Speeding floppy->hardrive transfer

Post by DAVID YAMMOU » Wed, 13 Apr 1994 16:42:45

Dear All
I hope that someone can help me with a problem.  I remember seeing at an
archive site a program which would speed the process of copying files from
an ST floppy drive to a harddrive on TOS versions 1.0 & 1.2.  I currently
have an ADSCSI host adaptor with a Quantem ELS 127s harddrive and I find that
copying files from floppy to any partition above D or E takes forever!

If anyone does know of such a program, please e-mail me at the address
below or post to this news group.

Many thanks
David Yammouni
Technical Officer
Monash University
Australia

Speeding floppy->hardrive transfer

Post by anis » Wed, 13 Apr 1994 20:56:42

Quote:>Dear All
>I hope that someone can help me with a problem.  I remember seeing at an
>archive site a program which would speed the process of copying files from
>an ST floppy drive to a harddrive on TOS versions 1.0 & 1.2.  I currently
>have an ADSCSI host adaptor with a Quantem ELS 127s harddrive and I find that
>copying files from floppy to any partition above D or E takes forever!

    You might be thinking about the program FATSPEED which anyone
with TOS 1.0/1.2 should have.  It makes using the harddrive actually
usable.  It's not specific to simply "between hard drive and floppy"
but speeds up hard disk access in general.  It, and other useful
stuff (like Pinhead 2.1, which speeds up some loading into memory
of programs) can be found at atari.archive.umich.edu and other
popular sites...

--

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<| "Some say the glass is half full,

 Robert J. Anisko  ---  R.ANISKO (GEnie)    |  some say it is half empty,

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<|  twice as big as it should be..."

Post by Roger Sheppar » Thu, 14 Apr 1994 09:12:30

>Dear All
>I hope that someone can help me with a problem.  I remember seeing at an
>archive site a program which would speed the process of copying files from
>an ST floppy drive to a harddrive on TOS versions 1.0 & 1.2.  I currently
>have an ADSCSI host adaptor with a Quantem ELS 127s harddrive and I find that
>copying files from floppy to any partition above D or E takes forever!
>David Yammouni

The Best any only way is to get 1.4 ROMS fitted, from what I have read FATSPEED
does not speed up the Floppies only the Hard Drive...

Also you will ne amazed at the new features that TOS 1.4 has...

There are many Dealer is OZZ that can supply TOS 1.4 Roms....

                                        GEnie   -  r.sheppard5

Post by Hallvard Tanger » Thu, 14 Apr 1994 11:29:19

> The Best any only way is to get 1.4 ROMS fitted, from what I have read FATSPEED
> does not speed up the Floppies only the Hard Drive...

> Also you will ne amazed at the new features that TOS 1.4 has...

> There are many Dealer is OZZ that can supply TOS 1.4 Roms....

>                                         GEnie   -  r.sheppard5

Why not go all the way to TOS 2.06? I have an STE and the change from "Rainbow TOS"
(I think it's 1.6) to 2.06 is amazing. I just feel like I can't do anything on a
machine with anything less than that now. There are really a lot of great features
in it.

Hallvard, Oslo, Norway

Post by Howard C » Thu, 14 Apr 1994 14:40:45

>> The Best any only way is to get 1.4 ROMS fitted, from what I have read FATSPEED
>> does not speed up the Floppies only the Hard Drive...
>Why not go all the way to TOS 2.06? I have an STE and the change from "Rainbow TOS"
>(I think it's 1.6) to 2.06 is amazing. I just feel like I can't do anything on a
>machine with anything less than that now. There are really a lot of great features
>in it.

I would agree, but it appears to me that Gauntlet II (one of my favorite games
of all time) doesn't work with 2.06 installed. Lord knows why, I doubt that it
even uses the TOS for anything.
--

                Poets measure meters in feet.

Speeding floppy->hardrive transfer

Post by Christoph Ober » Thu, 14 Apr 1994 17:25:50

Generally, if you want to transfer files as quickly as possible,
the best way is the "Kobold" file copy program. With this software,
files aren't copied seperately, but "all in one" (I don't want
to explain it more detailed here).

If you use one of the alternative desktops Gemini 1.99 or Ease 3.0
and if you have Kobold >=2.0, you can even configure the desktop
to use Kobold and not GEMDOS operations to copy/delete/move files.
That way, you don't need to start a separate program to get a maximum
transfer speed.

Kobold is also able to interpret own batch files. Ex.: an automatic
backup of all *.c-files on partition D:.

So this program contains new GEMDOS routines and also replaces a file
copy, a disk copy and a backup program.

I just don't know whether there is an english version or if it is
available at all outside Germany.

Christoph

Speeding floppy->hardrive transfer

Post by Ofir Ga » Fri, 15 Apr 1994 03:30:09

Quote:>Generally, if you want to transfer files as quickly as possible,
>the best way is the "Kobold" file copy program. With this software,
>files aren't copied seperately, but "all in one" (I don't want
>to explain it more detailed here).

>If you use one of the alternative desktops Gemini 1.99 or Ease 3.0
>and if you have Kobold >=2.0, you can even configure the desktop
>to use Kobold and not GEMDOS operations to copy/delete/move files.
>That way, you don't need to start a separate program to get a maximum
>transfer speed.

>Kobold is also able to interpret own batch files. Ex.: an automatic
>backup of all *.c-files on partition D:.

>So this program contains new GEMDOS routines and also replaces a file
>copy, a disk copy and a backup program.

>I just don't know whether there is an english version or if it is
>available at all outside Germany.

Kobold 2.5 will be available shortly from System Solutions in the UK. I
can only confirm that it is a very good proram.

Speeding floppy->hardrive transfer

Post by Stephe Lewis Foske » Fri, 15 Apr 1994 03:46:29

Howard> I would agree, but it appears to me that Gauntlet II (one of
Howard> my favorite games of all time) doesn't work with 2.06
Howard> installed. Lord knows why, I doubt that it even uses the TOS
Howard> for anything.

I have used Gauntlet II on my MegaSTE with 2.06!  It crashes after one
level, but it runs until then...

'Guess I'll have to use Gauntlet and Populous on my old STf...

.s.
--

-                 Call my words a string of pearls                  -
-         But you will find the sheen loses all its luster.         -

Speeding floppy->hardrive transfer

Post by Hendrik Myli » Sat, 16 Apr 1994 22:13:00

Hi there!

DY>have an ADSCSI host adaptor with a Quantem ELS 127s harddrive and I
DY>find that copying files from floppy to any partition above D or E
DY>takes forever!

IMHO the best and safest way to improve your harddisk performance is to
install Tos 1.04 or higher in your mashine. It gives an overall boost in disk
speed.

When I upgraded my first MegaST from 1.02 (Blitter-Tos) to 1.04 and later to
KAOS 1.4x, the gain in performance was remarkable.

*Hendrik*

No mail > 16k!

Speeding floppy->hardrive transfer

Post by Hendrik Myli » Sun, 17 Apr 1994 04:58:00

Yo!

HT>> does not speed up the Floppies only the Hard Drive...
HT>> > Also you will ne amazed at the new features that TOS 1.4 has...
HT>> > There are many Dealer is OZZ that can supply TOS 1.4 Roms....

HT>Why not go all the way to TOS 2.06? I have an STE and the change
HT>from "Rainbow TOS" (I think it's 1.6) to 2.06 is amazing. I just feel
HT>like I can't do anything on a machine with anything less than that now.

In non STE's it's easier to install TOS 1.04 (which is the Rainbow-Tos).
For TOS 2.06 you have to do some hardware-fiddling to fit in and access the
MegaBitEproms correctly.

*Hendrik*

No mail > 16k!

1. PC CD -->> Atari floppy transfer

A friend of mine with an st used for sequencing/ sampling wants to transfer
files from a CD he got with Future Music magazine to a floppy.  How can this
be done (without investing in a new CD player).  We have access to Macs, PCs
& x86 Linux.

My only thought is using an emulatoe, I had MAC UAE for the Amiga but have
never played with it.  Will it be able to write to atari format disks?

Cheers for your help
please cc a direct response.
Mark

2. Can you resell AutoCAD?

3. > > > > > > > > > Atari ST Computers FORSALE

4. Test group etiquette

5. *>>*>>*>>*>>* Atari ST Computers FORSALE

6. expat app examples re: licensing?

7. PC<->A8 floppy transfers

8. Need web hosting