Falcon, Falcon who has got a Falcon

Post by My name is Joe O'Conn » Sun, 10 Jan 1993 05:04:50

Well here it is January 8th and has anybody anywhere seen a Falcon for sale
at a dealer.

BTW: I am not some Amiga fan I just seem to remember this happening before with
the ST Book, ST Pad, TT etc....

Later

Falcon, Falcon who has got a Falcon

Post by Herbert Martin Sau » Mon, 11 Jan 1993 02:51:29

Quote:>Well here it is January 8th and has anybody anywhere seen a Falcon for sale
>at a dealer.

>BTW: I am not some Amiga fan I just seem to remember this happening before with
>the ST Book, etc

It's fairly well advertised here in the UK, Gods knows if you can buy one
though.

Herb
--
/******************************************************************************

Biological Sciences                              phone: +44 970 622353
Univesity College of Wales

Post by Kevin J. Klasmei » Mon, 11 Jan 1993 04:22:54

>>Well here it is January 8th and has anybody anywhere seen a Falcon for sale
>>at a dealer.

>>BTW: I am not some Amiga fan I just seem to remember this happening before with
>>the ST Book, etc

>It's fairly well advertised here in the UK, Gods knows if you can buy one
>though.

I just read the transcript from FRIDAY's RTC on GEnie (With Bob Brodie).

He said the sub-contractor has not been meeting the Q/A or production
requirements.

"The number of the machines coming from this factory that have fail
diagnostic tests is completely unacceptable to Sam. He is _angry_ about
this, as producing Atari Falcon030s is a paramount importance to us."

He said there was going to be a meeting this monday with the factory do
discuss the problems.

He is meeting with other sub-contractors so the can produce the
FALCON030's in parallel with the "failing" factory.

Because of  this, don't expect significant shipments until MARCH when
the planned mass advertising campaign is suppost to be launched.

There are about 19 different mags which are suppose to have announcement
and or reviews about the Falcon030. they include:

Appplied Techniques - Business week - Byte - CNN - Computer Retail Week
- Computer Technology - Computing NOW (sounds like a radical feminist
group ;^> ) - Datamation - Design News - E. Q. Magazine - EDN NEWS -
Eyecom Magazine - Keyboard (of course!) - Motorola DSP News letter -
MultiMedia World - New Media - Newsbytes - Notworthy - PC Laptop
Computers - Scientific Computering and Automation - Studio Software
report - And "a bunch of others..."

Oh BTW, for the STReport readers:

FCC Approvial number for the Atari Falcon030 is: EBAF030ST - application
dated Sept 18, 1992 - granted Nov. 5, 1992.

Get one of the online mags, they will have a full transcript of the
confrence....

                  +------------------------------------+_
                  | *> Kevin Klasmeier                 | |

                  | *> GEnie: K.Klasmeier              | |
                  | {Cincinnati, Ohio in the US of A}  | |
                  +------------------------------------+ |
                   '-------------------------------------'

Post by William Hargreav » Sun, 17 Jan 1993 00:33:10

: >>Well here it is January 8th and has anybody anywhere seen a Falcon for sale
: >>at a dealer.
: >>
: >>BTW: I am not some Amiga fan I just seem to remember this happening before with
: >>the ST Book, etc
: >
:
[...]
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumours have it that Atari were all set to release the Falcon before Christmas
but a last minute decision was made by atari not to when they saw the Graphics
spec. of the new A1200.  They are apparently with-holding the machine will they
soup it up so as it can compete with the A1200.

Will

Falcon, Falcon who has got a Falcon

Post by John Hutchins » Sun, 17 Jan 1993 08:20:42

Quote:

>Rumours have it that Atari were all set to release the Falcon before Christmas
>but a last minute decision was made by atari not to when they saw the Graphics
>spec. of the new A1200.  They are apparently with-holding the machine will they
>soup it up so as it can compete with the A1200.

While this is a popular rumor it just isn't the case.  According to Bob
Brodie's conference on GEnie this week, the delay is due to the poor quality
control of the current assembly line contractor.  Too many units were failing
to meet specs.  Supposedly this has now been worked out (or is in the process
of being worked out).

It would be nice to think that the delay is due to a secret graphics wonderchip
that they decided to install in the last minute but alas, it ain't so.  This
falls into the same category of the rumors that the Falcon is delayed because
they decided to put it in a TT-like case.  Sorry, not yet folks.  <sigh>

---

___________________________ John "HUTCH" Hutchinson _________________________
_________________ Fair Dinkum Technologies     Member - IAAD  _______________
________________ "No worries, mate... it's from Fair Dinkum!" _______________

Post by sheppar.. » Mon, 18 Jan 1993 20:19:55

>It would be nice to think that the delay is due to a secret graphics wonderchip
>that they decided to install in the last minute but alas, it ain't so.  This
>falls into the same category of the rumors that the Falcon is delayed because
>they decided to put it in a TT-like case.  Sorry, not yet folks.  <sigh>

>___________________________ John "HUTCH" Hutchinson _________________________
>_________________ Fair Dinkum Technologies     Member - IAAD  _______________
>________________ "No worries, mate... it's from Fair Dinkum!" _______________

Na, I thought it was because the were having trouble with printing on the
Boxes..:-).

Do you realy believe all this BULL John, Don't forget about the 3 years
of BULL that we got about FSMGDOS, CDROMS, MIDITASKING, HARDDRIVES, WORDUP,
LDWPOWER, it goes on and on.... !!

Post by Graham Thom » Wed, 20 Jan 1993 02:18:26

Quote:> While this is a popular rumor it just isn't the case.  According to Bob
> Brodie's conference on GEnie this week, the delay is due to the poor quality
> control of the current assembly line contractor.  Too many units were failing
> to meet specs.  Supposedly this has now been worked out (or is in the process
> of being worked out).

There was a story in the current issue of the UK mag ST Applications
that in fact the Falcons were OK, but the *test equipment* was faulty.
Atari junked a whole batch of good Falcons before they realised.

Maybe this is apocryphal, but it's a good story anyway.

Does anyone have access to Taiwanese rubbish dumps?

Graham

Falcon, Falcon who has got a Falcon

Post by John Hutchins » Thu, 21 Jan 1993 04:56:19

<stuff deleted...>

Quote:>Do you realy believe all this BULL John, Don't forget about the 3 years
>of BULL that we got about FSMGDOS, CDROMS, MIDITASKING, HARDDRIVES, WORDUP,
>LDWPOWER, it goes on and on.... !!

No Roger, I do NOT believe the rumors about delayed Falcons due to "improved
graphics" or "new case" or any one of a hundred other rumors.  That was my
whole point.  The original Falcon specs we have all read and debated is still
pretty much what you will see *when* the birds finally ship in quantity.
---

___________________________ John "HUTCH" Hutchinson _________________________
_________________ Fair Dinkum Technologies     Member - IAAD  _______________
________________ "No worries, mate... it's from Fair Dinkum!" _______________

Falcon, Falcon who has got a Falcon

Post by William Hargreav » Fri, 22 Jan 1993 04:40:26

Why have Atari made the Falcon a 32-bit machine with only a 16-bit data bus.
Surely, this will mean it only runs half as fast as it should.

Will

Falcon, Falcon who has got a Falcon

Post by John Hutchins » Sat, 23 Jan 1993 01:40:42

Quote:>Why have Atari made the Falcon a 32-bit machine with only a 16-bit data bus.
>Surely, this will mean it only runs half as fast as it should.

Oh, please... let's don't open THIS can of worms again!  :)

Don't sweat it, Will.  It was an economic/marketing decision by Atari (perhaps
not one of their better ones).  The machine is still plenty fast and should
only be of concern to those who base their lives around numbers.
---

Post by Joern M » Sat, 23 Jan 1993 07:48:46

Quote:>Why have Atari made the Falcon a 32-bit machine with only a 16-bit data bus.
>Surely, this will mean it only runs half as fast as it should.

It may seem like it only would run at half of what it could, but the
68030 is designed to perform at 100% when in async mode. That is 3 clock
cycles for each longword access on a 32 bit bus. However, when in sync
mode it uses 2clock cycles for each longword access on a 32 bit bus.
This means that the bus has owercapacity (i.e. the bus will be idle
every third (on an average) clock cycle. In the falcon they use sync
mode on a 16 bit bus. This gives a 4 clock cycle for each longword
access to the bus. This implies a 25% reduction in performance, not 50%.

These days the atari and amiga people are arguing which computer have
the fastest cpu (Falcon 030 versus A1200). The 68030 have better performance
than a 68020 when placed in an equal arcitecture. Additionaly the A1200 runs
at 14.4 Mhz, wheras the F030 runs at 16Mhz (i realy think its 16.01xxxMhz)
giving it a extra 10% over the A1200. Summing it all up, my bet is that
this is a dead race!

Is this the fifth or fif*th time I wrote this story?
May someone (spellcheck it and) add this too the FAQ???
 / Joern F. Moe /  All above is my own personal opinion! \
/ Oslo, Norway /  Any lack of opinion above is also mine! \

Post by Warwick Allis » Sat, 23 Jan 1993 09:35:48

>Why have Atari made the Falcon a 32-bit machine with only a 16-bit data bus.
>Surely, this will mean it only runs half as fast as it should.

No.

Certainly, a 32-bit CPU <-> RAM databus is superior to the 16-bit bus,
but "half as fast" is far from accurate...

You see, the CPU doesn't spend all it's time accessing memory.  Many
instructions involve no memory access at all.  Others access memory,
but also spend a lot of time processing the instruction.  And if an
instruction or data is already in the on-chip cache, it will be just as
fast regardless of the bus width.

A 16-bit bus is slower than a 32-bit bus, but it is also cheaper - just
as the architecture for a 16MHz chip is much cheaper than for a 32MHz
chip.

--
Warwick

 /     * <-- Computer Science Department,   ||||||   Atari Machine-Specific   |
 \_.-._/     University of Queensland,    _// || \\_   C++ game library       |
_____ v ____ Brisbane, Australia. ______ |_/  ||  \_| ________________________|

1. Falcon, falcon, falcon

I will be buying a Falcon very soon (hooray!), but what I want to know is:
When will they be officially UK released? None of the shops I've been to
even know its coming out yet!! Also, how much can I expect to pay? STF said
that the standard Falcon would be 400 pounds, but all adverts I've seen are
selling it for 500 pounds...Is this because they're imports?

Someone wrote to this group saying that alot of ST owners won't be spending
money on a Falcon, since they'll be losing the ST games...well, I'm getting
a Falcon, and I have over 100 ORIGINAL games..I'm just glad Stunt Car Racer
and Dungeon Master work!

Anyone know whether or not Oids, Microprose Grand Prix, Microprose Golf
and Dogs Of War work?

Martin

PS I will be writing games for the Falcon :)

2. Compilation error

3. Getting inside the Falcon ???

4. Domain Trusts

5. Australian Falcon - It just gets better ...

6. Problems Day 2 from The Olympiad in Informatics

7. FYI: MS Directory Server is now OFFLINE!

8. Falcon on a Falcon!

9. Falcon Keyboard Getting Tired?

10. falcon manual needed and falcon ftp sites ??

11. Bad Falcon problem solved (was:HELP Bad falcon problem)

12. Falcon Game Developer Support (was Doom for falcon?)