Does WINX work on non-german TOS ?

Post by Ton van Overbe » Tue, 22 Sep 1992 21:45:23

I have tried to use WINX 2.0 (delivered as part of MultiGEM 2.0, also available
on atari.archive.umich.edu) on my TT with UK TOS 3.06. It does start but quits
with the message 'Cannot Identify GEM'. My guess is that it only works with
German TOS versions. Is this correct or does anybody have it working on a non
German TOS. I also tried it on my old ST with UK TOS 1.4 with the same result.

For those who do not know WINX extends the number of open GEM windows from 8 to
40 plus some other additions to GEM. Almost a must under MultiGEM with a few
applications open.

Ton van Overbeek

Post by Mark O'Bry » Thu, 24 Sep 1992 15:24:25

> I have tried to use WINX 2.0 (delivered as part of MultiGEM 2.0, also available
> on atari.archive.umich.edu) on my TT with UK TOS 3.06. It does start but quits
> with the message 'Cannot Identify GEM'. My guess is that it only works with
> German TOS versions. Is this correct or does anybody have it working on a non
> German TOS. I also tried it on my old ST with UK TOS 1.4 with the same result.

I've tried WINX 2.0 on U.S. ROMs for TOS 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, and 3.01.
It didn't work for any of them (which was very disappointing).
I'd really like to have the GEM window limit raised as well.
If anyone comes up with a patch to make this work, I hope they
will let us all know about it.

--

Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI  49008

Does WINX work on non-german TOS ?

Post by Stefan Monni » Thu, 24 Sep 1992 22:38:08

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.atari.st.tech: 23-Sep-92 Re: Does WINX

> > I have tried to use WINX 2.0 (delivered as part of MultiGEM 2.0, also
> available
> > on atari.archive.umich.edu) on my TT with UK TOS 3.06. It does start
> but quits
> > with the message 'Cannot Identify GEM'. My guess is that it only works with
> > German TOS versions. Is this correct or does anybody have it working on a non
> > German TOS. I also tried it on my old ST with UK TOS 1.4 with the same
> result.
> I've tried WINX 2.0 on U.S. ROMs for TOS 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, and 3.01.
> It didn't work for any of them (which was very disappointing).
> I'd really like to have the GEM window limit raised as well.
> If anyone comes up with a patch to make this work, I hope they
> will let us all know about it.
> --

> Western Michigan University
> Kalamazoo, MI  49008

I believe there is another prg which permits more windows
and it is called TOS 4.0 or MultiTOS (I can't remember)

        Stefan Monnier

1. Good news for non-German speaking Turbo C fans !

Hello all,

   ... good news for nen-German speaking Turbo C fans!!

   I called Borland Germany last friday and talked to the coordinator of
Turbo C beta testing.  He said that Borland Germany still has no plans to
offer Turbo C/ST in the USA (I didn't ask why :-).  But they are currently
looking for a British or US publisher to produce an English version of the
manual, so that they can offer an English version of the Turbo C package.

   I had offered to organize a bulk order of Turbo C and ship it to the US,
and a few people said that they'd be interested.  My offer still stands, but
I now propose to wait until Borland Germany comes up with an English version.

   What do people think?  In the past, Borland Germany has kept such announce-
ments, so I guess one could trust them to deliver in this case as well.

   If you don't want to wait and still want a German Turbo C 1.2 *now* or
the much-improved 2.0 in January (?), feel free to email me.

   Note:  I'm sorry that I haven't replied to all ppl interested in TC,
I'm currently being flooded with email.  I have noted all your names and email
addresses, though (if your mail ever reached me :-)

   PS: Ignac Kolenko, how the #3!! do I get email to you????

UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt             (Bonn, West Germany)

2. Immediate Requirements.

3. DOES JANUS WORK WITH NON GERMAN ROMS?

4. DHCP client adds invalid route

5. WORKS works on TOS 1.0

6. How does a registry editor refresh itself?

7. How to copy non-dos floppies to PC

8. fatbrain.com

9. Mtools & non-standard formatted DOS floppies on a Sun workstation

10. Winx -or- TOS from disk (and a minor announcement)

11. WINX and TOS

12. Winx and TOS upgrades

13. Help: Non-working links UTSI pages