Whats the best software needed to use a CD Rom on a falcon

Whats the best software needed to use a CD Rom on a falcon

Post by Rob » Thu, 29 May 2003 06:52:52

I have a cd rom drive and I wish to use it on my falc. (for importing
aiff's into cubase audio)

Which is the best and easiest software to use to allow me to use the
drive on the falcon. I tried plugging it in and loaded up the HDdriver
(7.8) software, but I wasn't able to get the CD Rom working using just
this.

Thanks... Rob

Post by Gale » Thu, 29 May 2003 14:56:32

> I have a cd rom drive and I wish to use it on my falc. (for importing
> aiff's into cubase audio)

> Which is the best and easiest software to use to allow me to use the
> drive on the falcon. I tried plugging it in and loaded up the HDdriver
> (7.8) software, but I wasn't able to get the CD Rom working using just
> this.

HDDriver doesn't drive CDs by itself.  Other software is needed.  My
vote for best (though to be honest, I haven't used anything else in
the last five years) is ExtendosGold/CDWriter.  It costs a few bucks,
but runs very nicely.  See www.anodynesoftware.com.

Galen

Post by Wayne Mar » Sat, 31 May 2003 03:23:34

> HDDriver doesn't drive CDs by itself.  Other software is needed.  My
> vote for best (though to be honest, I haven't used anything else in
> the last five years) is ExtendosGold/CDWriter.  It costs a few bucks,
> but runs very nicely.  See www.anodynesoftware.com.

> Galen

I second that!

Wayne

Whats the best software needed to use a CD Rom on a falcon

Post by Mar » Sat, 31 May 2003 07:06:26

I've found that Cubase cannot import aiff files directly from a CD.
You have to copy them to your hard drive first. Midi files are OK
though.
Mark

> I have a cd rom drive and I wish to use it on my falc. (for importing
> aiff's into cubase audio)

> Which is the best and easiest software to use to allow me to use the
> drive on the falcon. I tried plugging it in and loaded up the HDdriver
> (7.8) software, but I wasn't able to get the CD Rom working using just
> this.

> Thanks... Rob

Whats the best software needed to use a CD Rom on a falcon

Post by Smeg » Sat, 31 May 2003 18:19:33

Quote:> I've found that Cubase cannot import aiff files directly from a CD.
> You have to copy them to your hard drive first. Midi files are OK
> though.
> Mark

This is because Cubase needs the samples to be on a SCSI hard drive.

Smeg.

Whats the best software needed to use a CD Rom on a falcon

Post by J.J.van de Gruite » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 17:15:56

That's true. Also CAF AIF's are not common AIF's but compressed. I've found
CAF has some problems with heavier imported 'real' AIF's. Slower screen
drawing with small portions and timing with larger.

Jos

> > I've found that Cubase cannot import aiff files directly from a CD.
> > You have to copy them to your hard drive first. Midi files are OK
> > though.
> > Mark

> This is because Cubase needs the samples to be on a SCSI hard drive.

> Smeg.

Whats the best software needed to use a CD Rom on a falcon

Post by Edward S. Baiz Jr » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 21:14:03

Quote:>I have a cd rom drive and I wish to use it on my falc. (for importing
>aiff's into cubase audio)

>Which is the best and easiest software to use to allow me to use the
>drive on the falcon. I tried plugging it in and loaded up the HDdriver
>(7.8) software, but I wasn't able to get the CD Rom working using just
>this.

>Thanks... Rob

I would try Extendos Gold. That is what I use on my Hades and STe.
Both computers recognize their respective CD rom drives just fine.

--
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)

HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha & Sony CDRW Drive, 1 gig
 Jaz Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, PCI Networking Card, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, GlueStik, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2002, Newswatch, Okami, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Mint(Net), Magic(Net), N.AES, Geneva

Whats the best software needed to use a CD Rom on a falcon

Post by n.. » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 03:41:11

I third it, it is the best on the Atari platform

--
Nick Harlow
16/32 Systems

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 18:41:11 GMT

Hi Nick,

Quote:>I third it, it is the best on the Atari platform

I don't ;-)
I thought it was common knowledge by now that SPIN! is the most versatile
CD-R driver on this platform, browsing through the replies in this thread
one would think the Anodyne package is the only one available.... another
option is MetaDOS, freeware and every bit as good as the Anodyne package.

Since all the poster wants to do is extract audio tracks and convert them
into *.AIF format I would even go as far as recommending him not to use a
driver at all.... CD Lab extracts audio files just fine, and all it needs
is a recent version of HD Driver.

SPIN! : can be downloaded from the Chapelie ftp server
METADOS : can be downloaded from the Chapelie ftp server
CD Lab : http://cdlab.atari.org

Cheers from Belgium
Dennis
--
        ____     ____     ____
       / __ \   / __ \   / __ \

http://www.cix.co.uk/~derryck/index.htm

Whats the best software needed to use a CD Rom on a falcon

Post by n.. » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 18:34:35

Hmm maybe , maybe not..

I notice the page hasn't been updated for a little while ... so I am not
convinced it is a supported profuct, whilst Anodyne is..

--

Post by Mark » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 05:22:12

> Hmm maybe , maybe not..

> I notice the page hasn't been updated for a little while ... so I am not
> convinced it is a supported profuct, whilst Anodyne is..

Heh,  What is all this stuff about support!?  Just give me the source code
and disappear if you like ;-)

Mark
http://atari-source.com

Post by Michael and Nicole Freema » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 05:35:43

> Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 18:41:11 GMT

> Hi Nick,

>> I third it, it is the best on the Atari platform

> I don't ;-)
> I thought it was common knowledge by now that SPIN! is the most versatile
> CD-R driver on this platform, browsing through the replies in this thread
> one would think the Anodyne package is the only one available.... another
> option is MetaDOS, freeware and every bit as good as the Anodyne package.

> Since all the poster wants to do is extract audio tracks and convert them
> into *.AIF format I would even go as far as recommending him not to use a
> driver at all.... CD Lab extracts audio files just fine, and all it needs
> is a recent version of HD Driver.

> SPIN! : can be downloaded from the Chapelie ftp server
> METADOS : can be downloaded from the Chapelie ftp server
> CD Lab : http://cdlab.atari.org

The problem I've personally run into is that *none* of these programs
recognize that my SCSI Yamaha CD-RW drive even exists at all, whereas the
Anodyne software has no problems recognizing and running it quite well. I've
followed the doc's for MetaDOS, SPIN, and CD Lab to the letter, and followed
helpful relies here in c.s.a.s., and it's always turned out the same: they
don't work and I am repeatedly recommended the Anodyne package instead. So
personally I wouldn't say SPIN is the *most* versatile CD driver. It does
nothing for me.

                        Mike Freeman

Whats the best software needed to use a CD Rom on a falcon

Post by Wayne Mar » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 02:02:18

Quote:> That's true. Also CAF AIF's are not common AIF's but compressed. I've found
> CAF has some problems with heavier imported 'real' AIF's. Slower screen
> drawing with small portions and timing with larger.

> Jos

I think that CAF's aiff's are only compressed when in 16 track mode?

Wayne

Post by Smeg » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 07:32:34

Quote:> > That's true. Also CAF AIF's are not common AIF's but compressed. I've
found
> > CAF has some problems with heavier imported 'real' AIF's. Slower screen
> > drawing with small portions and timing with larger.

> > Jos

> I think that CAF's aiff's are only compressed when in 16 track mode?

> Wayne

True. CAF uses the CPU to encode and the DSP to decode them, or is it the
other way round??

Cant be bothered to read the manual its v.late. ;-)

Smeg.

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 20:35:43 GMT

Hi Mike,

Quote:>The problem I've personally run into is that *none* of these programs
>recognize that my SCSI Yamaha CD-RW drive even exists at all, whereas the
>Anodyne software has no problems recognizing and running it quite well. I've
>followed the doc's for MetaDOS, SPIN, and CD Lab to the letter, and followed
>helpful relies here in c.s.a.s.,

I'm sorry to hear that you've got problems getting the Yamaha doing it's thing
under MetaDOS and SPIN!, but don't generalise your problem. I have two Yamaha's
here (8824S & 2200S) and both are recognised and work perfectly with both
drivers. I'm not the odd one out because I know several people here who
use Yamaha writers with these drivers....
As for CD-Lab it's simple: if the drive is MMC-3 compatible *and* a SCSIDRV
driver is installed, it works. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:>and it's always turned out the same: they don't work and I am repeatedly
>recommended the Anodyne package instead. So personally I wouldn't say SPIN is
>the *most* versatile CD driver. It does nothing for me.

I didn't say that SPIN! is the most versatile one because I like it better,
all one needs to do is to look at the features... and let's keep things in
perspective: all the original poster wants to do is to rip audio tracks from
a CD, one doesn't need to spend money on a driver to accomplish this. MetaDOS
in combination with CD Player from A.Claus (both freeware) will take care of
it.

Cheers from Belgium
Dennis
--
        ____     ____     ____
       / __ \   / __ \   / __ \
   /_____/  /_____/  /_/ Translations

http://www.cix.co.uk/~derryck/index.htm

1. CD Audio software done (you need BB, SCSI Cd ROM and ASPI manager, which is software)

Howdy folks

My Cd Audio Player utility works.  The user interface is crude (to say the
least), but you can PLAY, NEXT, PREV and OPEN.  NEXT and PREV even work if you
leave the CD playing while you leave the software and go do something else
(like play a game, use some other software, whatever) then come back and skip
to the previous or next track.  The software knows what track is being played.

I'll post the LISTed TurboBASIC listing in alt.binaries.atari.  All you have to
do is get the ASPI Manager software (ask me) and connect a SCSI CD ROM player
to your BlackBox (sorry, Matthias Belitz didn't have time to write ASPI
managers for other interfaces.  And at the moment he's the only one working on
this.)  A yes, convert the CR/LF to EOL.

CU                      Mathy van Nisselroy

PS I'ld like to thank Matthias Belitz for writing the ASPI manager, associated
software and especially for helping me write this utility.

2. Liteon ltr-32123s firmware question

3. Using Multimedia CD-ROMs on the Falcon

4. A quick and dirty survey

5. whats the best Atari to run CLAB Creator software on?

6. Policy not being applied

7. FS: Peavey SP/SXII Sampler,External Glyph CD-ROM,CD-ROMS

8. Money changes option to mutual fund

9. CD ROM software for the Falcon

10. CD-ROM with Falcon: What is needed?

11. Best Catalog and CD ROM Sale