Writing ST floppies on a SUN SparcStation (Need help).

Writing ST floppies on a SUN SparcStation (Need help).

Post by Ray Holle » Sat, 23 Jun 1990 19:57:00

I am attempting to use a SUN Sparc Station 1 to put files from the Net onto
720k floppy disks for use on my ST. I have been using the MTOOLS (with the
3 patches) software to write PC compatible files on the SUN, but these are
not correctly read by the ST.
The files seem to be OK when read on a PC, but on the ST the first couple of
sectors are repeated thoughout the file. I suspect that there is a problem
with the FAT formats used; can anybody explain the problem or suggest a fix.

--

Ray Hollett, RT7431, British Telecom Research Labs, Suffolk, England.

Post by Bill Sheppa » Wed, 27 Jun 1990 05:17:53

>...I have been using the MTOOLS (with the
>3 patches) software to write PC compatible files on the SUN, but these are
>not correctly read by the ST.
>The files seem to be OK when read on a PC, but on the ST the first couple of
>sectors are repeated thoughout the file. I suspect that there is a problem
>with the FAT formats used; can anybody explain the problem or suggest a fix.
>Ray Hollett, RT7431, British Telecom Research Labs, Suffolk, England.

I've seen the same thing when using OS-9's PC File Manager to write PC-
compatible disks - when looked at on the ST the directory looks fine, but
the same sector or few sectors are repeated throughout the file. I can copy
the file to a real PC, delete the file, and re-copy back to the disk and then
my ST can read it. Any ideas what might produce this behavior?

Bill Sheppard
Microware Systems Corp.

Post by Ge Weije » Thu, 05 Jul 1990 17:28:35

>I've seen the same thing when using OS-9's PC File Manager to write PC-
>compatible disks - when looked at on the ST the directory looks fine, but
>the same sector or few sectors are repeated throughout the file. I can copy
>the file to a real PC, delete the file, and re-copy back to the disk and then
>my ST can read it. Any ideas what might produce this behavior?

What did you use to format those disks. If you use TOS all bets are off.
Better use a PC.

Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)
University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1         tel. +3180612483 (UTC+1,
6525 ED Nijmegen, the Netherlands               UTC+2 march/september

Post by Ralph P. Sob » Wed, 25 Jul 1990 21:27:39

|   I am attempting to use a SUN Sparc Station 1 to put files from the Net onto
|   720k floppy disks for use on my ST. I have been using the MTOOLS (with the
|   3 patches) software to write PC compatible files on the SUN, but these are
|   not correctly read by the ST.

Even PC applications will break and not be able to read the floppies.

|   The files seem to be OK when read on a PC, but on the ST the first couple of
|   sectors are repeated thoughout the file. I suspect that there is a problem
|   with the FAT formats used; can anybody explain the problem or suggest a fix.

I have found two problems with MTools formatting and updating of FATs.
MTools 1) creates by default an all-blanks volume-id (which breaks the
gulam shell, for instance), and 2) does not update the second FAT
after writes (a simple #undef to #define problem).  So here is my
unofficial Patch4 to mtools which is 100 % compatible with PCs and STs
(at least for me!).  Yes, there are a few residual problems with
MTools.

By the way, do you STers ever use `patch' on your ST to update sources
from USENET?  I recently used it to update Sozobon 1.2 according to
the patches posted in comp.sys.atari.st.  It's great!  It was written
by John R. Dunning.  Maybe someone should post an updated version to
the net.

*** ./init.c    Thu Jun 14 13:01:58 1990
--- 1.6.2/init.c        Tue May 29 17:41:27 1990
***************
*** 11,17 ****
  #include "devices.h"
  #include "msdos.h"

! #define DUP_FAT

  extern int fd, dir_len, dir_start, clus_size, fat_len, num_clus;
  extern unsigned char *fatbuf;
--- 11,17 ----
  #include "devices.h"
  #include "msdos.h"

! /* #undef DUP_FAT */

  extern int fd, dir_len, dir_start, clus_size, fat_len, num_clus;
  extern unsigned char *fatbuf;
*** ./mkdfs.c   Thu Jun 14 12:39:04 1990
--- 1.6.2/mkdfs.c       Wed Jun  6 10:55:32 1990
***************
*** 95,108 ****
      for( sec=fat_len; --sec ; )
        Write(fd,buf,MSECSIZ) ;  /* Rest of FAT */
    }
!   if (strncmp(disklabel,"           ",11) != 0) {
!       strcpy(((struct directory *)buf)->name,disklabel) ;
!       ((struct directory *)buf)->attr= VOLLBL ;
!       Write(fd,buf,MSECSIZ) ;  /* Root dir */
!       bzero(buf,strlen(disklabel)) ;
!       ((struct directory *)buf)->attr= 0 ;
!   }
!   else dir_len++ ;
    for( ; --dir_len ; )
--- 95,105 ----
      for( sec=fat_len; --sec ; )
        Write(fd,buf,MSECSIZ) ;  /* Rest of FAT */
    }
!   strcpy(((struct directory *)buf)->name,disklabel) ;
!   ((struct directory *)buf)->attr= VOLLBL ;
!   Write(fd,buf,MSECSIZ) ;  /* Root dir */
!   bzero(buf,strlen(disklabel)) ;
!   ((struct directory *)buf)->attr= 0 ;
    for( ; --dir_len ; )
      Write(fd,buf,MSECSIZ) ;  /* Root dir */
  }

Cheers,

--
Ralph P. Sobek                    Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.

Reliable software should kill people reliably! -Andy Mickel, Pascal News #13,78

Writing ST floppies on a SUN SparcStation (Need help).

Post by Colas Nahab » Thu, 26 Jul 1990 23:45:44

My solution to this problem is that I have written small ST programs to
convert to/from floppies made on unix by "tar cfv /dev/floppy ."
into ST disks.

They have no docs, but I could be persuaded to post them if there is enough
interest.

Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager

INRIA - Sophia Antipolis, 2004, rte des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE

Writing ST floppies on a SUN SparcStation (Need help).

Post by Stefan Loes » Fri, 27 Jul 1990 09:27:04

I'm just writing a set of prgs. that'll do that:
        read, write atari st floppys on unix machines
Also included are utilities to show the bootsector, directory and fat.
What you need for it is basically a UNIX machine that has a 3 1/2 inch
floppydrive and is capable of formatting floppys for the PC/XT 3 1/2 inch
DS, 80 tracks, 9 sectors.

The programs are in a raw state, that means they are running,
but are not documented, not fully tested and will ocasionally dump core
when confronted with yet another new situation. AND I WILL
NOT GIVE OUT COPYS BEFORE I CONSIDER THEM READY FOR BETA TEST.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES.

I'm not sure how I will make them available (shareware ? public domain ?
freeware ?), but I'll decide the next couple of weeks.

The set should be ready in about one to two months (depending on how
often my wife lets me switch on power on my computer :-) ).

Hope that helps

Stefan

Writing ST floppies on a SUN SparcStation (Need help).

Post by Scott Yeli » Fri, 27 Jul 1990 11:14:25

Quote:>My solution to this problem is that I have written small ST programs to
>convert to/from floppies made on unix by "tar cfv /dev/floppy ."
>into ST disks.

Well, the patches posted a while ago didn't help me...

For me, at least, Mtools STILL creates corrupted disks...

I would appreciate a version of Mtools that actually works!
(Wanna send me a tar of YOUR version that actually WORKS?)

Or, even this program would be helpful...

Thanks!

Post by Stefan Rughoe » Fri, 27 Jul 1990 18:19:05

>My solution to this problem is that I have written small ST programs to
>convert to/from floppies made on unix by "tar cfv /dev/floppy ."
>into ST disks.

>They have no docs, but I could be persuaded to post them if there is enough
>interest.

>Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager

>INRIA - Sophia Antipolis, 2004, rte des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE

Please submit these utils either to c.[s,b].a.s or to terminator and post
info about your submission here.

Many ThanX,

HuGo

-------- ONLY USE addresses below, nothing from the News-Header !!! ----------
   Stefan Rughoeft is HuGo, hugo or just hug and can be reached through:
X.400:      <S=rughoeft,OU=fokus,OU=berlin,P=gmd,A=dbp,C=de>

UUCP:       [[...!uunet]!mcsun]!unido!fokus.berlin.gmd.dbp.de!rughoeft

Post by Colas Nahab » Sat, 28 Jul 1990 18:50:36

> >My solution to this problem is that I have written small ST programs to
> >convert to/from floppies made on unix by "tar cfv /dev/floppy ."
> >into ST disks.
> Please submit these utils either to c.[s,b].a.s or to terminator and post
> info about your submission here.

In my opinion, they are not "polished" enough to warrant such official
postings, so I just posted them in comp.sys.atari.st.tech.

If users find them useful enough, I may put them on terminator, but I
would rather have some GEM expert clean up my code before :-)

Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager

INRIA - Sophia Antipolis, 2004, rte des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE

1. Writing ST floppies on a SUN SparcSt

|My solution to this problem is that I have written small ST programs to
|convert to/from floppies made on unix by "tar cfv /dev/floppy ."
|into ST disks.
|
|They have no docs, but I could be persuaded to post them if there is enough
|interest.

It would be nice....

Thanx..

--
============================================================================#

#                    Bang:..!tmpmbx!unlisys!image!mist!woju                 #
============================================================================#

2. WindML/UGL PC BIOS with S3

3. transferring floppies between an ST and a SPARCstation

4. Namespace extension and CoInitialize?

5. SPARCstation floppy drive (again)

6. Netmeeting on home network

7. HELP: I need details of the Power Supply on the SF354 ST floppy Drive

8. how to read utf-8 with std::wifstream

9. I need help reading old Atari ST floppies

10. Mtools & non-standard formatted DOS floppies on a Sun workstation

11. Writing MiNT XFS : Help needed with memory management

12. Floppies: Sun to Atari

13. Need help with writing MIDI software