Why isn′t possible to let work a Iomega Zip-drive Parallel on an Atari ST

Why isn′t possible to let work a Iomega Zip-drive Parallel on an Atari ST

Tell me why ?

Post by Uwe Seime » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Tell me why ?

Because the parallel port doesn't supply all signals you need. And even the ST
hardware supported this there wouldn't be any drivers. A parallel ZIP is much
slower then a SCSI one so for the ST a parellel ZIP is nonsense. If you want to
use a ZIP drive with the Atari and with a PC you can use the SCSI version on
both. There are lots of SCSI controllers for the PC.
*           Uwe Seimet              | I really hate this damned machine,  *
*                                   |     I wish that they would sell it. *

*      WWW: http://acp5.chemie.uni-kl.de/seimet/index.html                *

Post by Thomas Holmbom I » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> Tell me why ?
>Because the parallel port doesn't supply all signals you need. And even the ST
>hardware supported this there wouldn't be any drivers. A parallel ZIP is much
>slower then a SCSI one so for the ST a parellel ZIP is nonsense. If you want to
>use a ZIP drive with the Atari and with a PC you can use the SCSI version on
>both. There are lots of SCSI controllers for the PC.

I know my trusty old Atari doesn't have a ECP or EPP chipset, but doesn't
it even have a standard bi-directional printer port? Sure it's slow, but
it should work!?!

TH-96

Why isn′t possible to let work a Iomega Zip-drive Parallel on an Atari ST

Post by Thomas Bind » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

#>>Because the parallel port doesn't supply all signals you need. And even the ST
#>>hardware supported this there wouldn't be any drivers. A parallel ZIP is much
#>>slower then a SCSI one so for the ST a parellel ZIP is nonsense. If you want to
#>>use a ZIP drive with the Atari and with a PC you can use the SCSI version on
#>>both. There are lots of SCSI controllers for the PC.
#>I know my trusty old Atari doesn't have a ECP or EPP chipset, but doesn't
#>it even have a standard bi-directional printer port? Sure it's slow, but
#>it should work!?!
No, just as Uwe has already said: The ST's parallel port does not have all
the necessary signals connected, so it _can't_ work. The parallel port of
the Ataris is not fully compatible to those of PCs.

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (IRCNick: Gryf)                | "Quick to judge, quick to
Johann-Valentin-May-Strasse 7                |  anger, slow to understand,

PGP-key available on request!                |                           Rush

Why isn′t possible to let work a Iomega Zip-drive Parallel on an Atari ST

Post by Patrik Edbe » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Tell me why ?

This is an easy one.

The printer port of the Atari does NOT contaian all connections that a pc
computer has, such as lines fore messages from the printer (out of paper etc.).

there you have, black on grey.

Why isn′t possible to let work a Iomega Zip-drive Parallel on an Atari ST

Post by Susan Richard » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I know my trusty old Atari doesn't have a ECP or EPP chipset, but doesn't
> it even have a standard bi-directional printer port? Sure it's slow, but
> it should work!?!

The printer port on the 520 and 1040STs and STes (and I think on the Mega
STs as well) are all output buffered, so that data can only flow in one
direction.  I don't remember for sure, but I think the MegaEs and TT's
may be this way as well.  I don't believe the Falcon is like this though.
 I believe it has a bidirectional port, though I haven't looked into that
aspect of the Falcon closely enough to tell for sure; this is based on
vaguely remembered hearsay.

Later,
Gizmo

%
%The printer port on the 520 and 1040STs and STes (and I think on the Mega
%STs as well) are all output buffered, so that data can only flow in one
%direction.  I don't remember for sure, but I think the MegaEs and TT's
%may be this way as well.  I don't believe the Falcon is like this though.
% I believe it has a bidirectional port, though I haven't looked into that
%aspect of the Falcon closely enough to tell for sure; this is based on
%vaguely remembered hearsay.

Wrong, the parallel port on all STs is bidirectional. However, the port is
missing a number of signal lines which are unnecessary for printing, but
required for the handshaking used in most PC bidirectional communication
schemes. The Falcon provides a few more handshake signals, but I don't recall
if that brings it up to PC standard or not.
--
Howard Chu                              Principal Member of Technical Staff