STiK and 2400 modems

Post by Mr. Maddo » Tue, 24 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I know you must be laughing off your rump just from reading the header,
but I really do want to know...can I run STiK applications like Newsie on
a 2400 modem.  I really am trying to find a 14.4K modem for my ST but it's
so hard.  I hate having to send my ST off for a modem port upgrade when I
may be getting a PC soon and to use a 28.8K modem without the modification
at only 14.4K(19.2K compressed) is a bit of a waste.

I just want to mainly use IRC, newsgroups, and e-mail which are all text
based.  I don't even want to do any graphic web browsing, not without a
T-1 connection and Nova graphics card :)

As it stands, I use a shell account and it's always either too slow or not
working at all.  I think ISP's slag off shell accounts letting them go to
the pot so they can "encourage" people to buy Netscape and get more money
per month.

I know I should use a faster modem,if I can actually find one for sale,
but I could go with a short-term stop gap.  I hav 4 Mb and a hard drive
BTW

Eric Noss
a.k.a
Mr. Maddog

STiK and 2400 modems

Post by Robert_Bes » Fri, 27 Dec 1996 04:00:00

 > I know you must be laughing off your rump just from reading the header,
 > but I really do want to know...can I run STiK applications like Newsie
 > on a 2400 modem.

I've run STiK, AntMail and CAB on a 2400 modem, no joke, it works.

--- ScanMail 0.70c [IOS 0.70c]
 * Origin: http://www.worldaccess.nl/~rwbest/home.html (2:286/503.78)

STiK and 2400 modems

Post by Marc La » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: I know you must be laughing off your rump just from reading the header,
: but I really do want to know...can I run STiK applications like Newsie on
: a 2400 modem.  I really am trying to find a 14.4K modem for my ST but it's

My Atari 1040 STF (2,5 meg) runs fine with a 2400baud modem for more than
two years now. For textbased applications, what do you need more?
Grahpics: works, but too slow for serious jobs, of course.
STiK/CAB.OVL: are not really stable up until now on this machine, but all
my providers applications (Lynx, Telnet, Pine, TIN run wonderfull with 2400 baud.

Regards,

Marc_Laan_Amsterdam_Netherlands.

STiK and 2400 modems

Post by mrmad.. » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>: I know you must be laughing off your rump just from reading the header,
>: but I really do want to know...can I run STiK applications like Newsie on
>: a 2400 modem.  I really am trying to find a 14.4K modem for my ST but it's

>My Atari 1040 STF (2,5 meg) runs fine with a 2400baud modem for more than
>two years now. For textbased applications, what do you need more?
>Grahpics: works, but too slow for serious jobs, of course.
>STiK/CAB.OVL: are not really stable up until now on this machine, but all
>my providers applications (Lynx, Telnet, Pine, TIN run wonderfull with 2400 bau
>d.

Right, for text-based shell accounts the old 2400 gets the job done.
Heck, the Lynx browser on he remote Unix server is much quicker than
Netscape on a 28.8K...

But my problem is that the shell account that my provider has is
'rubbish'!!

Half the time I can't connect, everything is too slow, sometimes my
downloads from Lynx get corrupted, I use Lynx because I have no FTP
access whatsoever, no chat channels for crying out loud!  And
now...super slow newsgroup gathering with Pine, you can tell they
upgraded since things are now worse.

I solved that problem by reading my newsgroups with Lynx browser and
sending my replies through an e-mail server that Demon UK has.  So
far, works great...only I have to do a bit more to get my replies
typed up :)

Hopefully, I shall get a freaking fast modem soon.  If things don't
improve, I shall renounce computer technology as a torture device
to destroy people's sanity and go live with the Amish. :)

Eric Noss
a.k.a
Mr. Maddog

1. FS: 2400 Modem and 850 Interface

I have the following package for sale. You would pay shipping.

1 Atari 850 Interface Module with power supply, I/O cable, manual, and
the PM2400SA 2400 baud modem from Practical Peripherals with power supply
and manual. Take the whole package for $55.

All equipment in excellent condition.

All you need is an Atari 8-bit compatible modem cable and you are set
to go on-line up to 9600 baud in speed!

E-mail for more info and details.

2. LCD (HD47800)

3. Two 2400 Baud modems - $50