Transfer of text files between ST and MS DOS

Transfer of text files between ST and MS DOS

Post by dluzn » Mon, 10 Aug 1992 08:58:58

I need info on the possibility to read/write ST disks on a MS DOS
computer or vice versa. Any suggestions on this matter will be
appreciated, especially on software that could do the trick.

I want to be able to send 3.5" diskettes with text files (ASCII format) to my
friend. He has an ST computer, I have access only to an IBM compatible.
Communication through the modem is not feasible in our case.

newsgroup.

Tomek Dluzniewski.

Transfer of text files between ST and MS DOS

Post by Ian Lepo » Mon, 10 Aug 1992 13:48:15

        of Denver for the Denver community.  The University has neither
        control over nor responsibility for the opinions of users.

 > 3.5" disk to xfer between ST and MSDOS

 No problem, I do it all the time.  If you have TOS 1.04 or later, you can
format the disks on the ST (don't use twisted or other odd formats, just use
the desktop formatter).  If you have TOS 1.0, the disks it formats won't
work on the MSDOS machine.  In that case, just use the MSDOS machine to
format them.

--
- Ian
(void *) where prohibited by law

Transfer of text files between ST and MS DOS

Post by Steven.We.. » Mon, 10 Aug 1992 15:59:55

Format the disk on the IBM, or if the ST is an STE (or higher) format the
disk from the desktop.  It will then be treated as a standard disk by
both machines, and can be read & written to by both!

This SHOULD be in the FAQ, it has been asked about 5 times in the last
month or so - and is one of the ST's more obvious features to anyone
who has looked into it.  If a disk is formatted on an ST with TOS 1.4
or higher using the desktop - most IBM contemptibles can read them -
apart from the ones using mutant OS's!

If a formatter other than the desktop format is being used on the ST.
Make sure the format is 09-sectors per track.  80-tracks (00-79).
2-sides. and DO NOT use a 'twister', 'fast' or 'skewed' sector format.
Formatting the disk to these specifications on the Messy-DOS machine
will guarantee compatibility.
--

                   $$$$$$$$ Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre $$$$$$$$
                    Hey, this is an ST - not a typewriter!

Transfer of text files between ST and MS DOS

Post by TONY D'ALFON » Tue, 11 Aug 1992 08:34:11

You can still format a disk to be read both by a PC and ST using TOS 1.0, but
not from the desktop.  I have a couple of programs that format the disk in
such a way.  How else do you expect me to use PC Ditto?! :-)

    ____
     / o n y.

Post by Joseph Ada » Tue, 11 Aug 1992 06:19:11

> I need info on the possibility to read/write ST disks on a MS DOS
> computer or vice versa. Any suggestions on this matter will be
> appreciated, especially on software that could do the trick.

> I want to be able to send 3.5" diskettes with text files (ASCII format) to my
> friend. He has an ST computer, I have access only to an IBM compatible.
> Communication through the modem is not feasible in our case.

> newsgroup.

> Tomek Dluzniewski.

There should be no problem at all.  I'm not sure how you're going to be
formating the disks in question but any ST should be able to read any
standard 720K formated IBM disk.  You therefor just need to format your disk
Disk in a 720K format and copy the ASCII files in question to the disk.
You can then mail or give the disk to your friend and he/she should have
no problems reading them in his/her ST.

P.S.  I'm sorry if these post comes a little garbled.  This is the first
post I've made and I'm not use to the text editor I'm using.

Transfer of text files between ST and MS DOS

Post by Dave_Ninjajr_Fl.. » Wed, 12 Aug 1992 06:49:01

In addition to use by the DosHead machine, they can be read on a mac using
DosMounter, or any of the other DOS reading utilities, provided the Mac
has a High Density (1.44 meg) floppy drive.

Transfer of text files between ST and MS DOS

Post by Stephen Jaco » Tue, 11 Aug 1992 22:32:37

Just to make sure the mechanics are clear, to format a disk on a PC compatible
that will be usable on an ST, you do a
format <D> /s:9/t:80
Where <D> is the drive letter.  If the DOS version this is done under is earlier
than MS-DOS 5.0 (don't know about DR-DOS), the disk will not have a proper
serial number, so it is essential that an ST user access a disk formatted on
an ST in between using any 2 disks formatted this way.

Any disk usable on the general ST (this specifically includes 10-sector and
twisted formats, but not disks with too many tracks) can be made usable
on a PS/2 (and most compatibles) by putting the magic hex bytes (see faq) at
the start of the first sector.  (I won't force you to find the faq.  EB 34 90)

1. Atari DOS to MS DOS file conversion

I've got a neighbor that has a whole library of old ATARI games that he'd
like to run on his 286 machine.  These run under the ancient and now defunct
ATARI DOS 3.0 O/S, 8-bit graphics (I think). I told him that I had never heard
of a file conversion utility for ATARI DOS to MS DOS, but assured him that
I'd post and see if anyone out in netland may know of such a utility.

Thanks.

2. Can NIC multi task?

3. Convert Mac text file to Atari text file

4. ** AMIGA LOGO SURVEY **

5. HELP: Need transfer from Atari format to text file

6. Changing dpi

7. Wanted: Atari to DOS file transfer suggestions

8. Gaussian elimination.....Please help me....

9. Ms dos boot on ST disk

10. ST-MS DOS Emulator

11. Converting base2 files to PC database files (Lotus Approach or MS Excel)

12. Batch file conversion from St Writer and That's Write to MS Word??

13. Merging many text files into one file