system/

There are no pin numbers yet.  I will hopefully add them this week.

Next step is building a prototype.... on breadboard. :-)

- D

http://www.atari-central.com

2. Money 2003 Deluxe will NOT OPEN

3. Atari 810 - Are schematics available

4. Administrate win2k server from workstation

5. Austin 80 Right Cartridge Schematic...

6. matlab demo trial

7. Rampage! available on cartridge....

8. Credit Card Payment or Transfer?

9. Ace-of-Aces cartridge available

10. Is Action only available on cartridge ?

11. First USB Device Driver Development Kit Disk online

12. USB SIO2PC?

13. SIO <-> USB