WINX 2.1: how to change max # of windows?

WINX 2.1: how to change max # of windows?

Post by 'Flip » Sat, 18 Sep 1993 06:27:25

I just got WINX 2.1 from ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de and in all of the docs, I
couldn't find any reference to how to change the maximum window limit
beyond 8 (the default).

Can anyone give me some help?  Please?  :)

Post by Stefan Damer » Mon, 20 Sep 1993 20:51:00

C>to change the maximum window limit beyond 8 (the default).

Quite easy:

In WINX.INF (located in the AUTO-folder) Your favourite changes must be
defined. You can change GLOBAL and LOCAL switches.
The switch for more than eight windows is a GLOBAL one:

[WINX21.ENG On]
[G1] Increase number of available windows to 40 (instead of 8)
[WINX21.ENG Off

In WINX.INF You have to do this:

.GLOBAL  = [...] 1+ [...]

THEN You will get more than eight windows ...

Bye
  Stefan

===

Post by Achim Wilhe » Mon, 20 Sep 1993 20:16:00

C>I just got WINX 2.1 from ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de and in all of the docs, I
C>couldn't find any reference to how to change the maximum window limit
C>beyond 8 (the default).

When GEM starts, WiNX switches *all* switches to *ON*. Therefore switch G1 is
set to ON. G1 ON means 40 windows. G1 OFF means 8 windows. So, if you don't
change G1 in your WINX.INF, 40 windows are on. Check, wether the .GLOBAl = -
line contents a 1-. If so, remove the 1-.

BTW, do you use GEMRAM or ROMRAM? If not, WINX can't patch your system.

regards, Jimmy

Post by Achim Wilhe » Tue, 21 Sep 1993 23:56:00

SD>In WINX.INF You have to do this:
SD>
SD>.GLOBAL  = [...] 1+ [...]
SD>
SD>THEN You will get more than eight windows ...

False!

A short extract of my WINX.INF:

# WINX.INF
[stuff deleted]
# Globale Schalter
# ================

# Beim Start des GEM werden zunaechst alle globalen Schalter einge-
# schaltet. Dann werden die unter .GLOBAL angegeben Schalter veraendert.
# Syntax: '.GLOBAL' '=' <SCHALTERLISTE>.

This means:

Global switches

When starting GEM, all global switches are switched on. Then the switches of
.GLOBAL are changed.

Therefore he has to check, wether there is a .GLOBAL = 1- statemant in his
WINX.INF. If so, he has to remove the 1-.

regards, Jimmy