Mitsumi Floppy Drive-replacement 1040ST drive

Mitsumi Floppy Drive-replacement 1040ST drive

Post by Alyre Chiasso » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I need to replace the floppy drive in my 1040ST and have picked up a
Mitsumi D359T3. I understand you can use a 1.4 MEG drive but will only
be able to read and format 720k, which is okay for my use. I have found
the jumper settings on the internet for this model. However, they give
what they call numeric codes and alphabetical codes and twisted cable
and straight cable for both A and B. What are these? I was expecting
settings for just plain A or B.  I have also heard that you have to
reverse the cable in the 1040ST from what you would normally expect. Is
this correct? How do I arrange the pin alignment? Perhaps this drive
won't even work?

Thanks for the help.

Alyre Chiasson

Mitsumi Floppy Drive-replacement 1040ST drive

Post by Nicholas Bale » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hallvard Tangeraas a crit :

> > I need to replace the floppy drive in my 1040ST and have picked up a
> > Mitsumi D359T3.
>  [...]

> I've never used a Mitsumi drive with an Atari and have been told by
> others that they're about 2 mm too long for the screws or something...
> But I might be wrong.

I have a Mitsumi, and it fits perfectly well. The only problem is mine
has no jumpers.

I'll be making up a text file about how to adapt it. There is a
solderpad on the drive's PCB labelled SD1 or something (I'll check that)
that you have to short to change the drive ID.

Don't bother about inverting lines in the cable, that's for PCs and
doesn't work on Ataris. Just plug in the cable upside down.

To cure the media change problem, use fmc.prg in your AUTO folder,
available in the Quick FAQ.

Nick
--
 ===|||==================================================

 -'  '  `- http://quickfaq.atari.org   directprovider.net

Mitsumi Floppy Drive-replacement 1040ST drive

Post by Michael Schwing » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>what they call numeric codes and alphabetical codes and twisted cable
>and straight cable for both A and B. What are these? I was expecting
>settings for just plain A or B.  I have also heard that you have to
>reverse the cable in the 1040ST from what you would normally expect. Is
>this correct? How do I arrange the pin alignment? Perhaps this drive
>won't even work?

If the drive works correct on a PC (ie. jumpered for drive A, twisted
cable), you need to change one setting from DS1 to DS0 to use it in a ST.

On most modern drives, this will be a 0-ohm SMD resistor instead of a
jumper.

cu
Michael
--
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

Mitsumi Floppy Drive-replacement 1040ST drive

Post by Andy Blakel » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I don't know about the Mitsumi drive, but (since I'm in the middle of doing
the same thing with a Teac drive) I can tell you that if you only want it
to be a 720k drive, you need to (1) switch a jumper from "1" to "0".  The
default is probably "1", which is for PC's use.  The other allows the Atari
system to use the drive.  My Teac drive's jumpers don't suggest a "1" or
"0" anywhere, but just has A thru E with two rows of pins.  Maybe yours
will make it easier.  (2) Turn the ribbon cable upside down and plug it
in.  You might have to cut the little plastic notch on the cable's
connector.  Those two steps should do it for you!  Now, if you want to make
it work with both 720k AND 1.44meg, there are some instructions at the
Atari Hardware Hack homepage.  You might as well, since it will double your
storage capabilities and allows you to use PC formatted disks right out of
the package.

By the way, when you test the drive, don't use a valuable disk.  It might
get ruined.

Hope this helps,
Andy Blakely

> I need to replace the floppy drive in my 1040ST and have picked up a
> Mitsumi D359T3. I understand you can use a 1.4 MEG drive but will only
> be able to read and format 720k, which is okay for my use. I have found
> the jumper settings on the internet for this model. However, they give
> what they call numeric codes and alphabetical codes and twisted cable
> and straight cable for both A and B. What are these? I was expecting
> settings for just plain A or B.  I have also heard that you have to
> reverse the cable in the 1040ST from what you would normally expect. Is
> this correct? How do I arrange the pin alignment? Perhaps this drive
> won't even work?

> Thanks for the help.

> Alyre Chiasson

1. Floppy Drive replacement for 1040st

 I have a 1040st of which the floppy drive seem to be very badly out of alignment(this is the internal drive that I am speaking of). Anyway, I would like to replace the floppy with an equivalent generic drive, and I would like to hear from anyone who can reccomend which drives would be equivalent to the internal which I have now. (My machine is called the 1040st F) purchased in 1987. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

2. FP2000 adds 6k of staff to my asp files

3. Modifying a Mitsumi floppy drive

4. FS: Apple II Parallel Printer Card

5. Replacement ST Floppy Drive

6. Looking for white papers

7. ST floppy drive replacement

8. APPIAN disk accelerator

9. WTB: Replacement STE floppy drive!

10. replacement floppy drive

11. 1040ST disk drive replacement

12. Floppy Drive Replacement?

13. Replacement 720K drive for 1040st (external) info????