Modifying a Mitsumi floppy drive

Modifying a Mitsumi floppy drive

Post by Alyre Chiasso » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00



I have in the past been able to modify the Mitsumi D359T6 but am
currently
struggling with the D359T3. The first thing I did was to short the media
change
pin. The T3 model has a series of 2 rows of six pins
next to the power plug which I assume sets the ID. I have tried removing
them all with no luck.  The drive
doesn't even light up. I haven't connected the HD pin to pin 2 as I was
wondering if that was necessary if it is to be used as a 720K drive. To
the side of what I think is the ID jumpers, there is a diagram that
looks like this:

             2    0

                1

The outline resembles the letter "T". However, I am not sure whether it
represents the ID and jumper settings to start with, or how to read it.
I have turned the connector cable around so the pin 1 on the ribbon
cable is matched to pin one on the drive. Everything would seem to be in
order but I am not sure about the drive ID. I can't find a site on the
web which gives the settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alyre Chiasson

 
 
 

Modifying a Mitsumi floppy drive

Post by Paul Matthew » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Hi Alyre

I too am struggling with this drive at the moment, I have contacted
Mitsumi Support but surprise, surprise I havent had an answer yet.

You mentioned in your post that you shorted the media change pin -
excuse my lack of knowledge why? and how?

I want to use the drive as an external high density drive for my TT030.

I have spent a number of hours messing with jumper setting on this
drive - and no luck so far.

How did you modify the D359T6 I have changed the jumpers on this model
the drive is seen and the light comes on with disk access but it will
not read any disks - always get an error.

I would also appreciate any help in getting these drives



Quote:> I have in the past been able to modify the Mitsumi D359T6 but am
> currently
> struggling with the D359T3. The first thing I did was to short the
media
> change
> pin. The T3 model has a series of 2 rows of six pins
> next to the power plug which I assume sets the ID. I have tried
removing
> them all with no luck.  The drive
> doesn't even light up. I haven't connected the HD pin to pin 2 as I
was
> wondering if that was necessary if it is to be used as a 720K drive.
To
> the side of what I think is the ID jumpers, there is a diagram that
> looks like this:

>              2    0

>                 1

> The outline resembles the letter "T". However, I am not sure whether
it
> represents the ID and jumper settings to start with, or how to read
it.
> I have turned the connector cable around so the pin 1 on the ribbon
> cable is matched to pin one on the drive. Everything would seem to be
in
> order but I am not sure about the drive ID. I can't find a site on the
> web which gives the settings.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks

> Alyre Chiasson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Modifying a Mitsumi floppy drive

Post by Alyre Chiasso » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Hi,

Hang in there for a while. Mitsumi is going to fax me the jumper
settings for the floppy drive, hopefully today. It would be more
informative if I emailed you after I am sure I have the drive set to 0
and tried a few other things. Hopefully, I will have it working.

Alyre


> Hi Alyre

> I too am struggling with this drive at the moment, I have contacted
> Mitsumi Support but surprise, surprise I havent had an answer yet.

> You mentioned in your post that you shorted the media change pin -
> excuse my lack of knowledge why? and how?

> I want to use the drive as an external high density drive for my TT030.

> I have spent a number of hours messing with jumper setting on this
> drive - and no luck so far.

> How did you modify the D359T6 I have changed the jumpers on this model
> the drive is seen and the light comes on with disk access but it will
> not read any disks - always get an error.

> I would also appreciate any help in getting these drives



> > I have in the past been able to modify the Mitsumi D359T6 but am
> > currently
> > struggling with the D359T3. The first thing I did was to short the
> media
> > change
> > pin. The T3 model has a series of 2 rows of six pins
> > next to the power plug which I assume sets the ID. I have tried
> removing
> > them all with no luck.  The drive
> > doesn't even light up. I haven't connected the HD pin to pin 2 as I
> was
> > wondering if that was necessary if it is to be used as a 720K drive.
> To
> > the side of what I think is the ID jumpers, there is a diagram that
> > looks like this:

> >              2    0

> >                 1

> > The outline resembles the letter "T". However, I am not sure whether
> it
> > represents the ID and jumper settings to start with, or how to read
> it.
> > I have turned the connector cable around so the pin 1 on the ribbon
> > cable is matched to pin one on the drive. Everything would seem to be
> in
> > order but I am not sure about the drive ID. I can't find a site on the
> > web which gives the settings.

> > Any ideas?

> > Thanks

> > Alyre Chiasson

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

Modifying a Mitsumi floppy drive

Post by Paul Matthew » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00




Quote:> Hi,

> Hang in there for a while. Mitsumi is going to fax me the jumper
> settings for the floppy drive, hopefully today. It would be more
> informative if I emailed you after I am sure I have the drive set to 0
> and tried a few other things. Hopefully, I will have it working.

Hi Alyre

Many thanks I look forward to receiving your e-mail just to recap I
want to set the drive as 0 and use it as an external high density drive.

Many thanks

Paul

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

1. Mitsumi Floppy Drive-replacement 1040ST drive

I need to replace the floppy drive in my 1040ST and have picked up a
Mitsumi D359T3. I understand you can use a 1.4 MEG drive but will only
be able to read and format 720k, which is okay for my use. I have found
the jumper settings on the internet for this model. However, they give
what they call numeric codes and alphabetical codes and twisted cable
and straight cable for both A and B. What are these? I was expecting
settings for just plain A or B.  I have also heard that you have to
reverse the cable in the 1040ST from what you would normally expect. Is
this correct? How do I arrange the pin alignment? Perhaps this drive
won't even work?

Thanks for the help.

Alyre Chiasson

2. howto archive all incoming and outgoing emails

3. ***Help Figuring Out Atari 810 Modified Drive***

4. bad mail box?

5. Floppy drive rigged to external floppy port?

6. xtop.exe is taking up 99% of my resources?

7. Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal Mega floppy connector?

8. WM_QUERYENDSESSION and WM_ENDSESSION problem

9. want to modify pc-1.44 diskdrive to st drive

10. 1050 modified drive, what is it?

11. Mitsumi CDROM FX001 & ST ?

12. Hard Drive/ Floppy Drive Combo System US$60!

13. Looking for modem, floppy drive and hard drive