non-standard 3.5" disk drive

Post by Jeff Pott » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 08:09:30

I've just recently picked up a 3.5" disk drive (Sony MP-F52W-50, out
of an old HP 9122 dual drive "box").  I have the CSS XF551 conversion,
which should allow me to use this drive.  But it's not standard.  The
Sony expects power (+12, +5V) on the 34-pin cable, not four separate
pins.  So I wired it up correctly.  Now at least the drive spins up,
but I am unable to read, write, or format a disk.  I have the slide
switch in the right position (otherwise it doesn't even spin up on
power-up, or when I send a command to the XF551), and I'm only trying
to use DSDD (720K) disks.

Can anyone point me to schematics or documentation on this Sony unit?
Or maybe the standard 34-pin connector's pinout?

Thanks in advance!

--
Jeff Potter

1. *Help* I need to make a non-standard text file standard.

I really hope someone can help me out on this problem.  About half way into
a programmin project, I have encountered a problem that I can not seem to
get around.

I normally use Personal Pascal, but in this case that is what seems to be
causing the problem.  I need to read a non-standard text file (the lines
are seperated by 10 ($0A), which is an LF, rather than 13/10, which would
be a carriage/return LF.  The reason this is causing so many problems is that
Personal Pascal (ReadLn) expects a perfect, standard file.

So, does anyone have C source code to read in each byte of a file, and
write the data to a different file (inserting a carriage return where it
should be in the new file).  I have Sozobon C 1.33i so I will be able to
compile programs people offer.  C is not my specialty though (which you
probably guessed since I have to ask for help on such a simple problem).

I tried to write a program to do this myself (in Pascal) using the fread()
and fwrite() calls.  This gave me an excellent copy file utility, but it
would not recognize the LF.  When I looked into the actual data being used,
I got some very strange results.  It seems as if each byte in the file
buffer was representing two characters instead of one, which resulted in
numeric values that did not match when compared to what I was expecting).
When I wrote the file to the disk, though, it came out in good condition.
I would feel better doing this in C, but I'll certainly keep trying to
determine why each bytes represents two characters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and code would be even better).

Thanks!

--
<<  -----------------------------------------  >>

<<  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  >>
<<               Michel Forget                 >>
<<   The Key:  Spirit over mind over matter.   >>
<<  -----------------------------------------  >>

2. Thank You CBM

3. Non-standard disks in Pacifist

4. weasel filtering

5. How do you fix an atari 3.5" disk drive?

6. Printers

7. Wanted : Atari St Disk Drive 3.5" 720kb

8. QNX4.25 show_pci problems

9. 3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

10. 720K 3.5" Disk Drive

11. How do you fix an atari 3.5" disk drive?

12. Wanted: 800K 3.5" disk drive(s)

13. 2.5" drives in 3.5" spaces