Upgrading a Mega STe, PAK 68/3 68030, etc.

Upgrading a Mega STe, PAK 68/3 68030, etc.

Post by Gustavo Comeza » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi!
      I'm considering options for upgrading a Mega STe, and what I
have read about the PAK 68/3 68030 looks pretty attractive. I would
like to hear some comments on this board before I make a decision in
this regard. I have some specific questions, though:

1- What video modes are available? Would overscan work when using an
SC1224 as it does in the Falcon, or is a hardware modification
necessary?
2- Is it possible to use a VGA or SVGA monitor with this thing? Is it
necessary to add a video card for that?
3- Would Screenblaster work with it?
4- (VERY important) Does Linux/X run? As a matter of fact, that's the
primary reason why I want to do this: right now I'm running Linux and
X on a 14 Mb Falcon, and while it works beautifully, X is kind of
slow. I figure that with a 50 MHz buffer-equipped PAK/3 and an extra 8
Mb of RAM, Linux on the STe should run circles around the Falcon. I
know that I would have to install an FPU, but that's no big deal.

      On a separate note, I want to replace the internal HD with
something bigger; right now I have a 40 Mb Seagate ST157N. I'd like to
hear if any 3.5 SCSI HD would work, or if there is anything else I
should know.

      Any information on this will be appreciated. Thanks.

                                   Gustavo

Upgrading a Mega STe, PAK 68/3 68030, etc.

Post by Rich Tietje » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>      On a separate note, I want to replace the internal HD with
>something bigger; right now I have a 40 Mb Seagate ST157N. I'd like to
>hear if any 3.5 SCSI HD would work, or if there is anything else I
>should know.

Just about any Seagate will work.  I have two 1.08 gig Seagate SCSI drives
that I have used successfully with the internal Atari host adapter on the
MSTe.  Haven't tried it with the current 4 gig drive, though.

 My bookmarks:  http://www.teleport.com/~atari
 Files: ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/atari
 Remove the * (inserted to foil spambots) from my address to reply.
 #include disclaimer.h

Upgrading a Mega STe, PAK 68/3 68030, etc.

Post by Rich Tietje » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>This time last year, my trusty Seagate 52Mb internal drive died on me. I
<SNIP>
> The drive works great. Still, it
>hardly seems to be "plug in and play". If the advice I was given is
>accurate, you'll need professional help to alter the drive, unless you're
>confident with a soldering iron.

Almost any Seagate drive will be plug & play, up to about 1 gig at least.
Most otehr brands wil be a PITA using the Atari MEga STe host adapter, but I
suppose they can be modified to work.  However, since Seagate is available and
widely distributed, why bother?  Even my Seagate 4 gig will work, if I don't
want more than 4 partitions (and of course, I /do/, so I'm using an AdSCSI+).

 Remove the * (inserted to foil spambots) in my address to reply.

 My bookmarks:  http://www.teleport.com/~atari
 Files: ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/atari
 #include disclaimer.h

Upgrading a Mega STe, PAK 68/3 68030, etc.

Post by Oliver S. DePeye » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hang on, I had a rather different experience with my MegaSTE...

This time last year, my trusty Seagate 52Mb internal drive died on me. I
rang around all the usual UK Atari stockists (Gasteiner, Atari Workshop
etc.) and I also checked out mainstream PC retailers. Gasteiner told me
that I might as well use my host adaptor as a paperweight because no
modern hard drives would work with it! The guy on the 'phone said this was
due to parity problems.

The Atari workshop said this was exaggerating, and that they COULD get
more modern drives to work by wiring jumpers on the drive. For two hundred
pounds sterling - the same sum I had paid
 for my original drive two and a half years earlier - I got a huge 520
meg drive, and for 300 pounds I could have got a 1 gig. I understand that
prices have halved again since then!!! The drive works great. Still, it
hardly seems to be "plug in and play". If the advice I was given is
accurate, you'll need professional help to alter the drive, unless you're
confident with a soldering iron.

Still, that's only my experience. How have other people fared?

Yours,

Oliver