ADVOCACY: Re: 386SX prices

Post by Chris Herbor » Wed, 20 Jan 1993 17:54:30

> Irregardless of the price of a 386SX system, the question still remains,
> "Why would anyone WANT to cripple him/herself with a 386SX?". These CPUs
> were outdated before they were released. Absolutely useless machines.
> The RESPECTABLE dealers around here discourage SX purchases; some even
> REFUSE to sell SXs. So, who cares how little they cost. After all,
> you can get a great deal on a Commodore 128 as well!

Nobody's been saying "buy a '386sx"...  We've been saying, "Hey, look...
With a monitor, the Falcon030 4M/65M costs as much as a Mac LC II 4M/80M
or a '486sx/25 4M/100M...  Hmmm."

The '386sx is just like the '030 in the Falcon...  A 32-bit processor
hampered by a 16-bit bus.

--
-------------------========================================-------------------
Chris Herborth

1. ADVOCACY: RE: 386SX prices

I. Barnett wrote in a message on 18 Jan 93 to All

 IB> You are saying that a 386sx is outdated? Do you mean that a
 IB> 32 bit processor that communicates only 16 bits at a time is
 IB> too slow? Gee, didn't I just describe the Falcon030's architecture?
 IB> Wake up. If you contend that the 386sx is useless, then you
 IB> have to admit that the Falcon's (and Mac IIsi, Classic II,
 IB> and LCII) are equally as useless.

Whoa! The IIsi has a full 32 bit bus, unlike the LC and LC II. After all,
the IIsi is a _real_ Mac. :-) The system runs at 20 MHz, and with a 68882
added to it (as I have) it runs fairly consistently at half the speed of a
IIfx.

YHS:QSI! (A slightly irate IIsi owner :-))

2. open file name defaults

3. Windows Terminal & DDE?

4. ADVOCACY: More prices, prices, prices

5. Vindigo Problems

6. ADVOCACY: Prices, Prices, and more Prices.....

7. MSVC 1.5 - how do I force strings into CODE segment

8. 386SX prices

9. ADVOCACY: New Macs out - Falcon price obsolete?

10. ATonce-386SX

11. FS(UK): Vortex ATonce-386SX PC Emulator (for MegaSTe)

12. FS(UK) 386SX PC Emulator - MegaSTe only